Aftermarket sending unit not the same

-

Moparornocar51

Reaction score
Hi guys my aftermarket sending unit has not the same length as my original sending unit and my 72 fuel tank shows full then even its just half?

Any ideas how i can fix this?

Thx Peter

There is only one aftermarket sender design. I suspect you have the correct sender and a bad gauge. Without pics of the sender you installed.... I'm clueless

15dmidc.jpg

here is the pic the aftermarket sending unit is 1/2" and its for 72 a-body but the length is different, any ideas?

thx Peter

That longer one with few bends would bounce on the bottom of the tank, put more force on the seal, etc.. the design was improved so the aftermarket repops the improved one. You will find they both reach the bottom of the tank, even though not reaching out toward the center of the tank quite equal.

Both senders operate on a range of 73 ohms at empty and 10 ohms at full. You have stock or aftermarket fuel gauge ?

thx for the reply i have stock fuel gauge, and it worked all the time, just when i get the new fuel sending unit it shows half even the tank was full, i f u say both reach the buttom then i will try with another gauge

thx Peter

thx for the reply i have stock fuel gauge, and it worked all the time, just when i get the new fuel sending unit it shows half even the tank was full, i f u say both reach the buttom then i will try with another gauge

thx Peter

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction here so I have to ask, What was the original problem and reason for replacing the sender ?
We can do a few tests with an ohm meter if you want.

I didnt had a problem with the old one but i changed my tank, it was very rusty and the original sending unit too, so i changed the unit also i didnt want to have a new tank with a rusty sending unit thats all, and now i need a 1/2" sending unit for my new engine

thx Peter

Are you sure the little ground jumper at the sender is making good connection ? If you ground the sender wire, Will the gauge go all the way to full ? Is the new tank an exact replica of the original ?
Do you have a multimeter ?
We will find the problem.

Hi yes it is an exact replica of the origina, i have a multimeter too, i will need about 1 or 2 months then i will knew more i work on my car now and i it will take some weeks that i can start with the fuel sending unit, but i will uptade you thx Peter

i swapped to that sending unit in my dart when the original quit working. it seems to read full alot longer, then when it drops it drops like a rock. the empty line is defiantly empty....l checked that before i put gas in it

i swapped to that sending unit in my dart when the original quit working. it seems to read full alot longer, then when it drops it drops like a rock. the empty line is defiantly empty....l checked that before i put gas in it

I bent the rod on mine so I had a bit of a "reserve" from E mark to actual empty in the tank, hopefully never run it that low but I also don't want it running out If it ever hits E before I get to a station

sim issue here, 72 val 318 car. put new unit in from YO. sender would not work. checked ohms all good. grounded unit outside tank (grounded to fuel line with ground strap) and moved float through motion. worked good. put back in tank. will not work. checked ground all seems good. bought new unit and it is doing the same thing. worked fine before. old one real rusty, and found hole in tube.
hope I am not hyjacking your post, maybe this will help us all.

I dont know why a sender would work in your hand and not work in the tank.
I know a crusty fuel line with crusty hangers may not provide a good ground path.
A crusty female connector on the harness can be a hit or miss connection.
i know there are some cheap senders undersized wire, plastic float, out there too. There is a contact in the sender that slides along a resistance wire winding. If the mechanical ( shaft and through holes ) is poorly built that moving contact might move away from the resistor. Just trying to help.

All good info. I have cleaned and checked the ground. You are right. Why will it work outside and not inside. I did bend the contact through the hole to make better contact. But will not work on inside the tank. I guess I will pull it apart and reclean and recheck everything. If I get it working. I will post to tell what I found.

-
Back