Aftermarket Tachometer

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
My 65 Cuda does not have a tach from the factory so I am looking to add one. I have two questions where is the stock position and how would it be connected?

I believe it would go to the the negative of the ignition coil but I am having trouble getting good info on that part.

i dont know much about the early cars but i think they had a "ralley" dash of sorts with the tach installed... can you take a picture of your current cluster?

SS-20091219235439.png

I dont know if this is going to help but here is where my aftermarket tach is

Attachments

• 048 (Copy).JPG
    135 KB · Views: 230
Stock location is just to the left of the instrument cluster.

In 1966 the tach was to the right of the speedometer. Non tach cars had a Vacuum Gauge in this place. Not sure if 65 were the same. What I did to my 66 was made a plate to fit the Vacuum Gauge hole and cut a hole in the center to mount a old (cira early 70s) Super Sun Tach. Looks pretty good. The classic dash or column is always cool too.

I ended up mounting it on the steering column. Same exact tach as mopardt. Looks great. It was a bit of a pain getting it connected but it worked out well in the end.

Side note question. On a slant six where should the RPM be set? Secondly the redline indicator where should it be? I tested it today and really slammed the throttle but I couldn't get above about 3200 rpms.

-
Back