Age of "new" tires

-
CF6ED95F-055D-4051-814D-36A779B5EE2E.gif

Yeah, that doesn't track. I could understand "new" tires being a couple years old because of the whole international shipping/port issues that have arisen. But, 3-4? Sorry, but that's pre-Covid. Which makes it before the factory and port shutdowns. Nope. I get it, the ports are backlogged now and we will be dealing with that for awhile because like a lot of things the ports were running at max capacity before the shutdowns to maximize profit. And if you're already at max capacity clearing a backlog isn't fast. But it is definitely being used as an excuse to screw people over too, and it seems like that's what's going on here.

And what's legal is a whole different story. Maybe it's legal to sell somebody 5 year old tires as new, but if no one will repair them past the 7 year mark it sure as heck isn't right.

Sounds like you need a new tire shop. If nothing else, they certainly don't seem too concerned about keeping you happy or doing a good job.

I think you missed the part where he said he only puts like 6k miles a year on this particular truck, they were going to age out before they wore out from the beginning. Which makes the age a lot more important. I don't stress out too much over timed out tires as long as they still look good, but even if they look good and are 7+ most tire shops won't even touch them now. So your ability to go past 7 years is entirely dependent on not needing any tire repairs.
I didn't miss it. I was trying to say that if the tires were on a daily driver that was gonna wear em out, no big deal.
If theyre on a vehicle where they will be timed out, I want my seven years.
In one of my posts above, I noted that those tires are already 40%done. Id ask for a proportionate refund.

I guess I was lucky getting 19th week of 2022 Cooper Cobras installed 3 weeks ago. Local tire shop and he had to order them. I checked the dates before they started to mount the tires.
I had had 48 year old NOS Goodyear Rally GTs on the car mounted about 18 months ago and put about 300 miles on them while sorting out the car. One of the front tires developed cracks a couple months ago. Fortunately, I had an extra NOS to replace it and the shop mounted it. Radials are on now and who know if the old bias plies ever go back on.
Old rubber is good if it was stored properly. New rubber is of poor quality and deteriorates quickly in the sun. If a cars sit outside I would check the sidewalks of the tire regularly, especially close to the rim. And yes, sounds like a BS story from the shop.

Well, I went back and ask them about it. The supervisor said that all the 'new' tires they get now are 2-3, or even 4 years old. He cited covid-related issues, which seems to be the default excuse for all poor service these days. Who knows, maybe that's just me. When I asked him if he thought that was okay, he said yes. He said the law allows them to sell tires up to 5 years old as 'new.'

He offered to replace them with another set, but couldn't guarantee they'd be any newer and said the best he could do is give me a $40 refund, which is what they apparently charge for labor.

On another note, I had them check one tire that I noticed didn't have any balance weights on it. I asked them about it when they installed the tires last week because I saw them struggling with the balance machine on that one. At the time they told me the tire zeroed out and didn't require any weight. Well, low and behold, it needed a couple. When I asked them about it, they said it must've fallen off on the highway. :BangHead:

Needless to say, they lost a loyal customer.

I hope you detail that in a review of their business somewhere. Hopefully they fix the problems, but I somehow doubt it. Other folks should know, and obviously the shop needs some incentive to fix issues because it doesn't sound like they've got a proactive attitude.

As far as the Covid excuse, it's BS - BUT it's also slightly possible. Not because of bottlenecks and slowdowns, but because in 2020 and a large part of 2021 people quit driving or at least driving less. I could see stock aging on the shelf an extra couple of years.

Their response should have been: let us order some same/similar tires in and see what the mfg year is and if they're newer we'll swap them for you. At worst they'd lose some labor and a few hundred on the tires. Now, they've not only been outed as not really caring about the quality of the wares they sell but also the quality of their service with regard to the balancing issue.

Last edited:
Just a little food for thought. Everybody talks about how bad the rubber is. Question, how many rubber plantations do you think are located in the USA ?
None. Never has been. Those trees won't grow in our climate.
The rubber plantations were originally in Brazil, the Amazon region, then smuggled out of the country and eventually to Malaysia. Now Thailand, Asia, Indonesia produce most of the worlds natural rubber supply. It is a tropical plant. It has always been an import product and is refined here.

Well, I went back and ask them about it. The supervisor said that all the 'new' tires they get now are 2-3, or even 4 years old. He cited covid-related issues, which seems to be the default excuse for all poor service these days. Who knows, maybe that's just me. When I asked him if he thought that was okay, he said yes. He said the law allows them to sell tires up to 5 years old as 'new.'

He offered to replace them with another set, but couldn't guarantee they'd be any newer and said the best he could do is give me a $40 refund, which is what they apparently charge for labor.

On another note, I had them check one tire that I noticed didn't have any balance weights on it. I asked them about it when they installed the tires last week because I saw them struggling with the balance machine on that one. At the time they told me the tire zeroed out and didn't require any weight. Well, low and behold, it needed a couple. When I asked them about it, they said it must've fallen off on the highway. :BangHead:

I tell you what I'd do. Contact the DOT in your state and tell them the story. See what they say.

Never had an issue with running older tires as long as they were in decent shape...except I had 9 blowouts flat towing a '39 Ford back from MN to WI with 50 year old Ford script tires...

Oh and my 11 year old tires on my potato trailer liked to pop when 30,000 overloaded.

Other than that, no.

Well, I went back and ask them about it. The supervisor said that all the 'new' tires they get now are 2-3, or even 4 years old.

I think the "supervisor" is full of ****. I would definitely make an inquiry with DOT. I bet they are not even legally able to sell those tires as "new"!!! Another idea is to contact the tire manufacturer and ask them to step in with the tire store.

That's Messed up Brother! But I'd Lose the Crooked Losers too! And Yes, the C excuse is Way over played....

Seems like everything that is rubber, is outsourced to China, Taiwan, India, ect. Our good ol American rubber I've seen in pretty doggone good shape after 40 years or so (not speaking of tires), and I've seen this new stuff (even though these people don't have the regulations we have here at all) just produce garbage, that turns to crap, within a couple of years. I remember when I was younger running 20-year-old tires on cars. For a tire that new to blow out to me that's unheard of man that's just crazy

The tracks on that old combat engineer vehicle are still good...

Not a mopar powertrain and that's why it hasn't moved in decades.
Son, you know you're gonna drive me to drinking if you don't stop drivin that
Hot
Rod
Lincoln.
Brakes are good, tires fair.

Continental AV1790 - Wikipedia

Yeah, I know it's not a lincoln continental, watsdadifference.

upload_2022-8-1_23-42-58.png

The tracks on that old combat engineer vehicle are still good...

Not a mopar powertrain and that's why it hasn't moved in decades.
Son, you know you're gonna drive me to drinking if you don't stop drivin that
Hot
Rod
Lincoln.
Brakes are good, tires fair.

Continental AV1790 - Wikipedia

Yeah, I know it's not a lincoln continental, watsdadifference.

View attachment 1715964572
There's a Tank, forget model, at a park in Hudson FL, Chrysler Corp Built and Powered!

Considering that most tire manufacturers now consider 7 years to be the maximum age I wouldn’t accept 3 year old tires on a new install. Some tire shops will not service tires more than 7 years old now too.

I could understand tires that were maybe a year to 18 months. I’d bring up anything much more than that. I would suggest bringing your receipt and going back to that shop.
Welll, problem comes up on size selection. Some collector car sizes do not sell quickly as compared to newer sizes. The tire store may have installed what is available to them. Both they and their supplier will be trying to sell older stock.
Now if the car is garaged outside of while being driven, the tires do not deteriorate the same as if they are out in the sun. The 7 year is kind of arbitrary and we need to consider tire shops are looking to maximize profits like everyone else. It is like you used to put "snow tires" on the rear for winter. Now some wet behind the ears youngster gives you the routine that it changes the handling charcteristics and their insurance won't let them do that. So you have to put all 4 on the same. Almost 70 years old punk, I know how to drive. My money says many of these youth will not make it to 65 these days.

Welll, problem comes up on size selection. Some collector car sizes do not sell quickly as compared to newer sizes. The tire store may have installed what is available to them. Both they and their supplier will be trying to sell older stock.
Now if the car is garaged outside of while being driven, the tires do not deteriorate the same as if they are out in the sun. The 7 year is kind of arbitrary and we need to consider tire shops are looking to maximize profits like everyone else. It is like you used to put "snow tires" on the rear for winter. Now some wet behind the ears youngster gives you the routine that it changes the handling charcteristics and their insurance won't let them do that. So you have to put all 4 on the same. Almost 70 years old punk, I know how to drive. My money says many of these youth will not make it to 65 these days.

That's the tire shops problem, not mine. Selling tires that are nearly half way through their time-life is shady, regardless of how they're stored. Because the tire shop will not look at those 7+ year old tires, say "they look good" and patch them if you pick up a nail later. They will point to the date, say the "rules" say they aren't allowed to service that tire, and tell you to buy replacements.

And, the car in question is not a collector car, it's a modern truck running what should be relatively common sizes.

I get the "profit margin" argument for the shop, but it's irrelevant to the buyer. That's the shops problem. And if the shop will sell you half dead tires, well, time to get a new shop.

I may be a little short on new tire laws but I see no problem with outdated tires. I very seldom buy new tires because good used tires are easy to find for a low cost. I almost never have a tire problem with used tires other than wornout tread. I've probably only had more than ten flats in the 67 years I've been driving. If the casing is good and there is a decent amount of tread, I'm happy. If you're not driving at 70 mph or over in our old cars, whats the problem?

To me, a couple year old tires on a driver will be worn out before seven years, and I wouldn't worry about it.
I have several cars with timed out tires on them. Until I KNOW I will be putting on a couple thousand miles a year on em, the aren't getting new.
When they do get new tires, they better be NEW, cause I need those seven years.
That's my thinking, but I'm pushing it now. My tires are 20 years old now, Red lines on my Dart. I will not "HOT DOG" it now but will take it out on a Sunday drive. It is kept indoors and I do check for cracks. At $250.00 a tire, I will stretch out the years a little longer. I sure do miss the pounding of the gears. I'm debating on buying a set of "TA's" and installing them on a set of Rally's that I have and saving the dinosaurs for car shows.

Yes, show me the dates before I pay. I don’t buy from local stores because they charge too much.

This year I bought 3 new sets of tires.
2 new sets off eBay, both 3 months old.
1 set from an online tire seller, I called first they said up to 3 years old is what they sell. They are 1.5 years old.

-
Back