Air cleaner

-

justcuz

Reaction score
Will the chrome air cleaner set up give me more power than the factory air cleaner?

IMG_2969.jpeg

IMG_2968.jpeg

I switched from this
IMG_6570.jpeg

To this
IMG_0207.jpeg

I do believe it made more power. Probably because it says Direct Connection on it though.

I think the more sq/in a filter media has, the better. Ideally, you want fresh air. Think of newer vehicles with a tube and an air box with filter media a few feet up stream from the carb near the grille.

Hell no, and it’s a deep subject. It requires deep thought, work and money just like anything worthwhile.

Just so you know, that stock air cleaner housing brings stupid high resto/collector money.

The only way to know is if you have it flow tested AND measure the pressure drop inside the air cleaner like over the carb/injector and compare it to the pressure drop inside the intake manifold.

How deep do you want to dig the hole?

The most important thing (next to a fresh/cold air source) is the flow rate of the filter media.
Basically, if it's too fine you'd need a filter two feet tall to feed your motor. But, the more porous it is the less filtration you get. You need to find a compromise- your motor can only utilize what your carb, heads and cam will allow it to flow.
Go to the manufacturer's websites, and somewhere they'll have flow numbers for each filter. You'll gain more by finding a free-flowing element than you will by changing air cleaner housings.
For example, the Wix 42044 air filter flows 160 cfm. The similarly-sized 42081 flows 275 cfm.
Which one would you want to use?
Find the free-est flowing element that will fit your housing, and run with it.

Flipping the lid adds 25 HP, maybe 30HP with a 3/4 race cam, and potentially 50HP when you’re blasting creed.

I switch between my factory 70 340 air cleaner and this one.
I am certain this one flows more. But I like them both a lot so I change them back and forth.
Maybe if I chromed this one, it would be even faster. "¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
Just test fitting it here in this picture.
1712962613116.png

I use plumber's putty to check for clearance to the hood, just to make sure before closing the hood for the first time.
You can see the one on the peak of the air cleaner is the closest to the hood bracing.
The center peak plumber's made just a little contact when fully closed, but it's still all good.
1712963182228.png

I would say it depends on how much air your motor sucks through the filter. For example, I run the factory 71 air cleaner and picked up a decent amount unsealing the lid a 1/4".

I cut a hole in my hood and put a custom air filter on top of the hood, then sealed the hood to the carb.
Previously the car went 106 in the Quarter trapping ~6500 in Third gear, with a regular 2.66Low 4 speed and 3.55 gears.
afterwards;
the car went 93 in the Eighth, trapping at 7000 in Second-over; with a 3.09Low, 3.55s, and splitting gears with a GVod; which the Wallace calculator predicts is over 115 in the quarter.
So IDK, that's 13 mph on cold air.
Back calculating, with the Wallace, at the raceweights the car was at;
106 is 340hp@3650 lbs, and
115 is 410hp@3457
that's an increase of 70 hp.
Oh, lol;
I almost forgot to tell you,
I installed a cam, one size bigger, too.
Going from 223*050, to 230.*
So;
How much was cam, how much was reduced-weight, how much was gear-splitting, and how much was cold air, I cannot tell you.
But I can tell you, that with cooler above-the-hood air, the engine asked for bigger jets. How could I say no, lol?

probably not at your power level, a big assumption on my part, but I’m somewhat familiar with that air cleaner and know someone running low 10’s with it and with a slightly taller filter. Which creates about 1/2-1” gap between the lid and housing. That housing is about $700+ to buy. I’m suppose to make one out of carbon fiber, but I’m not stripping their family heirloom :) and not buying one. Actually was thinking about scanning the “heirloom” and 3d printing a mold of it, but that would mean I would have to actually BUY a 3d printer and scanner!!!! The point is, you can reach the total flow ability of a stock air cleaner. I did on my unsilenced 68 cleaner, but you have to have a pretty serious effort car.

-
Back