Air compressor sale

-

GTXDAN

Reaction score
If you want a new compressor big enough to pretty much do anything you need Tractor Supply has a sale starting on Tues 11/22 - 11/26. They have an 80 gal. 2 stage Ingersoll Rand:
• 15.8 CFM@90 PSI
• 175 PSI max.
• 5 H. P. motor 230 volt
Cast iron compressor
$1200 in GA
toolmanmike on FBBO says he shows $1099 where he lives in Iowa

20221122_112930.jpg

20221122_112950.jpg

20221122_113053.jpg

They are $1099 here in Lake Havasu City as well. I have been looking at these for a while. I’ve priced a variety of air compressors over the last few years and had planned to buy a new one (and perhaps a drier) when I got ready to paint my car(s). A friend bought a nice Quincy two-stage with a 60 gallon tank a few years ago for about the same price. At that time it had a five-year warranty (if you bought their maintenance kit) and was all US made. Now I’m pretty sure they are assembled from at least some Chinese parts. The Ingersolls are off-shore now as well, but I’ve read good things about them. At my age I don’t need a compressor that will last 20 years. It just needs to paint a couple of cars. My current compressor is a high-performance single-stage that I bought as a damaged unit from Home Depot about 10 years ago after the tank rusted out on my old two-stage compressor. I had budgeted about $2000 to buy a compressor, but I’m thinking that I’ll buy the Ingersoll and use the savings to buy a drier. I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has purchased one of these and what kind of luck they’ve had. Thanks for posting this GTX Dan. BTW, Tractor Supply has what appears to be a pretty good deal on some gun safes too, if anyone is interested.

For some reason the local store here in GA has this compressor for $1200, but I checked online at the store just 10 miles south and they have it for $1099. Checked some other stores farther away and they are all $1099. Must be that I'm so close to ATL that it is effecting the price. Another reason not to live in or close to ATL.

I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has purchased one of these and what kind of luck they’ve had.
If the normal selling price is around $2,800 it's the same one I bought from a shop across the street from my work because it was "broken" less than two years after purchase. Per the previous owner, the motor failed within the warranty period, but replacement was not a'tall dramatic. The long version of this story is pretty funny, but the short version is: it wasn't broken at all, it was full of water.

I haven't had it running long, but it's relatively quiet and moves a lot of air. I really like it, but for $150 who wouldn't?

I have a quincy, its a really nice compressor. Those IR units are harry homeowner compressors. Might be good enough for your needs but you get what you pay for.

I have a quincy, its a really nice compressor. Those IR units are harry homeowner compressors. Might be good enough for your needs but you get what you pay for.
You’re absolutely correct. I’ve bought and sold a lot of compressors over the years. I bought the IR from Tractor Supply and I’m going to pick it up Friday. If it’s crap I’ll let everyone know and you can say ”told you so!”

Are there any affordable new compressors that use 1725 rpm motors? I've always thought the lower rpm models are more geared toward the industrial sized compressors and not the 60-80 gal homeowner-type sizes.

Compressor rpm is as much a factor of pulley size as motor rpm
I learned a lot about that one with a'50s champion compressor I had at my old house.
I thought a bigger motor might help air output, not really. I replaced a 1725 rpm motor with a 3450, I ended up having to replace the motor pulley with a much smaller pulley to then slow down the pump.
I now have (and have had for ~20 years) a 2 stage, 4 cyl pump, 5hp 80 gallon upright Emglo that I bought at the time out of the local paper. About 5 years ago I had a valve issue so I tore it down and overhauled it/all new valves, new gaskets new rings. And as good as new again.

I've been looking for a similar compressor for my kid, and have been blown away at asking prices. I was just emailing back n forth with a guy in my area that had a newer champion 2 stage on CL I don't know what model but it's a 3 hp 2 stage upright, and he threw out a $1500 asking price saying it's 1/2 price of the current version, I don't think he's comparing apples to apples. But that's 3x what I paid for mine 20 years ago.
Which at the time a then local compressor dealer offered to double my money in cash "right then" when I went there looking for filters for it.

Our tractor supply did not have that IR compressor in stock......even though they had the price tag on the shelf and it was even marked with the sale price. We went by last night for a few other things and I asked if they would be getting some back in and they said yes, next week. I asked if they'd honor the sale price since they didn't have an on sale item in stock. Of course, no.

Can you get a raincheck, even if you have to put some money down before the sale price expires?

I haven't had much luck with the local tractor supply. They haven't been here long, are a small store vs others I have been in, and are hands down THE most expensive place around here to buy when talking about buying any "same exact thing" anywhere else around.
I've bought stuff there, and the price at the register comes up higher than what's posted on the floor they won't honor the posted at the display price either. I've entered the checkout line there twice since they came to town and left what I went in for, on the counter, walked out empty handed because of this.

Can you get a raincheck, even if you have to put some money down before the sale price expires?

I haven't had much luck with the local tractor supply. They haven't been here long, are a small store vs others I have been in, and are hands down THE most expensive place around here to buy when talking about buying any "same exact thing" anywhere else around.
I've bought stuff there, and the price at the register comes up higher than what's posted on the floor they won't honor the posted at the display price either. I've entered the checkout line there twice since they came to town and left what I went in for, on the counter, walked out empty handed because of this.
I could have gotten a rain check if I had caught it in time, but by the time I saw it here, the sale was already off and they'd sold all three they had.

For 90% of my needs my current compressor is overkill. But when I get to running my sandblasting cabinet it does struggle a bit. Once it kicks on it doesn't stop until a few minutes after I stop blasting.
While blasting it gets down to 90 Psi and stays at 90 til I stop blasting. It's rated at 17.some cfm at 175 psi (might as well round it off to say 18) and (I forget which, either 21 or 24 cfm rated at 90psi)

I have an 80 gallon tank with my compressor, my cousin has a bare tank in his garage that I've been told before that I can have, since he has realized that he will never get around to building the compressor he wanted to back when he got it) I believe his is a 120 Gallon tank. I have been seriously considering it, and plumbing it into mine so that would give me 200 gallons of air capacity. I need to pour a pad and build an "outhouse" size shed behind the garage for it and my existing compressor before I can do it.
Back when I built my garage, my compressor was housed in my 10x12 shed which is on the opposite side of the house from the only spot on my lot where the building inspector would allow me to build my 30x36 garage, I'd had it plumbed into the attached garage back then, I only had to run 15' of conduit from my box to the shed and 10" of air pipe back thru the wall to have air in that garage without hearing it bang as I worked. My 1st workaround was 125' of air hose from the compressor to the new garage whenever I needed air out there. I eventually moved the compressor out to the new garage, and I now have to listen to it bang away any time im out there working..... So I want to build an add on outside "closet" right behind the garage to move the compressor into.

I could have gotten a rain check if I had caught it in time, but by the time I saw it here, the sale was already off and they'd sold all three they had.
It's not your fault they didn't take the sign down at that point. If you'd have gotten that raincheck right then while it was still posted they should have had to honor the sale price

Just thought I’d update my response, mainly because I told GTX Mike I would and because I agree with what he said. Just before going down to pick up the Ingersoll at Tractor Supply I went over the specs and noticed it was 72” tall. I have a dedicated space I want to use that‘s close to the outlet I have my current (5hp single-stage Campbell Hausfeld) connected to. It’s just under a mezzanine built at the end of my RV garage, and it measured… 70”. So, I had a moment of reflection and said the hell with it. It gets better. Yesterday afternoon I found a Quincy QT-54, which is what I really want, for sale in Utah, at not much less than the going price. Sent him an offer and haven’t heard back. I got up this morning and checked FB marketplace and found a new QT-54, still in the plastic wrap for… $1200! In Lake Havasu! I was number two in line, I think number one is going to get it.

My thoughts: If you find a good deal on a good air compressor, new or used, buy it, even if it hurts a little. It’ll last you the rest of your life, and the way inflation is going, you may be able to sell it for what you paid for it someday. When I turned my tools in from my Snap-On truck I kept a brand new 5hp, 60 gallon Champion for my home garage. I used to sell a lot of those and had good luck with them. About a month afterwards, I got a call from an old customer on a weekend whose shop compressor had died. He knew I’d kept the Champion and talked me into selling it. I’ve regretted that since 1985. I got by for 25 years on my backup compressor which was an old Wayne (very good stuff) compressor driven by a GE 2hp motor that is twice the size of a modern 5hp. I finally retired it when the tank rusted out. In the meantime, I’d just moved and needed air. I picked up the CH I have how for $300 on closeout at Home Depot. It was supposed to be $500, but it was the last one and had a damaged pressure gauge. It’s still running 10 years later, but it’s noisy as hell. Now I can afford to buy anything I want, and I’m going to buy a QT-54, because it’s what I want.

I am a bit late here, but are those the single phase units?

usually when I find a good one they are 3 phase, so difficult to adapt for my situation.

I've had that compressor for a few years now. It's been fantastic. Only thing I've had to change is the petcock on the bottom. Does everything I need, including paint.

Depends on what you will use it for. The 175 PSI is normally a two stage which builds pressure but not so much volume. I have a Devil-biss 80 gallon upright that came with a 175 PSI two stage compressor and would not stay up with the bead blasting cabinet that I use a lot.
When the pump wore out I replaced it with a 2 cylinder/single stage pump.
The difference is that a two stage pump uses the 2 cylinders to build the pressure up, meaning 2 rotations to one power pump.
A single stage is pumping every rotation but at a lower pressure, normally 140-150 PSI. This give more volume.
My compressor now catches up and shuts off while I blast where the other pump ran continuously.
Two stage for pressure, single stage for volume.

I am a bit late here, but are those the single phase units?

usually when I find a good one they are 3 phase, so difficult to adapt for my situation.
Greg, if you're asking about the IR compressor this thread is about, yes, they are single phase.

-
Back