Air flows: Street Dominator & Edelbrock RPM

-

IQ52

Reaction score
There are a lot of other things I would have rather been doing, but we got involved in some flow test comparisons between the two intakes. We've got a 440 coming in for dyno tests and I believe we'll be able to tests the two intakes in back to back dyno runs.

There are a lot of other things I would have rather been doing, but we got involved in some flow test comparisons between the two intakes. We've got a 440 coming in for dyno tests and I believe we'll be able to tests the two intakes in back to back dyno runs.
This oughta be good. Have you ever tested a Torker II

Performer RPM is tough to beat for a street type engine. The street dominator is a good manifold but it sure is ugly. I sent an email to Holley marketing a while back and suggested that they update the street dominator but getting rid of the ugly stuff and adding some injector bungs. They never replied. Probably too good of a suggestion for them! They already make EFI kits for other engines so why not spend a few bucks on the street dominator intake and then they can offer a complete turn key EFI setup for Mopar big blocks.

Performer RPM is tough to beat for a street type engine. The street dominator is a good manifold but it sure is ugly. I sent an email to Holley marketing a while back and suggested that they update the street dominator but getting rid of the ugly stuff and adding some injector bungs. They never replied. Probably too good of a suggestion for them! They already make EFI kits for other engines so why not spend a few bucks on the street dominator intake and then they can offer a complete turn key EFI setup for Mopar big blocks.
When I spoke with Holley they assured me the EGR pad on the Street Dominator was being redesigned......................as a small drone landing pad.

When I spoke with Holley they assured me the EGR pad on the Street Dominator was being redesigned......................as a small drone landing pad.
I looked at hughs website on intake flow numbers, the street dominator don`t look too hot on there, "even reworked! The torquer 2 is pretty decent for hood clearance, but the 4 corner runners are the low flowing ones. I would look at something else for big flowing heads than the street dom. I reworked the h--- out of my torquer 2, but still wonder about it on a flow bench. These tests will interest a lot of guys on here, me included ! Kepp us informed !---

I looked at hughs website on intake flow numbers, the street dominator don`t look too hot on there, "even reworked! The torquer 2 is pretty decent for hood clearance, but the 4 corner runners are the low flowing ones. I would look at something else for big flowing heads than the street dom. I reworked the h--- out of my torquer 2, but still wonder about it on a flow bench. These tests will interest a lot of guys on here, me included ! Kepp us informed !---
The only Hughes test I see for the Street Dominator was when they weld modified the plenum to 4150 style from the original spread bore carburetor opening. We have not modified the plenum but quickly ported the runners and gone from 270 cfm average to 306 cfm average. I don't know when we will get to do more work, but one port was so bad it got a little more attention and picked up 53 cfm.

I'll be watching this with interest. I went with the Street Dominator on my stroker 400, mainly for hood clearance as I wanted to run a stock air cleaner. I did port match the runners and clean up the ugly a bit by removing the webbing in the front with the Holley name cast into it. The landing pad is still there but out of sight.

IMG_2063.JPG

For what it is and how it was designed to perform (Street Dom) it seems to do well or at least according to the rags.

For what it is and how it was designed to perform (Street Dom) it seems to do well or at least according to the rags.
Flow #'s nice to see. That's about it . Read world street/strip comparison so minute. It will take big #'s for me to switch to the RPM and I don't think they are there.
Street ability, ET and MPH, that is.

This will be a comparison I will enjoy seeing. I was set on going RPM on my 440 until I realized how tall it is so i went with the SD instead.

The only Hughes test I see for the Street Dominator was when they weld modified the plenum to 4150 style from the original spread bore carburetor opening. We have not modified the plenum but quickly ported the runners and gone from 270 cfm average to 306 cfm average. I don't know when we will get to do more work, but one port was so bad it got a little more attention and picked up 53 cfm.
Wasn`t that weld up thing done to an m1 ? I have a 1200 cfm throttlebody, w/ 8 injectors in it, I don`t think it would work very well w/ a dual plane. The thing is actually bigger than the interior of the carb pad on a perf. rpm. Hood clearance is tite, top of the filter is about 3/8" from the bottom of my 6 pack scoop,w/ a drop base bottom plate. (hence the interest in the torque 2), it`s lower than an RPM. Am thinking about getting hughs to rework a torquer 2 w/ their street n strip porting. the $$ ain`t there right now tho! LOL

When you start porting any intake manifold there are such a wide range of options each time you just cannot say this is what you'll get if someone else ports the same manifold. What do I do to the plenum? Do I raise the roof here or change the curve on the inside wall? And the dual plane is a whole new snake pit.

Suppose you get an Edlebrock RPM to 'fix'? As in this case, the manifold we were given to work with was a new RPM and the owner had never ported anything before. In his attempt to gasket match the intake he accidentally ground right through the roof of the port.

No porting was intended, so our goal was a quick weld repair and then gasket match and blend as best we could. As we had another RPM intake that my father had gasket matched before he did almost 20 years ago, it showed us that gasket matching on a RPM will give substantial flow increases. Horsepower increases on gasket matching the RPM? Don't know. Though we had an OOTB RPM we didn't get to dyno test it on this engine.

What we did get to test was a mildly ported Street Dominator against the repaired RPM. I will attempt to expand on the results later, but for now here is a quick overview.

Average air flows: Street Dominator 306 cfm, RPM 313 cfm.

Average torque and horsepower 3,000-6,000 rpm: Street Dominator 528.3 lb-ft/454 HP, RPM 532.8 lb-ft/455 HP

Peak Torque and Horsepower: Street Dominator 571 lb-ft @ 4,700 rpm/561 HP @ 6,000 rpm Performer RPM 570 LB-FT @ 4,300 rpm/ 545 HP @ 5,600 rpm

Interesting results. The Street Dominator did pretty well considering the age of the design.

Yea man, that old ugly intake works. The rags did a shoot out and it faired very well then. I guess when Holley got pissed off at Edelbrock they weren't kidding around when they went to war.

What are the cam specs used? Peak HP /Torque at what RPM?
Thanks for testing these :)

When you start porting any intake manifold there are such a wide range of options each time you just cannot say this is what you'll get if someone else ports the same manifold. What do I do to the plenum? Do I raise the roof here or change the curve on the inside wall? And the dual plane is a whole new snake pit.

Suppose you get an Edlebrock RPM to 'fix'? As in this case, the manifold we were given to work with was a new RPM and the owner had never ported anything before. In his attempt to gasket match the intake he accidentally ground right through the roof of the port.

No porting was intended, so our goal was a quick weld repair and then gasket match and blend as best we could. As we had another RPM intake that my father had gasket matched before he did almost 20 years ago, it showed us that gasket matching on a RPM will give substantial flow increases. Horsepower increases on gasket matching the RPM? Don't know. Though we had an OOTB RPM we didn't get to dyno test it on this engine.

What we did get to test was a mildly ported Street Dominator against the repaired RPM. I will attempt to expand on the results later, but for now here is a quick overview.

Average air flows: Street Dominator 306 cfm, RPM 313 cfm.

Average torque and horsepower 3,000-6,000 rpm: Street Dominator 528.3 lb-ft/454 HP, RPM 532.8 lb-ft/455 HP

Peak Torque and Horsepower: Street Dominator 571 lb-ft @ 4,700 rpm/561 HP @ 6,000 rpm Performer RPM 570 LB-FT @ 4,300 rpm/ 545 HP @ 5,600 rpm
AMAZING !

What are the cam specs used? Peak HP /Torque at what RPM?
Thanks for testing these :)
Horsepower and torque peaks are listed at the bottom of post #17.

As to the camshaft, let us just say it is a custom solid flat tappet that idles smooth and clean at 700 rpm. With the Street Dominator single plane, it makes 500 lb-ft @ 3,200 rpm and still has 543 horsepower at 6,300 rpm where we shut it off.

Last edited:
Here is a back-to-back test where we ran the 440 with the RPM 1st and then the Street Dominator. All we did was lift the carburetor, remove the RPM, bolt down the Street Dominator and replace the carburetor. I am listing the gain (+) or loss (-) when we went to the Street Dominator

RPM..............TQ.............HP

3000..........-19
3100..........-17
3200..........-20
3300..........-11
3400..........-18
3500..........-26
3600..........-32
3700..........-33
3800..........-40
3900..........-23
4000..........-26
4100..........-21
4200..........-16
4300..........-11
4400..........-8
4500..........-5
4600..........-3
4700..............................+5
4800..............................+10
4900..............................+4
5000..............................+10
5100..............................+9
5200..............................+9
5300..............................+11
5400..............................+16
5500..............................+12
5600..............................+11
5700..............................+19
5800..............................+21
5900..............................+23
6000..............................+28
6100..............................+24
6200..............................+31
6300..............................+48

Your results may vary.............

Wasn`t that weld up thing done to an m1 ? I have a 1200 cfm throttlebody, w/ 8 injectors in it, I don`t think it would work very well w/ a dual plane. The thing is actually bigger than the interior of the carb pad on a perf. rpm. Hood clearance is tite, top of the filter is about 3/8" from the bottom of my 6 pack scoop,w/ a drop base bottom plate. (hence the interest in the torque 2), it`s lower than an RPM. Am thinking about getting hughs to rework a torquer 2 w/ their street n strip porting. the $$ ain`t there right now tho! LOL

And so? What then? You figure Huges can do better porting than La Roy Engines? Okay.

Hughes welded the Street Dominator and said, "These are similar to the same results on the M-1." (I don't think my English teacher would like that sentence.)

#4---Ported Intake Manifolds UPDATED 08/27/2007

Last edited:
-
Back