AJ's Opinion; my super-fun, 360/A-833/3.55 street-combo

-
This is why it (used to be) said, get this book, get that book. It’s better than what would almost seem to be plagiarizing someone’s book and regurgitating it to you so you understand. I used to write big long paragraphs (Just like AJ believe it or not!) years back, but I got sick and tired of repeating myself typing the same old ****. Now I just write, get the damn book! If I even do that much.
There is IMO, a more or less finite amount of information that has been generated about hopping up engines over the last say 70/80 years. And most of that is a re-hashing of the same old stuff. Having been a mechanic for over 5 decades, I have read a lot of words on the subject. So I apologize if it should happen that my words echo voices from the past. However, that is never my intent. My only intent is to share what I have learned so others don't have to go thru the same slow learning curve, nor the expense, nor the man-hours of do-overs.
So even tho I have been wrenching for so many years, it took every one of those years to get to the modest level of learning that I am at. In other words, I'm no genius. I learn, mostly, by doing, and I do a thing as often as necessary to get it right.
I was given one talent at or shortly after birth; 1) the ability to figure things out. Not just automotive, but other "disciplines" as well. and later 2) perseverance. Much later I got 3) patience.
These have done me well.

I'm pretty sure that your learning is higher than mine.
I think you will not learn anything from reading it.
It is very basic stuff, more for us average Joe's.

I doubt that but I’m not reading a novel without a payoff. I’m asking what point you are making.

Boy I'm glad I asked for clarification. I thought you might be poking me and was at-the-ready to unload.
Man that was close !

It was actually intended as a compliment. I had a boss who used to tell me that. It was usually after I tried to buck some idiotic corporate policy that didn’t make any sense. I would usually get spanked & told “that’s the way we have always done it” by somebody high up in management. My boss would console me with that message, basically saying that “you are are a really smart guy, but they don’t want a smart guy, they just want
you to shut up & get back to work like all the other well trained drones”. Hahaha, I never learned that lesson….

Well
I doubt that but I’m not reading a novel without a payoff. I’m asking what point you are making.
hows this;
I broke it up into 5 pages, with a different topic on each.
the only page that got more than two "likes" was the last page. .........
As for the point;
AJ's Opinion;
my super-fun, 360/A-833/3.55
street-combo

Can anyone in 2 or 3 sentences give me the cliff notes of his post? That my increase my interest in reading it.

In a super small nuts shell:

This is how I hot rodded my engine, what and how I did it.

This is what I did to hot rod my engine and what was wrong with a few of the combos I did.

This is how to figure it out mathematically

I’ve told AJ 40 or 50 times he writes out way to much with way to much info and info that isn’t pertinent to the issue at hand as well as fixing/helping the issue at hand.

If you do read and follow his writings, I is possible to potentially make a bridge to your specific problem.

Reading a novel length post often complicated by mathematical equations that may or may not apply to you directly or indirectly is a bear to sort through. Rob have eye problems reading the net for more than a few minutes in a clip and it is very difficult to read long posts.

AJ’s point is to show a way (his) to build (what he thinks) an excellent hot rod engine. He does this through mathematical calculations (not always the best way IMO) to maximize what most home guys, even new guys, can repeat at home.

It's a not a how to.
It's how I did it.
Including the rabbit-trails that did not work out for me, so that anyone wanting to go down such a trail, can know what to expect. It is the culmination of about 2 years of preparation, and 5 years of experimentation, then many years of stone-axe reliable, big-fun, motoring.
And, my OPINIONS are woven in an and out, because, as the title states; it is AJs Opinion.
As to eye problems, I'm 68 years old, so my eyes are also 68 years old. I lost the perfect eyesight of my youth by age 15. But I already mentioned on other threads how I got back the near-perfect eyesight of my youth. If you like I can make a how-I-did-it on that.

It's a not a how to.
It's how I did it.
Including the rabbit-trails that did not work out for me, so that anyone wanting to go down such a trail, can know what to expect. It is the culmination of about 2 years of preparation, and 5 years of experimentation, then many years of stone-axe reliable, big-fun, motoring.
And, my OPINIONS are woven in an and out, because, as the title states; it is AJs Opinion.
As to eye problems, I'm 68 years old, so my eyes are also 68 years old. I lost the perfect eyesight of my youth by age 15. But I already mentioned on other threads how I got back the near-perfect eyesight of my youth. If you like I can make a how-I-did-it on that.

What I like about your build is the time to make it work and dialed the complete drivetrain for your needs and driving style, wasn't I need X HP out of thin air and done.

Same ****!
Says you! lol
The "how to" is a future event.
The "how I did it", indicates a past event.

Your emojis are redundant; why do you insist on three king size laughing clowns, when a simple "lol" would suffice?
IMO; Your posts are getting borderline too long, especially for guys with bad eyes..... sheesh
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Says you! lol
The "how to" is a future event.
The "how I did it", indicates a past event.

Your emojis are redundant; why do you insist on three king size laughing clowns, when a simple "lol" would suffice?
IMO; Your posts are getting borderline too long, especially for guys with bad eyes..... sheesh
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl: X’s 3!

I read it a couple times and enjoyed the knowledge sharing as I do with plenty of posts on this forum, if I can learn something new daily and apply it to my cars I’m happy. Thanks for the post.

Not sure if you can make out photos. Does this look right to you? Thank you.

16398072305627807940310737226109.jpg

16398072566912284834575789641936.jpg

16398073772088456985763259088197.jpg

I ran out of time at the VP calcs/ gotta go to work. All the math above that looks pretty good.
Except maybe extraction; I hesitate to call 108 to 110 "ideal". That's a good target; but I sure wouldn't sacrfice pressure to get it. altho;
if you have an automatic, and need the extraction for hiway cruising, I might sacrifice a few psi, in favor of a higher-stall...... if I could lock it up.
This is where the A500/518s earn their keep. If you set your combo up right, you can make that 4spd LU, act like a 5.5 manual trans. Which is 4 in the box plus LU, plus the convertor acting like an infinitely variable, auto shifting, dual-range between about 1.8 and 1.1 to 1.

Off to work I must go; I'll check back after 3PM

I ran out of time at the VP calcs/ gotta go to work. All the math above that looks pretty good.
Except maybe extraction; I hesitate to call 108 to 110 "ideal". That's a good target; but I sure wouldn't sacrfice pressure to get it. altho;
if you have an automatic, and need the extraction for hiway cruising, I might sacrifice a few psi, in favor of a higher-stall...... if I could lock it up.
This is where the A500/518s earn their keep. If you set your combo up right, you can make that 4spd LU, act like a 5.5 manual trans. Which is 4 in the box plus LU, plus the convertor acting like an infinitely variable, auto shifting, dual-range between about 1.8 and 1.1 to 1.

Off to work I must go; I'll check back after 3PM
It will be a 904 auto for now with 323 gears. I don't have a converter yet. I would have to use my speed master aluminum heads (not CNC ported) to get enough static compression to get to the numbers at the bottom of the page. A compromise I'm willing to make but I worry that the ports are a little big for this combo. The bowl diameter below the seat looks pretty big. I need to measure this and research port velocity in these heads. My other head option is cast iron with a little porting which was the original plan. This is a budget build using parts that I have or can get cheap. I'm trying to optimize the combination with the parts I have. The car is for my wife and she said she doesn't want a lot of power but I can't help myself. One thing I don't want to compromise on is that it must run on pump gas 87 E-10. Thank you for looking things over.

Ok, I see no one has stepped in, so here goes.
Firstly; I don't know where you are going with the
VP= VE X CP x N x .3% formula.
Secondly; what are we working on here?
Thirdly; I not a fan of that 268/280/110 cam for this application; specifically, the 12* split at advertised, changes to 6* by .050. This clearly was done to make the engine idle like a cam that is one or two sizes bigger than it actually is. To me, this is a waste of extraction. See note-1.
Also;
Are you familiar with the XE268 cam?
Do you already have it?
Why do you think this is a good cam to install in your wife's car?
I see nothing wrong with what you are trying to do (use up parts); but I do question the chosen cam. IMO you can do more with less in this application.

Note -1
Leemme show you what I mean.
On paper, install that cam at split-overlap, which is in at 107*.. That will give you 119* of compression(Ica of 61*) and 107* of extraction, with 54* overlap.
Next Lets shrink that 280 exhaust duration to 274* which is about 1 cam size. Install it again at 107/ Ica of 61. The extraction now changes to 110* and overlap of 51*. The C+E changes from 226 to 229.
For a daily-driver wife's car, this is a better deal, because in steady state cruising, you can make better fuel-economy.
My open-chamber iron head max-pressure chart for (R+M)/2 gas, says this;
max for 91 is 160 and less 5psi per grade of gas; so 87 should be good for 150psi. But this is not written in stone and depends on many factors. Remember how detonation is caused.

In your situation, the engine may not reach max VE until 3500 rpm, which might be the point that detonation wants to begin..... but only at WOT and max power-timing. With 3.23s and 27" tires, this would be ~30mph. Do you see your wife downshifting into First gear at this speed.
What if you had a 3500 stall TC; the engine would never be forced to work in the detonation-prone zone.
What if you ran a special timing curve that was short of mechanical-timing in that zone?
What if you could control your engine temperature to a very small range?
What if you fed your engine fresh cold air from somewhere NOT in the engine compartment?
These are all tricks you can use to subvert detonation.
And finally, every degree of cam-timing retard is worth about 1.6psi cylinder pressure. If you already have a lot of cylinder pressure, 3degrees of retard is worth about 5psi pressure; just give it up! lol. You'll be giving it to extraction which is a good thing! for a streeter.
Finally; Breda Iowa is listed as being at 1368 above sealevel. That is gonna steal 7 psi, over sealevel.
The point being; you got a lotta options here to run more pressure while avoiding detonation.
Conversely; for this application, max-pressure may not be the best idea.

Lemmee run something by you;
Generally; with no other changes, each bigger cam with a 3 to 4 degree later-closing intake, will drop your CCP about 5psi .......... which will most certainly be felt as a lazier engine, especially off the line.
If you think about that, the reverse is also true; each smaller cam will increase the CCP the same 5psi, and this will wake the bottom end up.
Furthermore; Each bigger cam makes it's power by breathing better at about 200rpm higher. The amount of power at the new rpm, is directly related to the size of the engine, and the actual rpm, as well as the engines physical ability to actually breath at the new higher rpm.
So think about this for a minute. Your 268 power-peaks at about 5000 rpm.
5000rpm with 3.23s and say 27" tires, comes to 44 mph in First gear, and to 74 mph in Second. Ask yourself if carrying around this camshaft penalty ALL THE TIME, is worth the one or two blasts a week that it will ever see.
You could go down two cam sizes, install adequate springs, retard the cam slightly, gain 8psi and have a dynomite bottom end. Sure you will lose maybe 25/30 hp..... but where is that again? Yes at 44 and 74 mph. But here's the thing; 74 is speeding so you will seldomly take the chance of going there; and in First gear, the stronger bottom end of the smaller cam is likely gonna spin the tires nearly as far as the bigger cam. So I ask again;
Ask yourself if carrying around this camshaft penalty ALL THE TIME, is worth it.
Now, as for the XE268 , in order to actually get the power out of it, the overlap period has to be working which makes long-tube headers mandatory. Logs will kill power, and back up the heat, and make detonation more likely.

And finally, again, lol;
the hardest part about making power is putting oxygen molecules thru the engine. The second hardest to is make that air stay dense until the Intake valve closes.
The cam is only one of the players.
In my quest for power with economy, I chose alloy heads for three reasons;
1) better airflow, to lower the cam shaft requirement.
2) easier to make the pressure, requiring less money for machining
3) ability to not detonate under high pressure, allowing a lower grade of fuel..
4) all working together with the rest of the combo.

Lemmee run something by you;
Generally; with no other changes, each bigger cam with a 3 to 4 degree later-closing intake, will drop your CCP about 5psi .......... which will most certainly be felt as a lazier engine, especially off the line.
If you think about that, the reverse is also true; each smaller cam will increase the CCP the same 5psi, and this will wake the bottom end up.
Furthermore; Each bigger cam makes it's power by breathing better at about 200rpm higher. The amount of power at the new rpm, is directly related to the size of the engine, and the actual rpm, as well as the engines physical ability to actually breath at the new higher rpm.
So think about this for a minute. Your 268 power-peaks at about 5000 rpm.
5000rpm with 3.23s and say 27" tires, comes to 44 mph in First gear, and to 74 mph in Second. Ask yourself if carrying around this camshaft penalty ALL THE TIME, is worth the one or two blasts a week that it will ever see.
You could go down two cam sizes, install adequate springs, retard the cam slightly, gain 8psi and have a dynomite bottom end. Sure you will lose maybe 25/30 hp..... but where is that again? Yes at 44 and 74 mph. But here's the thing; 74 is speeding so you will seldomly take the chance of going there; and in First gear, the stronger bottom end of the smaller cam is likely gonna spin the tires nearly as far as the bigger cam. So I ask again;
Ask yourself if carrying around this camshaft penalty ALL THE TIME, is worth it.
Now, as for the XE268 , in order to actually get the power out of it, the overlap period has to be working which makes long-tube headers mandatory. Logs will kill power, and back up the heat, and make detonation more likely.

And finally, again, lol;
the hardest part about making power is putting oxygen molecules thru the engine. The second hardest to is make that air stay dense until the Intake valve closes.
The cam is only one of the players.
In my quest for power with economy, I chose alloy heads for three reasons;
1) better airflow, to lower the cam shaft requirement.
2) easier to make the pressure, requiring less money for machining
3) ability to not detonate under high pressure, allowing a lower grade of fuel..
4) all working together with the rest of the combo.
I found the formula to calculate VP in the link you attached. I read your post and came up with this chart for VP. See picture. Also included a spec sheet of sorts in another picture. I will go through the calculations in your last post after I get done working in the shop Thank you for responding. "I see no one has stepped in" Funny

16398801805454453034577696266526.jpg

16398801996752605421959802769457.jpg

Thanks for saying so. There are only a handful of guys like you on here and it's always nice to hear or get PMs from you all. I know I might seem grumpy from time to time, but I'm working on that. Chit I'm 68 and been chewed up by a hostile world so sometimes I get a lil testy.
And what really pizzes me off is that, criminy!, I hate being wrong; and it can be so hard to eat crow. have a nice stinking day, lol.
Okwait; may the Captain of the Gate, bless you and keep you, and cause His face to shine upon you, and heal you from all your sicknesses, diseases, infirmities, and remove the burden of Family Curses; In the name of the Fisher-of-Men; Amen.. Install the correct names, then read it out loud !
bla bla bla, it's the same old **** different day.

16398801805454453034577696266526-jpg.jpg
This is one I made up.
The 126 and under are calculated from stock factory builds.
The 154 is based off my engine which hasa killer bottom end and spins the 325/50-15s to over 60 mph, and 295s to over 80; IMO that is overkill, lol..
The 131 is based off FABO builds, where the posters were disappointed.
The 140 is based off FABO builds where the posters were satisfied.
The 148 is my opinion, it being between my build and the 140s of FABO.
The highest VP I have run is ~169@930ft, Which was incomparable!

Manual trans cars do Not have the Torque-Convertor advantage which;
1) spices up the torque-multiplication on the start line and all thru First gear. and all the way to trapspeed .
2) always starts power delivery at a particular rpm, and
3) has no problem slipping down to less than walking speed.

So then, with a manual trans, my slowest driveable speed, without riding the clutch, is at whatever the engine will idle at, or at whatever rpm it runs out of power. But then, the engine also has to take throttle from that very low rpm without bucking, farting, or stalling. So then, a very high VP, provides that very low rpm power.
In contrast you automatic guys got it made.
Honestly;
If you run a 3200TC, the actual VP of your engine is Not that big a deal. Your engine will never be required to work in that lazy zone. You can still drive down there, but as soon as you step on the gas, the engine will scoot right up to stall-rpm, and you are gone.
And no, you do not need a 3200 stall. I have been quite happy with a 2800 behind a late318LA, which, according to the chart has a factory VP of around 114, which is pretty weak. To be fair tho, I wasn't expecting much from her as she was my winter engine.
VP is just a tool, like Scr, and Dcr, to get your engine to where you want it to be, for your application.
Also remember that from 8/1 scr to 10.5scr, with no other changes, represents only about 4% power increase. While on a 300hp engine, this is about the same as one cam size at the peak, this does not tell the whole story. This pressure boost is very significant from stall all the way to the peak, posting stronger numbers every where as compared to a just a cam swap. I suppose you could compare it to a good street head which also pumps up the midrange.

But again, the next bigger rear gear, solves a lotta low rpm and midrange problems. As would dropping 200 pounds off the chassis.

16398801996752605421959802769457-jpg.jpg

The Wallace spits this out with the 9/1, at 1368 ft elevation
Static compression ratio of 9:1.
Effective stroke is 2.86 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.39:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 140.29 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 123

This would make an acceptable streeter with a higher-stall and higher gears; but not with the 3.23s nor a 2200stall. It really wants more cylinder pressure, or an earlier closing intake, plus a higher stall like a 2800.

At 10.5 I get
Static compression ratio of 10.5:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.59:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 172.14 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 151
This VP is really good, but the pressure is a lot lower than it could be. I think it's a pretty good compromise. With .028 gaskets, yur all set with a tight Q.
In theory, for fuel-economy,
you could retard this cam to in at 110, trade 3 degrees of compression to extraction, get 110* there, and the straight-up install should restore the over-the-nose power that was sacrificed to get bottom end by advancing the cam; so a few extra horsepower up there.
I get
Effective stroke is 2.79 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.40:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 167.03 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 143
This is better than good, coming up to really good, and this combo will burn 87E10 at WOT with full timing. PLUS: you can keep the 3.23s, and Ima thinking I would at least try whatever TC you might have. That alone will save you close to $1000, or a lil over half the cost of the heads.
But that will depend on how much performance you want in second gear, and or whatever gears you already have if not only the 3.23s.

View attachment 1715838972
The Wallace spits this out with the 9/1, at 1368 ft elevation
Static compression ratio of 9:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.39:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 140.29
PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 123

This would make an acceptable streeter with a higher-stall and higher gears; but not with the 3.23s nor a 2200stall. It really wants more cylinder pressure, or an earlier closing intake, plus a higher stall like a 2800.

At 10.5 I get
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.59:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 172.14
PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 151

This VP is really good, but the pressure is a lot lower than it could be. I think it's a pretty good compromise. With .028 gaskets, yur all set with a tight Q.
In theory, for fuel-economy,
you could retard this cam to in at 110, trade 3 degrees of compression to extraction, get 110* there, and the straight-up install should restore the over-the-nose power that was sacrificed to get bottom end by advancing the cam; so a few extra horsepower up there.
I get
Effective stroke is 2.79 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.40:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 167.03
PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 143

This is better than good, coming up to really good, and this combo will burn 87E10 at WOT with full timing. PLUS: you can keep the 3.23s, and Ima thinking I would at least try whatever TC you might have. That alone will save you close to $1000, or a lil over half the cost of the heads.
But that will depend on how much performance you want in second gear, and or whatever gears you already have if not only the 3.23s.
Only have 3.23 right now. If needed I could set up some new gears May as well give them a try first then I have something to compare to.The original motor was a 318 and the converter is original as far as I know. The 360 is external balance so probably will get another converter. I can dyno first then see what converter looks best.
Who makes the .028 gaskets? Steel shim? Thank you for help.

I can dyno first then see what converter looks best.
That is the smart thing to do.
You can get your flex plate balanced to the engine and then run any neutral-balance TC, including the 318 ones.
For the street, with performance gears, the engine spools up so fast that it is easy to choose a stall (based on the dyno results) that is too high. You only need just enough stall to break traction. As soon as she is spinning, you can control the spin with throttle. Having a high cylinder pressure/high VP, makes this easier. Without it, it takes more throttle. If you run out of throttle/power, the tires stop spinning, and then you can begin the real work of accelerating. By 3000/3500, VP is no longer as beneficial, as the engine is now climbing the power curve.

Now consider this; with a 360 and an A body, you are looking at about 6 seconds for the zero-to 60 time-trial. You are gonna spend between 2.0 and 2.5 seconds in the 60 ft no matter what, and it will all be due to spinning. Shortly after you get past that, it will be time to shift. STALL is no longer running the show. It hasn't been, since IDK maybe the first second. So IMO, it's easy to get carried away with stall. If at any time, you have to back out of the throttle, because tirespin is running away; one of three things is wrong;
1) you have a traction issue,
2) you have too much power,
3) you have too much torque-multiplication.
If you build your 360 with those alloy heads and get 170psi with that indicated cam, and with a tight Quench, I guarantee that you will have a preponderance of bottom end torque. Without some kind of traction aid, you will have traction issues, even with those 3.23s, no matter what your stall.
Here's why;
Your starter gear is 3.23 x 2.45= 7.91. but
The TC, at zero mph is gonna multiply that by about 1.8, so;
1.8 x 7.91=14.24. So then whatever comes out of the crank is gonna be multiplied by this number..... at zero mph.
Say your 360 is stalled at 260 ftlbs; whatever rpm that might be. So then;
260 x 14.24=3700 ftlbs into the rear axle.
Say your tires are 26.5 tall. This will reduce your footlbs at the road to 3700 x (24/26.5)= 3350
This is more than enough torque, to break traction with any 255 x 26.5 tall street tire.
Now, as soon as the tire starts spinning, the Convertor will lose torque multiplication, so you gotta rev it up a lil to where the power is, to keep that starter torque high enough to continue spinning. Say by 5mph, the TC is down to 1.5 ratio; and the rpm is up to 3000. To continue spinning, and to keep the crank ftlbs at 3700, your engine will need to be making;
3700/( 1.5 x 2.45 x3.23)= 312 ftlbs. I guarantee you that your 10.5Scr 360 will be making more than this at 3000rpm. Furthermore, at 3000rpm, any stall less than 3000 is already out of the picture.

For a streeter, there is one other time stall comes into play. Say you are cruising in Second gear at 30mph with 3.23s and still with those 26.5 tall tires. This will be 1780rpm at zero-slip, say 1840@3% slip cruise.
Now say you want to accelerate. And say you have an 1800 stall. Under these conditions, the TC is not gonna help you much. If it slips 15% at WOT, the rpm will jump to 1.15 x 1780=2047, and your torque to the rear axles will be; Crank torque(T) x 1.45 x 3.23 x 1.15=T x 5.386. If your crank torque(T) is say 260, then;
260 x 5.386= 1400 into the axles. That is Not gonna be impressive.
But say you had a 2800TC; and say under these conditions it's ratio will jump to 1.2. And say at 2800 your torque is up to 300 ftlbs. The new math is;
300 x (1.2 x 1.45 x 3.23)= 1686 which is
1686/1400=20.4% stronger. And away she goes.... without downshifting.
Now be advised that I chose these numbers as best guesses, and they may not in any way reflect your build; but the point is the same, that you are likely to put 20% more torque down, under these circumstances, switching from a stock 318TC( maybe 1800) to a 2800aftermarket.
This is why some guys swear by 3000 to 3800TCs, when running conservative street gears.
And this mirrors what I sometimes do by toe-ing the clutch instead of downshifting. Sometimes I just want a lil more acceleration than what I'm getting, in any particular cruising gear, so by slipping the clutch, I can get any power I want, to fill the slight need, without scaring the crap out of the traffic all around me, by downshifting.
For an auto-equipped streeter that also is also asked to cruise the hiway, a 3.23 is the gear of choice. So then you gotta fit your engine and stall into the combo. Since 60mph in Second gear will only be 3564 at zero slip, perhaps 4100@15% slip, I see no good reason to run a cam that makes peak-power at 5000 rpm. You want massive power at 4100! Or you want your TC to slip to a higher rpm..... You see what I mean?
To get more power at 4100, there are only two ways to get it;
1) more airflow, or
2) supercharging, which is really just more airflow times ramming it in.
To get more naturally aspirated airflow, your options are;
1) more piston swept area (cubes),
2) better flowing heads,
3) denser air
4) more cylinder pressure,
5) a specialty cam , NOT necessarily a bigger cam.

IMO it is both easier and cheaper to just move the rpm up. If you do this right, in a streeter, you can actually give up a lot of power without losing performance; but it's hard to do with a Chrysler automatic because the gear ratios are just too far apart; especially the first two, which are the ones that count.
================
Here's food for thought;
if you could find a 4-speed trans and rear gear combo to put you at 60/65 mph in third gear, at a favorable rpm, without a crazy starter gear; you would increase your average power delivery over that window , and in so doing, reduce the time to get there.
But there is no way to do this with any bolt-on Chrysler trans...... unless you split first and second gears, with an add-on box.
The A999 ratios are 2.74-1.54-1.00 w/splits of .562/.649.. If you could at least split the 1-2 that would be great . This would require a splitter of .75; which would get you; 2.74-2.055-1.54-1.905; split ratios in red.
I have not heard of a .75 splitter. But there is a .78 GVod; which you can use behind the A904 for ratios of
2.45-1.91-1.45-1.13-1.00-.78 splits of
.78-.76-.78-.88-.78
Typically you would skip 1.00 ratio making overdrive .69 from Second-over
Now to hit 60mph at around 5000, would take 4.10s in 1.45 ratio; 60=4524 zero slip, say 5000 at 10.4% slip, but you got there using 3 ratios! If your power peak is at say 4900 for trapping at 60, then your shift rpm could be 5200, and then your rpm drops would have to be; to
.78 x 5200=4060, so a powerband of from;
4060 to 5200=1144 rpm. With that happening, say good-by to a wide-LSA cam, which kills absolute power, steals compression, and steals extraction. Say hello to a shorter period cam with similar or more overlap, and thus, more power over the nose.
With 4.10s and .78 overdrive 65=2636 in Lock-up, say 2720@3% slip, without a lock-up.

But it gets better.
4.10 x 2.45= a starter gear of 10.045, which is really a lil steep for an auto equipped streeter. I mean a Smoggerteen can blow those 255s off with that much starter gear. You could easily give 10% of that away; say 3.73s.
Those 3.73s will get you 65=2400 in LU/ say 2470 at 3% slip. That's looking real good.
At the other end, 60 in 1.45 Second, will get you 4730@15% slip. Say your cam peaks at 4700, and your shift is 5000. the rpm drop will be .78 x5000= 3900, now the powerband is 1100...... on the shift from First to first-over. But from First-over to Second is .76 so;
.76 x 5000=3800, so a powerband of 1200, but you're gonna trap at 4730, so; from 3800 to 4730 is.... 930rpm!
Now, in this example , the power peak is only required to be at or near 4700, which points to a small cam of around [email protected]..............
I ran a [email protected] a few years ago, and I tell you that, of the three cams I have run, that one was by far my favorite. I was very sad when it began to drop lobes, even sadder when I replaced it with a 230.
So in this exercise we see the splitter HALVING your powerband requirement. In so doing, the average power is greatly increased, so for the same zero to 60 performance, you can give up a lotta lotta power. Which usually points to the cam. By dropping the duration, and tightening up the Lsa, you can gain a lotta pressure, and very significant extraction.
Lets look at jusy one example; the XE268, This cam has specs of
268/280/110 and .050 of 224/230 which is just one size bigger, to get some more power in the Eighth mile.
In the big picture this includes;
119 compression/107 extraction/ 54* overlap.
Lets get rid of that crazy 280 exhaust duration and put the thing on a 106LSA . I get
268/276/106, and in at 104, (Ica of 58*)
122 compression/ 114 extraction/ 60* of overlap ........
Now that is a stinking nice streetable cam!
At 1368 ft elevation the Wallace spits out
Effective stroke is 2.93 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.78:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 177.27 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 160

With that, you can raise a lil hell.
of course, this pressure will require alloy heads;
But check it out at 9.5;

Static compression ratio of 9.5:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.96:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 155.29 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 140
On the money for iron and 87gas.

Just spit-balling...............

Ok now I gotta tell you something;
I once ran my Barracuda as an 8 speed manual trans, and I can tell you that having more than 4 ratios to do the Eighth mile with, is a waste. Similarly, having more than 3 ratios to hit 60 with, is also a waste.
The biggest problem is tirespin. As soon as my 295s broke loose, with my foot in it, there was no stopping them. 325s were nearly the same. With that 224 cam and a Second gear road-ratio of 3.55 x 1.92= 6.82 , she would spin the tires from a footstomp sometimes to over 50 mph.
If you build your 360 up to 177psi with a 160VP, you will have the same or very similar problem, with your roadgear of 3.23 x 1.45 x 1.3 in the TC(guessing) =6.09..
What I'm saying is that at these numbers, you don't actually need a splitter, under 60 mph. However;
That 106 LSA cam is not gonna like the very wide 1-2 split.
To get some powerband back, would take a 110LSA , but that would change the events. on the same 267/276/ now 110 cam, to something like; 118 comp/110 extraction/ 52overlap, in at 108.
That would generate a new Ica of 62*, and I get
Effective stroke is 2.84 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.74:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 149.47 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 131
Bummer..........
Advancing the cam a lil more will pull the numbers up, but every degree you take steals it from extraction. which is already down at 110, If you don't need the fuel economy, take some.
But you still have two options ( not including the alloy heads),
1) a slightly smaller cam; remember the size I computed earlier was only 218, or
2) a switch to a solid-lifter fast rate of lift cam.
Ok so the next smaller from a 268 is a 262
With specs of say.
262/268/110, and in at 107,(Ica of 58*) I get
122* compression/113* extraction/ 45* overlap, and
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.96:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 155.29 PSI. runs on 89/WOT
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 140 badaboom! here it is again.
However, the 45* of overlap is pointing to a powerloss over the nose, versus the Comp XE268 (54overlap). So at 9.5 Scr, this seems to be the happy spot.
Well hang on, the extraction is up to 113* I suppose we could steal a couple....
Here ya go in at 105, extraction is now 111*
Effective stroke is 2.97 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.05:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 157.68 PSI. May require 91gas at WOT
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 144 Sweet!

at 4.02 x 3.58= 744.6cc swept. 9.5scr will require a total combustion chamber size of 744.6/(9.5 less1)= 87.6cc
At .010 down, you have ~2.1 in the deck, and say 8.8cc in the .039 felPros, and 5CC in the eyebrows, so, that totals 15.9cc leaving up to 71.7 in the iron heads. Daymn that's mighty close.

Last edited:
-
Back