ALERT!! SOUND THE ALARM!!..

-
I saw what jpar ordered. He’s fine. The smaller the bore in the gasket without hanging in the bore the better off you are. Crevice volume increases for no reason suck.

Also, the top of the piston is under nominal bore size, so even though he is .010 out of the deck he’s just fine.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense, especially for a street engine that won't be pushed to it's limits.
On my 4.38" bore, I chickened out because the gasket was just barely sticking out over the very tiny chamfer that was put on the top of the cylinder bore after machining. I was afraid of torching the gasket there, and the more I tried reading about it, the more it looked like around .030" gasket oversize was preferred, so I just went ahead and bought the bigger ones. Live and learn, I guess.

Yay! I'm golden...
I quoted 318 but he's probably making a video of himself LOL...
Just got up...… good morn'n. huh ? snvfffqcuiok…… CufffFFfFF. Allergy season... sorry, did somebody say someth'n ? snffffq…. hold on..... CFFFfvvseeifndjabjebk. Now what? Oh, TMM got it for ya... SNFFFFFF!!! What'd ya say about my videos? You subscribed? Thanks..... QQFFFFTTttttsPFH

Just got up...… good morn'n. huh ? snvfffqcuiok…… CufffFFfFF. Allergy season... sorry, did somebody say someth'n ? snffffq…. hold on..... CFFFfvvseeifndjabjebk. Now what? Oh, TMM got it for ya... SNFFFFFF!!! What'd ya say about my videos? You subscribed? Thanks..... QQFFFFTTttttsPFH
I was brushing my good tooth getting ready to go to work and my voice cracked! Dammit.. now I sound like a frog...

No doubt. Where's my Zyrtec !

My cometic's will be here Wednesday...
:thumbsup:...
Screenshot_20200514-174240.png

My cometic's will be here Wednesday...
:thumbsup:...

I noticed you ordered the standard versions, not the ones designed for the EQ/Eddy heads. Any reason why? I haven't had a chance to call Cometic yet, but I've been assuming that being a edelbrock clone the SMs would have the same changes to the cooling passages.

I noticed you ordered the standard versions, not the ones designed for the EQ/Eddy heads. Any reason why? I haven't had a chance to call Cometic yet, but I've been assuming that being a edelbrock clone the SMs would have the same changes to the cooling passages.
I wasn't aware of any changes in cooling passages??..

I wasn't aware of any changes in cooling passages??..

5622-xx are standard gaskets, they fit iron heads (and others I'm sure). The 5917-xx gaskets are listed by Cometic as "Designed to fits engines with 318A Engine Quest or Edelbrock aftermarket cylinder heads."

Best I can find, that change is slight differences in cooling passage locations. I've been meaning to call Cometic and confirm that info, or get the correct info at least. But there's some reason why they make and list a different one for those two heads, and it's not just for fun.

With the SMs being a direct edelbrock copy, I've been assuming they those differences. If not, that would be great, Summit has the gaskets I would use in that case, in stock....for now.

That’s only .040 bigger than the bore so your still golden. That’s a pretty small crevice volume.

I can tell you the difference between the 4.050 bore and 4.080 bore, but I’m going to do them both at .070 thick to be fair and half way accurate and not make it to confusing to myself.

BRB

Edit: my math says the crevice volume difference between what you had and what you are getting is .0008108 cc’s. That’s not very much.

But what if you went to a say...4.180 bore gasket??? How much more crevice volume would you have???

BRB

5622-xx are standard gaskets, they fit iron heads (and others I'm sure). The 5917-xx gaskets are listed by Cometic as "Designed to fits engines with 318A Engine Quest or Edelbrock aftermarket cylinder heads."

Best I can find, that change is slight differences in cooling passage locations. I've been meaning to call Cometic and confirm that info, or get the correct info at least. But there's some reason why they make and list a different one for those two heads, and it's not just for fun.

With the SMs being a direct edelbrock copy, I've been assuming they those differences. If not, that would be great, Summit has the gaskets I would use in that case, in stock....for now.
GREAT..:BangHead:...

Edit: my math says the crevice volume difference between what you had and what you are getting is .0008108 cc’s. That’s not very much.

But what if you went to a say...4.180 bore gasket??? How much more crevice volume would you have???

BRB

Edit: more math says if you went to a 4.180 bore gasket over the 4.050 gasket you have a crevice volume gain of .0144144.

If you can’t tell...I’m BORED.

BRB
Edit: more math says if you went to a 4.180 bore gasket over the 4.050 gasket you have a crevice volume gain of
Well all this might be moat if you take into consideration what turbomlh is saying...

Well all this might be moat if you take into consideration what turbomlh is saying...

I saw what he said and frankly, I didn’t see that when I ordered mine, so I’m sweating bullets that I ordered something I can’t use.

Plus, I didn’t want to rain on your success.

Ok, had to dig through my emails to see what exactly I ordered.

I bought C5456-.036 and I’m hoping that’s what I should have ordered.

-
Back