ALERT!! SOUND THE ALARM!!..

-
View attachment 1715527413

Well they arrived from Cometic so I checked my paper work from the day I ordered them from 4secondsflat and counting weekend days it was 22 days total. 4.060 bore.045 thick.

Which part number did you order for yours? Any chance of a picture of one, to see the coolant ports around a cylinder bore?

Well I just got up and I called cometic before my first cup of coffee even..
The techline guy said something about the cooling bosses and sealing different..
He said go ahead and run the 5622 but next time order the 5917 s...???
He didn't seem to have enough exact information like I would have liked...
Go ahead and "run um" this is making me overly excited... Somehow I just rather have the correct ones...

The techline guy said something about the cooling bosses and sealing different..
Go ahead and "run um" this is making me overly excited... Somehow I just rather have the correct ones...
"Go ahead and run em' but next time"................. Hard to get warm and fuzzy there.

Yes I'm 19 years old and I've never worked on cars and I just drove my Honda to work but go ahead and run those gaskets no problem...

Things not cooling right, for now, might be ok...… maybe

Things not cooling right, for now, might be ok...… maybe
well I'm not going to see my heads back till next week at the earliest anyways so I'll wait till these gaskets get here and lay them over top of one of my old 1008's...
And see what I see and continue a little more research...

Well, ****. I got a different answer when I called. I think the guy must have been confused, because he said, and I asked him to verify, that EQ moved the oil supply hole in the head, and that with the 5622 gaskets you could have an oil leak.

I dont see how that's possible, but I'm going to see if I have a spare felpro around to check out cooling and oil supply hole location.

I specifically asked if that was for a magnum, because the EQ heads were magnum replacements, and he said no.

Well, ****. I got a different answer when I called. I think the guy must have been confused, because he said, and I asked him to verify, that EQ moved the oil supply hole in the head, and that with the 5622 gaskets you could have an oil leak.

I dont see how that's possible, but I'm going to see if I have a spare felpro around to check out cooling and oil supply hole location.

I specifically asked if that was for a magnum, because the EQ heads were magnum replacements, and he said no.
Oh great.. two different answers..:BangHead:..

I just went to the cometic web site. I ordered mine from the drop down for LA engines. If you are using heads with magnum cores (I’m not a fan of magnum cooling) then you need to order gaskets under the magnum drop down.

Edit: and I only see 3 gaskets for those.

Which part number did you order for yours? Any chance of a picture of one, to see the coolant ports around a cylinder bore?

I never order a certain part number. I call 4secondsflat and order a custom gasket each time. I’ll try to lay one on the block today.

Anyone running EQ heads! - READ!!

Still not sure how the LA Edelbrock and the EQ heads, which are absolutely designed initially for a magnum, are related.

I am pretty sure everyone running Edelbrock LA heads and Speedmaster heads are going to be fine with the vast number of LA part numbers Cometic has. I fully believe that note about EQ and Edelbrock heads would only be seen if you are looking up gaskets for a Magnum based engine.

The LA version of the Edelbrock head has more typical LA coolant passages, so that note does not apply to LA engines.

I am running Magnum version Edelbrock heads and EQ heads, so I need the gaskets with the note for them.

The thing they said about EQ moving oil feed holes is flat out wrong. It does not have any oil feed holes.

I am pretty sure everyone running Edelbrock LA heads and Speedmaster heads are going to be fine with the vast number of LA part numbers Cometic has. I fully believe that note about EQ and Edelbrock heads would only be seen if you are looking up gaskets for a Magnum based engine.

The LA version of the Edelbrock head has more typical LA coolant passages, so that note does not apply to LA engines.

I am running Magnum version Edelbrock heads and EQ heads, so I need the gaskets with the note for them.

The thing they said about EQ moving oil feed holes is flat out wrong. It does not have any oil feed holes.

After the phone calls and what has been posted the last day, I agree. It's too bad that note was kind of unclear, and I feel bad about making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I'm glad it's (reasonably) clarified.

Edelbrock RPM Magnum

061775_v3_1.jpg

RPM LA

060775_v3_1.jpg

I'm ordering both and sending back the ones I don't use...

Ordered a set of 5622-027. I'd have done the same, but the -036 that I'm hoping not to need are out of stock anyways.

Ordered a set of 5622-027. I'd have done the same, but the -036 that I'm hoping not to need are out of stock anyways.
I'm .010 above deck so I have to be at least .045..
These are what I ordered..
If I can use the cometic I will...
Screenshot_20200515-164502.png

Both in stock..

I'm .010 above deck so I have to be at least .045..
These are what I ordered..
If I can use the cometic I will...
View attachment 1715528800
Both in stock..

Going for 9.582, that puts me .009 in the hole, perfect for a .027 gasket. Also, don't want to be that guy, but did you order 2 of the Cometics? They're each, not a set.

Going for 9.582, that puts me .009 in the hole, perfect for a .027 gasket. Also, don't want to be that guy, but did you order 2 of the Cometics? They're each, not a set.
Yes I ordered two of the cometic's $211 LOL...
I won't cry if I have to send them back and use the set of fel pros for $49..

If I use the fel pro my compression will go up and if I use the cometic by my compression will go down..
This isn't taking into consideration the fire ring on the cometic beam .040 over the bore and the felpro .140 over bore.. I think YR had some calculations for that...
Screenshot_20200515-183327.png
Screenshot_20200515-183227.png

If I use the fel pro my compression will go up and if I use the cometic by my compression will go down..
This isn't taking into consideration the fire ring on the cometic beam .040 over the bore and the felpro .140 over bore.. I think YR had some calculations for that..

Compression Ratio Calculator

Will take gasket bore into consideration

I'm really hoping the cometic gasket works for me as I would like the compression to be a little bit lower and have the more quality gasket..

-
Back