all I have to say is when buying an old car dont trust anyone about its history

-
Yeah, I get your point. But if the owner of the car dealership didn't do it, maybe he would want to know? People are messed up these days.

If it was me, I would call the local police department for the town the car is in, and report it. If the dealer didnt roll it, he sure will tell where he got the car if its investigated.
Theives and con artist should be prosecuted.

There is dishonesty.

Then there are people who will say, low miles, it has,( for example) 44,000 miles!!!! with a speedo that only goes to 99,999 and begins again. Cracks me up. And these cars are 99% always some slant or 318 grocery getter. People drove those kind of cars. A lot! I have had several "special" cars, a AAR uda a 71 340 Cuda, I can remember, that were obviously low mile survivor, but very darn few over many, many cars since 84.

There is dishonesty.

Then there are people who will say, low miles, it has,( for example) 44,000 miles!!!! with a speedo that only goes to 99,999 and begins again. Cracks me up. And these cars are 99% always some slant or 318 grocery getter. People drove those kind of cars. A lot! I have had several "special" cars, a AAR uda a 71 340 Cuda, I can remember, that were obviously low mile survivor, but very darn few over many, many cars since 84.

You said a mouthful. Everyone has their own story but for me the only survivor I trust is the one I own because it's been in the family since day one and I know the exact history. The flipside is anyone else who hasn't known my dad since 1980 probably won't have the same opinion....

Oh give me back the 80's when all this bullcrap didn't matter and the cars were just fun!!!

JW

Sold a 72 demon in person with an honest description. 2 weeks later, back on ebay with new pics and a highly exaggerated narrative. Later learned it was sold to a guy overseas who was pissed and demanded some money back in which I believed was honored.

Back in the mid 70's, I worked briefly at a used muscle car dealership. Badging, decals & an engine swap turned a Lemans into a Judge. A 383 column shift, bench seat 70 Barracuda was hemified, rebadged & advertised as "Extremely rare bench seat Hemi 'Cuda".
The guys who owned this dealership would search the newspapers for cars they could clone & the write off auctions for wrecked muscle cars they could cannibalize. The only things they wouldn't do (as far as I could tell) was swap VINs or roll back speedos.

It's just awful, how if we want to buy a car, we have to spend hour after hour verifying numbers to make sure we get what we are paying for.
I got lucky and got mine from the original owner.
The authenticity of it was verified by many mutual friends we have in the same small town.

It's just awful, how if we want to buy a car, we have to spend hour after hour verifying numbers to make sure we get what we are paying for.
I got lucky and got mine from the original owner.
The authenticity of it was verified by many mutual friends we have in the same small town.
There are reasons people just get into rods.

I had a buddy a decade ago that was always dragging flip material home. He had some very nice cars, keepers, , but he loved the hunt, like me. One day he called and said he had a 69 383 4 speed Roadrunner for sale. Even had the # eng>!!!!! He went on to say he knew to car all its life has never left the county, but it has had maybe a dozen different engines in it over the years!!! Luck would have it that the last engine swap got the original motor back in!!!! That does not happen often!

Maybe it's just me, and because of the family I grew up in.. but I never take any seller's spiel at face value.
One of my uncles from my Mom's side was a master at recreating body panel patches with cut up old blankets and Elmer's white glue..hell, if it was winter, peanut butter was his choice for small patches. He'd paint it up and you'd never know the difference, lol. He did what he had to do to feed his kids.
Sometimes, it's hard not to get 'emotionally attached' to a car you're looking at, and convince yourself it's what you've always wanted.
Listen to that 'spidey sense' when you get a tingle.. it's usually right.

Never buy a vehicle from me ... 3 of my vehicles have broken speedometers and have the same mileage on the odometer as the day that I first registered them.
My purple beater has the same mileage since 1992...

I just watched this clip yesterday from our good friend Uncle Tony
(whitepunkonnitro) It’s pretty entertaining to watch him hammer on the guy for taking a 73 and “turning to” or swapping the dash, valance and front clip from a 71, painting over rust etc...

boy is that guy really stuck on himself. could tell as soon as they showed the car it was pieced together by the marker lights. no need for all the other drama.. i'd have gotten out of the truck and walked up to it and known right away to walk away..

and he is nuts if he thinks that **** pile is worth 8K...

I thought 8 was high also, but he prefaces the interaction with stating he tries to bring down to each tier of price to further whittle down the seller. He has a bunch of videos that pop up from time to time. This one highlighted the current topic. Albeit fairly long.

Maybe not all videos are aimed at the guy with 50 years experience and a list of 50 old cars he has restored? I admit I did not watch this particular flick.

Regardless if someone is selling a house, car or anything else, if they claim something that can’t be proved, don’t believe it and use them as a reason to discount the price.

For cars, never driven in the rain, or never in the snow or only lady driven or almost all highway mileage are all items that can’t be proved.

My nephew had a hip replacement last week and asked me to look at a 2005 Ford Escape for sale (he does not have a car at the moment). The hood had an emissions decal dated 2001. The vehicle is very clean all over, body looks great and even the chassis is bone dry. The seller said the hood had been changed, but did not go into any detail. Asking price about $3,500 USD.

Wow, all i have to say is buyer beware! I sold a car a year ago which I owned for 33 years....found it for sale online recently....mileage was rolled back 70K....added 18K over what i sold it for.....I was the 4th owner in this state....went a couple of states away........so for ***** and giggles I called the number and played the game........guy said local 1 owner trade....20K miles.....blah blah blah......I have no interest in getting the car back but goes to show you, BUYER BEWARE!
all I have to say is when buying an old car dont trust anyone about its history
The way I see it, everyone is a B.S. Artist When selling a car. I never give a crap about what the odometer says. I know it’s been rolled over and there full of ****, period!!!!

Trust no one!!!!

As soon as money is involved, the **** hits the fan, the scumb bags come out and your wallet is in Jeopardy! And possibly your pride.

It is still for sale....He lowered the price 2K....so now it is only 16K over what I sold it for.....hahaha

Yea, but most people don't listen to what you tell them anyway.
They are so thinking about what they are going to do with, it goes in one ear and out the other.
I sold a 69 Dart GT years ago. It was originally dark green.
I repainted it white. And when I sold it I told him everything I had done to the car.
He came back a year later after he took the quarter off in an accident.
"You never told me that was a green car!"
No.... you didn't listen.

It's no wonder the stories get changed.

And they don't read the narrative in the for sale ad. They will ask questions and they just read the answers!! ha

Or price a car at a fair prcie for what the actual market value is, cheaper than any comparable car advertised and they always assume it is a piece of total crap. Then they figure out it is not crap, then their brain fast forwards to "why is this car NOT 110% perfect" for that price..

well , still for sale....lowered price down to 22,900.....now it is only double what he paid me for it.....

I would have him called on it and also threatened to call His states Dept. of Revenue. He is committing fraud. But thats just me. I'm a real asshole when it comes to assholes.

Last edited:
Lying about a story is one thing. Lying about the odometer is a whole other thing. That should be reported

1973 Dodge Dart For Sale in Greenville, NC - Classic Connections
1589203109.jpg

:popcorn:

-
Back