all over the road

-

mikec

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a great summer, I need to change my steering box, leaking fluid, and car all over the road, i am also changing ball joints and tie rods, but need a suggestion on steering box, remanufactured from auto stores 145-185, or firm feel 385 plus the ride, trying to be cost effective, anyone have good luck with cardone reman boxes?

sorry should have specified Power steering thanks

Have had mostly good luck with Cardone in the past. A good Mopar used one is another choice. Many people tout Firm Feel too.

It kinda comes down to how much you want to spend.....

My cardone on a 71 swinger is just fine. I couldn't justify the cost of the firm feel for a stock suspension driver.

Have had mostly good luck with Cardone in the past. A good Mopar used one is another choice. Many people tout Firm Feel too.

It kinda comes down to how much you want to spend.....

This sort of sums it up for me. TONS of used ones available cheap

thanks for all the suggestions , I haven't been able to find a good used one, reasonably priced, I think I will try the cardone, 145 with warranty, for a stock suspension driver

I would attempt rebuilding my own before buying another used one. Already have one of those. LOL

Rockauto lists rebuilt ones fairly cheap, but you must mail your core so a lot of shipping, and some require that yours get rebuilt (delays). You could rebuild yourself. The full kit is ~$15. I posted my rebuild a few years ago. That way you know it was done carefully and can paint nicer than that flaky black rebuild paint. If the hard parts are worn, that doesn't help, but that is rare unless some fool drove it without fluid for a while.

Also, check your toe-in using a tape measure. Toed-out wheels will cause severe wander and the cars tend to toe-out as the suspension sags and rubber bushings collapse. That should be checked every 2 years or so on all cars.

My '72 Scamp was also all over the road. I was ready to change out the PS box. Did a full suspension rebuild with rubber bushings and KYB shocks. Had a buddy of mine who has an alignment rack aim it up and WOW - No more wander. A real pleasure to drive and didn't need to change the steering box.

-
Back