almost ready !

-
I am running a MSD distributor on my small block and when I locked out the advance it idled better and run better. It is locked at 35*.

How easy does it start?

It depends. Some of the boxes have a built in start retard. Some have an adjustable built in start retard. I used a start switch and an ignition switch. Got it rolling, threw the ignition switch on and when it started clicked off the starter switch.

Any of those work.

BTW, I was at a MEASURED 15.55:1 compression, on alcohol and with 40 to 44 degrees total, depending on DA.

It starts just fine, and no start retard either. It is 10.9 compression. Stock Dakota starter.

I'm going to try the black 19° bushing and the lightest silver springs first and the only thing after that will be to lock it out.

I've read about this special bushing you can buy to reduce it down to 10 degrees total advance for I think like $35. seriously since I'd begun this thread 3 weeks ago saying I was done spending money on it and it is what it is I've already spent another $500 LOL when does it end?! :violent1:

Got a chance to get under the car and re- tighten the rear underside. So after that it was time to check the last snowball tune. .098 main jets and 71-47 rods for both carburetors. I noticed one set of metering rod springs where much stronger than the other. Lucked out and found a matching set of the softer springs in an old parts carb. Of course I pulled the distributor ( NEVER "the dizzy") and put in the largest stop ring the black one that came with the distributor kit and was supposed to lower it down to 19 degrees of total timing. I put the weakest Silver Springs in and it seems to idle at about 22-23 degrees when I put it at all in at 34 degrees. It seems like this last snowball hit the tune right between the eyes! It seemed very responsive And the wideband O2 sensor seem to be having good readings. Of course I've yet to try this under load or on the track. My hopes are high for the next drag race in a couple weeks.

Well now that I seem to be finally ready to race I'm starting to imagine myself in the drivers seat. Since I'm going to have the two step launch control I'm thinking of a rpm starting point? Unfortunately I've no t&t time left before my first race. Of course I will get three practice passes before eliminations start.

Do you do car sounds while you are behind the wheel.................
you bet cha ! I don't even have to be behind the wheel of the car or even in the garage to do that. This is living out my childhood dream being a Race Car Driver I mean how much more honest can I be than that? I remember the first time I was handed my time slip that was under 12 seconds almost, well I was choked up. I am literally living my dream and the Lord is completely blessed me! There is literally no need for this car whatsoever besides pleasure. This car is meant to be a family heirloom and passed on to my son and then to my grandson and stay in the family. Hopefully one day my grandson will be driving the car and maybe passing it on to my great-grandson or great-granddaughter and as they're working on it there scratching their heads thinking what was Grandpa thinking!??. Why was he using black tape to tape these two wires together or something like that.

use a regular timing light, made for MSD. a dial back has a delay in it. will not show correct timing. been there and seen it.

Actually I just took my cheep Harbor Freight timing gun this last time and left it on the zero and timed it to 34 all in with that tape that came on the flywheel and it seems alright.

18 Degrees 2 blue light springs....start....dont use the light silver springs together.

LOL !! The car has never been fast enough to require a rollbar.
View attachment 1714885592

Looks good. It's my understanding that if a roll bar is in a 15 second car it still has to meet the NHRA/IHRA requirements.

In the photo with out anyone in the seat it looked like would pass over the shoulder. You're golden. :burnout:

Looks good. It's my understanding that if a roll bar is in a 15 second car it still has to meet the NHRA/IHRA requirements.

In the photo with out anyone in the seat it looked like would pass over the shoulder. You're golden. :burnout:

I think where it becomes deceiving Is how low I have the seat. Let's just say I'm not a very small man.

-
Back