Alterkation Kit and 14" Wheels...

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Wondering if its possible? Debating on getting this kit but I do love my rallye wheels (but they're 14"). Any info is MUCH appreciated, sorry if this is a noob question!

the reason you can't run 14" wheels with the alter-k is they will hit the tie rod end. you may get away with a 14" wheel but it isn't gonna have very much backspace. even 15" you can only have like 3" if that back space to fit with an alter-k.

I can't see any reason to upgrade the suspension and not be able to get tires that will complete the build...........

here ya go. the exact numbers.

Limitations As with any performance product, there are some compromises to achieve bolt-on status. In the case of this system, wheel backspacing is limited, depending on tire size. The following numbers allow approx. 1/4" of clearance between the rim and tie rod end...
14" rim - 3.25" backspace maximum
15" rim - 3.25" backspace maximum
17" rim – 5.75" backspace maximum
18"+ rim – 6”+ backspace

Note - a 17" rim clears the tie rod end entirely, however with more than 5.75" backspacing, the rim may hit the tie rod at full lock in either direction. If wider 17" rims are needed, an adjustable stop may be welded to the lower a-arm to limit turning radius. These figures are based on suspension clearance only.
There’s no guarantee that a wider 17" rim, or the tires, will clear the frame rails or other parts of the car. Large wheels and tires typically require clearancing in other areas as well, and it is the owner’s responsibility to determine the requirements of his/her particular situation.
As always, we're always happy to help or answer any questions you might have.

I can't see any reason to upgrade the suspension and not be able to get tires that will complete the build...........

I don't consider the tires/wheels an upgrade if I'm satisfied with the ones I have, I just wanted to know if its possible.

17's are a must unless you put 4 or 5's on the front, but that's pretty thin.
And 17's don't look either.

shootout011.jpg

I don't consider the tires/wheels an upgrade if I'm satisfied with the ones I have, I just wanted to know if its possible.

to be honest and i'm not trying to be a smart *** here but if your gonna run a 14" tire then the alter-k would be a big waste of money. you will never get the full potential out of it because of the limited sizes 14" tires come in. you'll out drive the 14" tires way to easy.

Joe, that's what was I was trying to say, but I guess the point was missed, BUT I'll take it one step farther. I wouldn't run 14" tires on ANY car that wasn't a correct restoration and even then I am working on a way to get 15s on my GTS and still look correct from 10 feet. Plus, I have no intention of running any aftermarket suspension system.

-
Back