Alterkation question. .....

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all....

Doing a complete resto-mod to my 68 Barracuda Notch-back and want to go to the Alterkation suspension system.

Do I have to have the engine out to install it? For some reason I thought I saw somewhere that it could be installed with the engine in the car....but that doesn't seem right. ..?!

I'm going to strip the ENTIRE car anyway when it goes to paint but I'm trying to figure out what order I want to do all these projects.

Thanks in advance! !!

Jeff

I have had an Alter-k-tion in my 70 cuda since 2008 and I want to say it is a great system and Bill is a great guy to deal with. I am actually sending mine back after all this time to have him straighten out the shock up right. I had an off-road adventure while driving spiritedly. It still functions fine though. There is service after the sale.

I suppose you could park your car under an A frame and keep your engine hoisted up while installing it or if you have motor plates that could work. I think the best way to do it is also the best way to install and uninstall any suspension including OEM. From the bottom. Lower you engine and suspension as an assembly. Unbolt your upper control arms, slide out your t-bars, unbolt the trans mount, and unhook you engines wires and hoses. Lower the whole assembly.
When I installed mine I did not do it like this because I didn't have a drivetrain. I installed the Alter-k-tion when my engine was at the builder. I am planning on doing it from the bottom from here on out though. A tool that will really help is the US Cartool hoist that bolts onto the front frame rails where the bumper brackets attach.

The engine is supported by the K member, so if your suspension mod requires the swapping out of the k member the engine will have to be supported some other way. You could carefully craft some supports between the fenders and support it that way, FWD cars do it all the time.

If your going to send it out for paint leave the original k member in place. It will get hit with over spray and everything else while in paint jail. Ask me how I know.

If your going to send it out for paint leave the original k member in place. It will get hit with over spray and everything else while in paint jail. Ask me how I know.
Excellent point,

@MrJLR, I can loan you the US Cartool hoist when you go to reinstall the Engine/Suspension assembly. US Cartool also makes a K-frame dolly to make that job easier but I'm just going to use a pair of furniture dollies.

This. You don't want the new stuff on the car when it goes to paint. No reason for it either.

Why people want to spend $5k+ just to get a rack and pinion I still don't understand. It's pretty much the only clear benefit from an actual suspension perspective, everything else is a trade off. Everything else, handling, ride, etc can be just as good or even better with a properly updated torsion bar suspension. All the fancy coilover swaps still just started as Pinto suspension, you upgrade pinto suspension or you upgrade Mopar suspension. The chassis was designed for the mopar suspension and handles it better, the coilovers put the suspension loads in an entirely different location. Header clearance? How often do you install headers? Once usually.

It's your car and that's my opinion and you're free to do whatever you like, but I just don't understand it. Especially now that so many aftermarket upgrades are available for the torsion bar system.

Hi all....

Doing a complete resto-mod to my 68 Barracuda Notch-back and want to go to the Alterkation suspension system.

Do I have to have the engine out to install it? For some reason I thought I saw somewhere that it could be installed with the engine in the car....but that doesn't seem right. ..?!

I'm going to strip the ENTIRE car anyway when it goes to paint but I'm trying to figure out what order I want to do all these projects.

Thanks in advance! !!

Jeff

As was stated, use the old k-frame until you get the car painted. I have the Alter-k-ation front system , including the Street Lynx rear suspension in my car and it works fantastic ! You will not be disappointed! Bill is excellent to deal with and his after sales service is stellar!

Why people want to spend $5k+ just to get a rack and pinion I still don't understand.... All the fancy coilover swaps still just started as Pinto suspension

I have an Alter-k-tion car and I have had many torsion bar cars. One reason I went with Alter-k-tion was because of the headers, rack and pinion, and brakes. At the time there were no brake upgrades for Mopar and now there is Wilwood, Viper, Baer,....
Can't beat the Flaming River rack feel. It's amazing. I will possibly be upgrading trying out the non-power "road race" rack they have.
Headers? With my engine build I needed 1-7/8" headers. You're not getting those around big torsion bars. Even the TTi 1-7/8" won't fit without skinny little dinky t-bars. I use a Hedman header that was made for drag cars without t-bars so it's a shelf header. 1-7/8 headers for t-bar cars have to be custom or modified TTi's, adding to the cost.
A benefit is that these types of suspensions do weigh less and they are easy to tune without have multiple sets of torsion bars.
There is a place for them. It's all application specific and I do think some people jump to the MustangII style suspensions often without even having the challenges I list above. At that point it's just people not looking at all the options. And that's okay. They won't be getting anything that's not unsafe or irreversible.
Now with all that being said, I have collected all the torsion bar front suspension pieces for my Valiant and , while I'm not a receipts keeper, it's expensive as hell to have a balls out torsion bar car.
-Borgeson System, BIG torsion bars, K-frame stiffening and fab, SPC UCA's, whiz bang strut rods, 11/16 tie rods, FF idler arm bearing, Hotchkis shocks, 1.25" sway bar, reinforced LCA's, Viper brakes, Modifying the TTi's for the torsion bars ....

It's not like an astronomical savings to build an equivalent performing torsion bar car especially since you've got QA1 in the game now. Matter of fact I wish I would have kept all the receipts because I bet I have more money in the Valiant's suspension than a QA1 system costs.

It's just different strokes for different folks. I like the Alter-k-tion but I wanted to build the Valiant in the Green Brick fashion and use OEM style components. I'll be racing at Auto Club in the NMCA series against a butt ton of very high dollar cars with all the heavy hitters in the suspension game. Tom Kamman (Toms Purple Valiant) races up there in his Vette now. He's killing it BTW. I would love to see the little A-body embarrass some $150k cars.

I installed mine with engine in it. I just put car on stands and a floor and trans jack under motor and trans. Did it in a day.

I also installed mine in an afternoon with the engine in it. I layed a 4x6 across the fenders and supported the engine with a chain and lift plate off of the manifold.

I have an Alter-k-tion car and I have had many torsion bar cars. One reason I went with Alter-k-tion was because of the headers, rack and pinion, and brakes. At the time there were no brake upgrades for Mopar and now there is Wilwood, Viper, Baer,....
Can't beat the Flaming River rack feel. It's amazing. I will possibly be upgrading trying out the non-power "road race" rack they have.
Headers? With my engine build I needed 1-7/8" headers. You're not getting those around big torsion bars. Even the TTi 1-7/8" won't fit without skinny little dinky t-bars. I use a Hedman header that was made for drag cars without t-bars so it's a shelf header. 1-7/8 headers for t-bar cars have to be custom or modified TTi's, adding to the cost.
A benefit is that these types of suspensions do weigh less and they are easy to tune without have multiple sets of torsion bars.
There is a place for them. It's all application specific and I do think some people jump to the MustangII style suspensions often without even having the challenges I list above. At that point it's just people not looking at all the options. And that's okay. They won't be getting anything that's not unsafe or irreversible.
Now with all that being said, I have collected all the torsion bar front suspension pieces for my Valiant and , while I'm not a receipts keeper, it's expensive as hell to have a balls out torsion bar car.
-Borgeson System, BIG torsion bars, K-frame stiffening and fab, SPC UCA's, whiz bang strut rods, 11/16 tie rods, FF idler arm bearing, Hotchkis shocks, 1.25" sway bar, reinforced LCA's, Viper brakes, Modifying the TTi's for the torsion bars ....

It's not like an astronomical savings to build an equivalent performing torsion bar car especially since you've got QA1 in the game now. Matter of fact I wish I would have kept all the receipts because I bet I have more money in the Valiant's suspension than a QA1 system costs.

It's just different strokes for different folks. I like the Alter-k-tion but I wanted to build the Valiant in the Green Brick fashion and use OEM style components. I'll be racing at Auto Club in the NMCA series against a butt ton of very high dollar cars with all the heavy hitters in the suspension game. Tom Kamman (Toms Purple Valiant) races up there in his Vette now. He's killing it BTW. I would love to see the little A-body embarrass some $150k cars.

Do you have a link to the non power road race rack? I’m building another car right now... it has an alterkation and I would prefer manual steering to keep the weight down.

Do you have a link

I thought I did. I just scrounged my bookmarks and looked all over FR's site. What I did was called Bill and talked with him about it. He tried to convince me that it wasn't worth it but I have a Supercharger Store Procharger kit and it doesn't allow for a stock P/S pump and I have to use a custom bracket with a Sweet Mfg. pump and remote reservoir. The best place to mount the reservoir in is right in the way of where an intercooler pipe would go through the radiator core. I would love to run an intercooler. It's a pain and I want the simplicity of manual rack.
I believe it was a Mustang II rack these things use.

Last edited:
Well, I have my answers and my decision. ....
I'll leave my k-member in, get it painted, assemble the Alterkation, attach the new engine and transmission to it and install it all from the bottom. For $200, no problem getting the US Car Tools body lifting kit.

Thank you all for the opinions and help!
Now I think I have a plan!

Jeff

I'll leave my k-member in, get it painted, assemble the Alterkation, attach the new engine and transmission to it and install it all from the bottom. For $200, no problem getting the US Car Tools body lifting kit.

Jeff

like this Hemi with torsion bars in an A-body that went in with about 2 hours of work

no scratching the new paint

C6A7031F-F476-4721-AE8B-A38E1F575AF7.jpeg

Where can I get the engine and transmission dolly that will work with the Alterkation system?

Like this picture

View attachment 1715738431

Jeff

it’s flat dolly with plywood top and carpet on it. It is long and narrow to support the trans. Ns1rm21 made it.

he narrowed it since the 1st picture

130A9475-DC42-4B62-BA13-6FB04D85E333.jpeg

BEAEC438-C4D5-4A26-A056-E4E972EC887F.jpeg

Sorry, but, there's a ton of less than fully accurate info here.

TTI's 1 7/8" headers are designed to fit with torsion bars. I have Doug's 1 5/8" on mine with 1.12" bars. They might take some dimples on the tubes, but that's a far cry from custom headers. The header clearance difference between a .87" bar and a 1.12" bar is only 1/8". That's not even a big dimple on a header tube, and that assumes the little bars touch.

Weight? It's only a big improvement if you switch from OE power steering to a manual rack. These weights are all for an HDK conversion, not an Alterkation, but the weights are likely pretty similar. Manual steering OE K to an HDK with a manual rack is only ~31 lbs savings. A Borgeson with an OE K to an HDK with power steering is only ~35 lbs savings. With an OE power steering box to an HDK with a power rack the weight savings is ~50 lbs. The only way to save big IMO is to go OE power steering to a manual rack, which is ~71 lbs. Even comparing a Borgeson to a manual rack is ~56.6 lbs. And none of that considers any change in the CG, because the coilovers put the weight higher than the torsion bars do.

All the weights of the individual components are listed here Anybody running the RMS AlterKation? Was it really worth the cost?

You need multiple sets of coil over springs to really tune a coil-over suspension, otherwise you're mostly just changing damping and rebound and you can do that with adjustable shocks on a torsion bar system. Springs are springs, whether they're coils or bars.

Money? You can have pretty much the most expensive stuff there is for torsion bars and still save thousands. I did. And I have stuff that you don't necessarily need (like tubular LCA's, fancy ball joints, spring sliders, etc).

RMS Alterkation w/engine mounts and without brakes - $4,995
RMS Street Lynx - $1,995

Total: $6,990 (keep in mind this doesn't include installing the street lynx, which takes welding)

This is everything I have on my Duster. It's not the cheapest way to do it, although it's not the most expensive either (ie, complete Hotchkis TVS). I didn't spend this much, as some of the parts I listed at full price I actually bought second hand for less (like the steering box for only $300). Even leaving out the rear coilover conversion, you can do the whole car cheaper than just the front AlterK. Even with all new components priced out this is a $2,800 savings.

Front:
1.12" torsion bars from Firm Feel: $355
Bergman Autocraft SPC UCA's:$395
Bergman Autocraft Delrin LCA bushings: $80
Firm Feel greaseable LCA pins: $135
Howe Racing upper ball joints: $130
Proforged lower ball joints:$80
QA1 LCA's: $395
Hotchkis Shocks: $475
Hellwig 55905 front bar: $175
Flaming River 16:1 steering box: $610
QA1 tie rod sleeves: $50
Proforged tie rods (all): $65
Moog pitman and idler arms: $80
Adjustable PST strut rods:$300
Rear:
Hellwig 6908 rear bar: $180 (this is the Ebody bar I run with my B-body rear axle)
AFCO 20231M springs: $320
AFCO leaf spring sliders: $200
Dr. Diff 1/2" spring offset:$150
Leaf spring perches: $15

Front suspension: 3,325
Rear suspension : 865

Total: $4,190

Coil Over vs Torsion Bar

Sorry for the distraction, but you can have an all out torsion bar car for far less money than a conversion, only give up 30 lbs of weight (with a lower CG) manual to manual, and still run "off the shelf" headers.

Will this unit work with the Alterkation system?

USCT7M1001-Mopar K-Frame Stand Drivetrain Restoration Tool

Jeff

Not without modification. Those posts go up into the holes in the center of the stock K frame. There's nothing there on an Alterkation.

Will this unit work with the Alterkation system?

USCT7M1001-Mopar K-Frame Stand Drivetrain Restoration Tool

Jeff

Yes it will but you will need their Tubuar K-frame adapters - USCT7M5012
USCT7M5012-Tubular K-Frame adapters (2 ea)

Not without modification. Those posts go up into the holes in the center of the stock K frame. There's nothing there on an Alterkation.
???

72bluNblu,
You're the one with a ton of less than fully accurate info here. Plus, don't muddy the waters talking about rear suspensions. We could debate that somewhere else.
Sorry, but, there's a ton of less than fully accurate info here.

TTI's 1 7/8" headers are designed to fit with torsion bars. I have Doug's 1 5/8" on mine with 1.12" bars.

Look, I test fit the 1-3/4" step headers with my 1.24" Firm Feel bars and I could tell the 1-7/8" headers are going to need some real serious massaging. Not even close. I might just settle for the 1-3/4" step headers and "dimple" the fu<k out of them instead of heavily modifying 1-7/8" TTi's. My engine builder is recommending the bigger headers with my horsepower though.

Weight? It's only a big improvement if you switch from OE power steering to a manual rack.

Looks like I optimized the weight savings then. I am actually running a power rack but use a light Sweet Mfg. pump and my reservoir is about a quart. Doesn't weigh but a few pounds.

These weights are all for an HDK conversion, not an Alterkation, but the weights are likely pretty similar....... OE power steering to a manual rack, which is ~71 lbs. ....... coilovers put the weight higher than the torsion bars do.

71 lbs. is a lot! But Alter-k-tion likely weighs more.

RMS Alterkation w/engine mounts and without brakes - $4,995

ONE shipping charge. Includes the rack and pinion.

I took the liberty of fixing your prices to reflect current prices using my invoices from BAC and searching Summit. Click to expand.
Front:
1.12" torsion bars from Firm Feel: X$355X (FF 1.25" bars are $450/ Difference $95)
Bergman Autocraft SPC UCA's:$395
Bergman Autocraft Delrin LCA bushings: X$80X ($85)
Firm Feel greaseable LCA pins: $135
Howe Racing upper ball joints: X$130X ($145 from BAC)
Proforged lower ball joints:$80
QA1 LCA's: X$395X ($449 from Summit)
Hotchkis Shocks: $475
Hellwig 55905 front bar: $175
Flaming River 16:1 steering box: $610
QA1 tie rod sleeves: $50
Proforged tie rods (all): $65
Moog pitman and idler arms: $80
Adjustable PST strut rods:$300
Borgeson kit from Bergman Autocraft: $1,416
Front suspension: X3,325X ($5,515)

Price with 1.25" bars and steering - $5,515
Not included is a bunch of shipping charge on at least 15 individual items $$$

I don't know where you're getting your parts from but you must be sponsored or something, LOL. Also, you forgot to add the steering box when doing the comparison.

I'm not debating the effectiveness of said systems. I'm building a torsion bar car right now for Pete's sake. I'm not here poo pooing the torsion bar system, @72bluNblu. I just think it is (1) up to an individual to support the aftermarket how they want too, (2) these coilover systems foot the bill for some builds, (3) these coilover systems do perform. And, it's not like the optimized torsion bar system is better or worse (same for the coilovers). They won't make a bad driver good.

I really hope you don't think I'm trying to throw shade but I want to make sure this information is accurate and I think your statement about my info being less than factual is, itself, inaccurate and you conveniently left out info (steering box / brake kits?) to try to prove your point. No hard feelings.

Last edited:

Jeff

Hey MrJLR,

Good luck with your project! I'm looking forward to your comments on the AlterKation setup after you have it installed.
BTW, make sure to check basepan clearance with the Alterkation k-member before you tighten everything up. I had to clearance a corner of my Milodon pan to get access to one bolt.

Cheers!

BTW, make sure to check basepan clearance ,,, I had to clearance a corner of my Milodon pan to get access to one bolt.
Cheers!

Yes! I forgot abut that and thought it was just my pan. I used a rear sump Moroso 8 qt road race style pan and it is super duper close, like an 1/8". Any closer and it would need clearancing.
@MrJLR, while we are talking about pans you may want to switch pans while you have the suspension dropped and it'll be really easy to change it from underneath.
Check out the Kevko M-319
https://www.cnc-motorsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=oi+pan

Last edited:
Hey MrJLR,

Good luck with your project! I'm looking forward to your comments on the AlterKation setup after you have it installed.
BTW, make sure to check basepan clearance with the Alterkation k-member before you tighten everything up. I had to clearance a corner of my Milodon pan to get access to one bolt.

Cheers!

Here's the mod I did to my oil pan.

DSCN5095.JPG

-
Back