Alternator wire up

-
Anybody know how to wire up this alternator? Or have a wiring diagram?

20180309_184122.jpg

Little off topic but it may help in the future.

One of the best tools I ever bought for my Dart was a laminated wiring diagram. It cost about $20 and I use it all the time.

It would help if we knew "where it was going" and "what you have" for a voltage regulator. Free shop manuals are at MyMopar AS WELL AS simplified diagrams such as AbodyJoe posted showing the VR hookup

That electrical scheme was started in 1970 and is known properly as an "isolated field" because the earlier alternators had a single field connection with the other end grounded. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH a meter that there is no continuity to ground (shouldl be open/ infinite) from either field connection to ground. MANY rebuilts come through with missing insulators on the brush holders

You can use that with the old style VR by grounding one field connection and hooking the remainder to your old VR

It would help if we knew "where it was going" and "what you have" for a voltage regulator. Free shop manuals are at MyMopar AS WELL AS simplified diagrams such as AbodyJoe posted showing the VR hookup

That electrical scheme was started in 1970 and is known properly as an "isolated field" because the earlier alternators had a single field connection with the other end grounded. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH a meter that there is no continuity to ground (shouldl be open/ infinite) from either field connection to ground. MANY rebuilts come through with missing insulators on the brush holders

You can use that with the old style VR by grounding one field connection and hooking the remainder to your old VR
Hi mate, Im updating to a Bosch R55 reg. Its the first time I've used this type of alternator and wasn't sure how to wire it up.

Last edited:
Little off topic but it may help in the future.
One of the best tools I ever bought for my Dart was a laminated wiring diagram. It cost about $20 and I use it all the time.

The laminated wiring diagram is helpful but be careful about following it exactly. Bought mine from Classic Industries for my 73 Dart 340 Sport. Wire colors on the diagram were not consistent with the car, and the bulkhead connection diagram did not match what's in my vehicle in every case. My car has an unmodified wiring harness.

To help us, it would be nice to explain the Bosch R55 Vreg, its advantages, and why you used it. Re the 1970-80's Mopar square-back alternator, it is very basic. You apply a voltage difference between the 2 field terminals (either direction), causing current to flow thru the field, and when it turns it outputs current (into case, out of big stud). The Vreg adjusts that field current to adjust the output current. The 1960's round-back Mopar alternator is similar, with one field terminal grounded to the case.

how does this wiring to alt look for guys who put modern swap engines in their cars with stand alone efi?
do i just ditch the regulator? alt is internally regulated on newer alts i believe are they not??
gen3 hellcat hemi and holley efi for reference.

I'm not up on most of the new cars, but many that I know of, are externally regulated by the computer. In fact mopar did that back in the '80's, on the "K" cars. I worked on several that had a failure in that area, and wired in a stand alone regulator, rather then replace the computer.

how does this wiring to alt look for guys who put modern swap engines in their cars with stand alone efi?
do i just ditch the regulator? alt is internally regulated on newer alts i believe are they not??
gen3 hellcat hemi and holley efi for reference.

I don't know if the "newest" Mopars are internally regulated, but up til 2001, is the newest I've seen, ALL alternators have an isolated field just like the 70's. So you can hook the flat Mopar electronic regulator to them. And as noted above^^you can even hook up an external one in case of a computer failure

Went to a square back alternator and flat style voltage regulator years ago. Not long ago I changed the squareback to a 80 amp denso cause I run a cooling fan for the summer. Need to change to double v belt pulley but still charges very well.

Wish you guys would add "off of a 19XX Whisnat BR540" when you say Denso so we have some idea.........................

well i have a 1 wire alt for mine. denso 8128 95amp 102mm mini alt. it is self regulated and adjustable regulator internally. so im guessing i dont have to worry about the remote regulator now. holley efi anyways not stock ecu or anything like that.

-
Back