Alternator ?

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
I have a 1972 dart swinger with a 318. I added A/C and an electric fan and my stock alternator is not keeping up. I see a lot of choices out there: round back, square back , one wire connection etc. What do I need in size and style?
Thanks.

You may have a combination if issues, especially if you have factory stock wiring

Read this article

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/howitworks.shtml

"Squareback" is a later, better design, provides better low RPM output.

But throwing a larger alternator at a wiring problem is not the answer

The modern Denso is better if you want to go to the trouble, mounting, pulleys, etc

"One wire" just means the regulator is built into (onto) the alternator. They have both advantages and disadvantages.

Where you got a power supply for the additions is a factor also. These high draw items should be on relays that supply their power from under the hood. The post on the starter relay is the best place for power supply, with fusible link from that post to relay terminal of course. Manually operated switches and the smaller wiring inside the cabin should only signal the relays. Otherwise the faults at mad pages will happen eventually.

A square-back would be the simplest install, since uses your existing brackets. Just ground one field terminal or change to an electronic Vreg (better).

What does "not keeping up" mean? Does your battery run down, so you must put it on a charger every week, or do you just see "discharge" on the ammeter when idling? The later isn't a major problem as long as your battery stays charged. I would guess that most of my modern cars are drawing from the battery when the radiator fan is on while idling. Not a concern since I am "flying blind" with no dash ammeter.

You can throw the biggest alternator on there you can buy, but if you don't straighten out the wiring, it will not do you a bit of good.

How many amps does the fan draw? Unless you have a lot of other high current draw items turned on (big electric fuel pump for example), the stock alternator should be good enough. Bad grounds and the crappy OEM wiring going to and from the ammeter are the cause of most charging problems on old Mopars.

-
Back