Aluminum cylinder heads

-
You can and should do that but set some limits, no need to go overboard. There are many members that over thought, over built, and ended up disappointed with the drivability and mileage. I am talking about a radical combination that only works with your foot to the floor and tires screaming and impossible to run 70 down the interstate to a out if town car cruise while getting 5 mpg with $5 gas.
That makes sense to me

That makes sense to me

Yup... go with known power adders that I believe everyone here can agree with. Disregard what you read about hipo stuffs.. you are not going to be toooling around town or on the highway at WOT. You want to buy components that will improve those driving conditions. Better exhaust/headers, intake & carb, ignition, as noted earlier.. rockers. IIRC the stock stamped vary from 1.45~1.47 ish. A true set of 1.5 rockers is actually a decent improvement over stock. None of the above breaks the bank on it's own and you can do on your own reasonably once you get the parts collected. Any one of the upgrades is not dependent on another.

The aluminum heads, roller rockers and intake I just put on my 360LA were wayyy more than the bottom end and mild cam merit. But I plan to stroke & upgrade the cam long term so it made sense and the new combo is actually very streetable once dialed in. If I were not going to stroke it later a decent redo on the cast heads would have sufficed.

GL!

Are there any aluminium heads made in the USA? I like what I've read about promaxx heads but they are made in China. I can't justify putting a lot of money into rebuilding stock heads and then the aftermarket ones can be expensive. Is it possible to get a set for around $1,400. I don't need the best, but I don't want junk either. Am I limited to Chinese cylinder heads? If so which ones would be the best bang for the buck?
YES! Edelbrock heads are cast and machined here in California! I know for sure because I visited their manufacturing plant before I signed up as a dealer with them. Edelbrock is now a part of Com/
I just wanted to be able to explore my options for when I freshen up the 318. Magnum heads require a expensive magnum only intake and the 302 heads are usually cracked, so I'm trying to find out what I can / should do, I'll probably wind up rebuilding the factory heads.
ave bee wanting to buy "cheap" head for your 318. From what I have seen and witnessed aluminum heads do not make more power on stock engines. If I were you, I would do a clean-up of the ports and have a good valve job done by a race shop. You will be surprised. While you are working the heads see about a little more compression and perhaps a small cam that matches your torque converter (B&M)

We’ve been telling him…. A LOT!

YES! Edelbrock heads are cast and machined here in California! I know for sure because I visited their manufacturing plant before I signed up as a dealer with them. Edelbrock is now a part of Com/

ave bee wanting to buy "cheap" head for your 318. From what I have seen and witnessed aluminum heads do not make more power on stock engines. If I were you, I would do a clean-up of the ports and have a good valve job done by a race shop. You will be surprised. While you are working the heads see about a little more compression and perhaps a small cam that matches your torque converter (B&M)

Redoing the stock heads is the route I'm going to take. A friend of mine who knows how to port heads is going to do that as well as clean up the bowl area. Machine shop suggested a 4 angle valve job and back cut the valve's. I'm thinking about using 1.88" intake valve's and 1.600" exhaust valve's.

Yup... go with known power adders that I believe everyone here can agree with. Disregard what you read about hipo stuffs.. you are not going to be toooling around town or on the highway at WOT. You want to buy components that will improve those driving conditions. Better exhaust/headers, intake & carb, ignition, as noted earlier.. rockers. IIRC the stock stamped vary from 1.45~1.47 ish. A true set of 1.5 rockers is actually a decent improvement over stock. None of the above breaks the bank on it's own and you can do on your own reasonably once you get the parts collected. Any one of the upgrades is not dependent on another.

The aluminum heads, roller rockers and intake I just put on my 360LA were wayyy more than the bottom end and mild cam merit. But I plan to stroke & upgrade the cam long term so it made sense and the new combo is actually very streetable once dialed in. If I were not going to stroke it later a decent redo on the cast heads would have sufficed.

GL!
I haven't looked lately, who makes a good 1.5 ratio rocker arm that's not a roller tip, something like the 273 rocker arms?

@S’cuder Thanks for the correction. Thanks! Thanks do believe I forgot about Mancini. Sorry about that Dan.

I do remember Crane and Isky used to. Perhaps ISKY still might make them?

Thanks
@S’cuder Thanks for the correction. Thanks! Thanks do believe I forgot about Mancini. Sorry about that Dan.

That's okay. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and post a list of modifications that I plan to do, I haven't bought anything yet.

@rumblefish360, I have a question about roller tip rocker arms ( I'm not using them ). I've read that they are known for the roller tips coming apart, what causes this? Manici does have the ductile iron rockers, which shafts do I need for these? I probably wouldn't be doing a cam swap till the winter. I figured that since I'm going to convert to a 4 barrel that would be a good time to swap out the rocker arms too.

@rumblefish360, I have a question about roller tip rocker arms ( I'm not using them ). I've read that they are known for the roller tips coming apart, what causes this? Manici does have the ductile iron rockers, which shafts do I need for these? I probably wouldn't be doing a cam swap till the winter. I figured that since I'm going to convert to a 4 barrel that would be a good time to swap out the rocker arms too.

Not true

Have not heard this about roller rockers myself. Even the less expensive rollers seem to do fine on moderate lift cams without issue.

You will need to measure for ball and cup style pushrods.

@Dan the man
I've read that they are known for the roller tips coming apart, what causes this?
Under racing conditions where extreme pressures are combined with all the motion and slamming the tips at extreme rpm, this is a unusual thing to happen. On a street engine, a street strip engine and even on a pretty strong race engine, I would not worry. If my engine was built to attempt to be top of the food chain power, they would be inspected every now and again. On a stock engine, they would only be looked at during a valve gasket change or a cam change. In other words, I’d never look.
Manici does have the ductile iron rockers, which shafts do I need for these?
That’s what you should have called Mancini for but I’d bet a days pay that the stock shaft is fine. It really does t make any sense to alter the shaft diameter. Unless it’s a top predator build and there is a good reason to. I haven’t ever noticed a major change in shaft diameter. It’s normally shaft thickness.

I probably wouldn't be doing a cam swap till the winter. I figured that since I'm going to convert to a 4 barrel that would be a good time to swap out the rocker arms too.
IMO, doing all the parts at once is the best thing to do. It not only saves on down time but you get to drive the car more until the swap day arrives.

It will also be the best and obvious power gain since you’ll notice all the power at once. Not a slow build up over time. Which some have said, it’s such a slow creep up in power it was actually a bit disappointing.

When you do it all at once and hop in the car and take it for a drive, the car will feel like a new vehicle. It’ll feel great! It might just want to make you put it to bed in a Star Wars Sith robe.
:lol:

Get all of your ducks (parts) in a row, lined up and ready to go. Missouri gets cold in the winter so have the garage heater ready to go! Keep all of your parts indoors. Sounds crazy right? I’ll tell ya what’s crazy! Handling crazy cold parts in the winter!

-
Back