aluminum heads

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the thousands of SS Mopar racers who've run and WON with those very heads would disagree.

Have you checked to see how much money SS racers have in there heads?

I just returned from the Division 7 Race at the Strip..and a friend of mind of 30 yrs....just had a new SS 340 build for a 71 Duster...SS/JA

I just returned from the Division 7 Race at the Strip..and a friend of mind of 30 yrs....just had a new SS 340 build for a 71 Duster...SS/JA

well don't leave us hangin??? lol

Guys running lil red's do good with them, cast 77 for 78 and so on...but you do with what you have.

I do think the 77-80 something ports are slightly diff between the 70-74 heads, let alone in 74/75 the addition of air injection bosses on the exhaust floors.
People say to try and use them as more st, but they are a lil too far off from the seat to really utilize.

so how much does he have in the heads?

"stephen was a race car driver, he drove so god damned fast He never did win no checkered flags but he never did come in last.
stephen was a race car driver, he'd say "El solo number one" With a bocephus sticker on his 360, he'd light 'em up just for fun"

PRIMUS.

Since budget is your concern, and you are working with a stock shortblock (with cam added), I would agree with Rumblefish - rework your existing heads. Milling can gain you a half point of compression or so, and a home porting job only costs your time and effort. It will be worth the effort.

well don't leave us hangin??? lol

Guys running lil red's do good with them, cast 77 for 78 and so on...but you do with what you have.

I do think the 77-80 something ports are slightly diff between the 70-74 heads, let alone in 74/75 the addition of air injection bosses on the exhaust floors.
People say to try and use them as more st, but they are a lil too far off from the seat to really utilize.

so how much does he have in the heads?

He has over 6500.00 in a set of 308 heads....actually the engine is a 73 340 ...the engine cost just over 20k...

I just sold him a set of X heads for a stocker he has....the kid has too much money...I have know this kid for 30 yrs...since he was 12...LOL..

Another friend with a 68 F/SA 340 Barracuda says it cost just over 3k for a set of stocker heads done...

Not for all of us, but there are better factory castings to start with.
Porting ability counts too.

but for the most part sure.

yes magnums are better,but require diferent intakemanifolds and valvetraincomponents,wish LA castings are alot better?

I am not talking about now. I am talking about back when those castings were new. When they were the only things available. They can be build affordably. Especially if youget off your *** and learn how to do some of the work yourself. Evidently,that would not occur to you.

He has over 6500.00 in a set of 308 heads.......

I don't believe you for one damned minute. If you wanna win an arguement, comed up with a better lie than that.

I don't believe you for one damned minute. If you wanna win an arguement, comed up with a better lie than that.

I post what i was told...and you get your panties in a wad....

Call Don Little over in Kalifronia ...or talk to Mike Blackstone over in Livermore Ca...

these are the guy building COMPETITIVE stock and super stocker engine....not your local joe blow machine shop...if you think you are going to bolt on a set of STock X heads and go racing in Stock or Super Stock.....you better put down the crack pipe...

YOU asked I and told...

So tell me how much it cost to build a Super Stock 340 engine...since you seem to know so much...>??????????????????

Here is the F/SA 68 Barracuda.....he is currently qualified 11 at the NHRA Division 7 race TODAY....
He is 9 Tenths under his index...

11 777 F/SA Earl Blake, Las Vegas NV, '68 Barracuda 11.202 12.15 -0.948

Don Little does the heads...and Blackstone does the short block and assemble...

The Super Stocker is not running this weekend....

They are running in Stock with this car...

93 7784 D/SA Paul Wong, Las Vegas NV, 70 Duster 11.551 11.84 -0.289

They can not get this car to ET...It has a slow 60 ft time....should be 3 tenths quicker..

And since you know so much they are probably calling you right now to find out what is wrong...LOL,,,,

here are the cars..took these yesterday

show me what you got?

Attachments

• IMG_0448.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 228
Ok.....I'll apologize for the lie comment. Sorry. but lemmie rephrase......IF that idiot has 6500 bucks in a set of STOCK iron heads, he is the biggest idiot in the world. Maybe it is HE who stretches thr truth. I mean dammit man, if I was stupid enough to spend that kinda money on iron heads, I wouldn't want anybody knowin it. ...and for the record.....my panties ain't in a wad. First, I said I didn't believe it. I still don't. Second, I don't wear panties. lol

yes magnums are better,but require diferent intakemanifolds and valvetraincomponents,wish LA castings are alot better?

Magnums aren't better, they do have a closed chamber and on some flow bench somewhere as stock flow 3 cfm more @.300 [1.94 vs 1.88, but at all other lifts flow less than an LA head. Then they also have pedestal stud mount rockers, thin castings that crack and don't have much potential ported form beyond 250 cfm, meanwhile LA heads hit 270-290's cfm on an average when ported, just bowl blended LA heads flow 240's on the intake.

Those who say they are better need to show me their flow #'s stock and ported.

The magnums beyond stock don't even get close the old heads.

Depending on where you are, machine shop costs to get stock heads up to par reconditioned its almost worth it to go aftermarket...the RHS heads are great from IMM setup the way they come, and anyone who doubts their success would just have to look at the countless success stories

if there is one thing i may ask though, is why the heck didnt they make the RHS heads in aluminum...they would have STOLE or atleast been side by side with the edelbrocks in the entry level mopar aluminum head market...Ill never understand this

Magnums aren't better, they do have a closed chamber and on some flow bench somewhere as stock flow 3 cfm more @.300 [1.94 vs 1.88, but at all other lifts flow less than an LA head. Then they also have pedestal stud mount rockers, thin castings that crack and don't have much potential ported form beyond 250 cfm, meanwhile LA heads hit 270-290's cfm on an average when ported, just bowl blended LA heads flow 240's on the intake.

Those who say they are better need to show me their flow #'s stock and ported.

The magnums beyond stock don't even get close the old heads.

i think that the chamber diference makes alot more diference than alot of people realise since we dont race flowbenches anyway.
as for what the old LA heads flow,well ported 270 sure. 290 is probably out of reach for 90percent of the people who knows anything about how to redo a set of heads to actualy work and at that point they are anyway out of reach for 99% of the people who is paying for the work to be done and pretty darn thin and there is a risk of them craking over time anyway.
but i do agree fully about teh shaftmounted rockers being lots more stable,its almost scary to watch how much the GM design moves around when any kind of springpreasure is aplied.
btw my eddelbrock heads are ported by someone who knows a litle about how to make heads work and he has a flowbench and he was very disturbed about the flownumbers edelbrock said that the rpm heads where suposed to have stock they where far of from truth and he was not impressed with them in anyway exept for that the heads where atleast straight when they came out of the box..anyway they ended up flowing somewhere around 290cfm at the peak with a good average on the lower lifts and they are real thin in criticalareas like pushrod pinch and close to where the innerrow of headbolts are,i cant see how an older castironcasting could flow as good as these things does without risking of ruining the heads if you go to thin in these spots and with castiron its alot worse to repair if you go to far.

I say just bite the bullet and go W series. Yes, they cost a bit, but when your getting the very best heads you can get, you got to pay for it.

None,but if i absolutely have to i'd use x or j's...

I agree. X, J, then 308/596 heads. But factory iron only goes so far. OOTB Edel. heads are a great bang for the buck. But if you (The OE poster) has limited funds, stick with the iron heads like I said and just bowl port and back cut the OE valves.

'77 360 heads aren't worth putting .02 into..

Absolutely depends on the situation,I got a set done for $600 complete with valves,springs etc. and quality machine work.I then ported them myself and the flow peaked at 258 and 197 @.550 with 252 and 190 @.500,waaaayyy better than a basic edelbrock head can do with out some decent money put into porting-not too mention they need fluffin and buffin otb just to be right,you can aproach $2k quick to get those results.Basicly I would kick your *** with what you consider junk iron heads lol.

Absolutely depends on the situation,I got a set done for $600 complete with valves,springs etc. and quality machine work.I then ported them myself and the flow peaked at 258 and 197 @.550 with 252 and 190 @.500,waaaayyy better than a basic edelbrock head can do with out some decent money put into porting-not too mention they need fluffin and buffin otb just to be right,you can aproach $2k quick to get those results.Basicly I would kick your *** with what you consider junk iron heads lol.

LOL, well, I agree with you to a point and mostly I'll wave the flag for the iron head. Often, even with the cost of porting, they can be a better deal (cost wise) than a Edelbrock head. Cost aside, the Edelbrock with the same work would be a great head for alot of levels of performance. Then the work (Again, Cost aside) would make it an apple to apple like compare.
Also, alot has do with how you use the head. Flow numbers (Bigger) aint everything. ;)

Just wondering, had you paid for the porting work you did, what would the cost be in your neck of the woods.
(Also, please describe exactly what you did, Thanks :-D )

Pricewise Edelbrocks ARE your best choice..but you'll need to increase the budget some..

DO NOT BUY EDELJUNK!!!...i spent $2000 on a set of performer RPMs and had to get $600 of work to make them useable...the casting was brutal...twisted ports, not eve .050 on the ports....and edeljunk didnt help me out of exchange them whats so ever..there was so much flash, valve grind was nasty, and there was even 1 sticky valve...

i also had to get them resurfaced, out of the box, they werent "true"

i will never buy a set of edeljunks again....take a look at the link on my website.

heres a link to out of the box

http://www.bcgbody.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19087

and the second link is after i had them redone

http://www.bcgbody.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19154

why run aluminum heads if you dont need to gain 10 points in the war against detonation. Iron heads quenched properly are easily good to 9.5 to one on 93 0ctane. Iron is a lot cheaper. 50 pounds may be a half a tenth at the drags but will you feel that on the street?If you need to shed some heat because of high compression thats another thing.For the difference you could buy a roller cam set up and probably pick up more ponys. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back