Aluminum heads

-
so I’ve been reading a lot about aluminum heads. The pros and cons of running them. Just curious what the thoughts people had about aluminum. I ask because I’m planning to build a motor this coming summer (340). Probly will be a stroker. I’m trying to see what kind of budget I need to have. I’m not gonna build a drag car. It will be a street motor. thanks for the reply’s in advance

Is this the TrickFlow post, procomp Speedmaster post, aluminum head post, or cast iron vs aluminum.

I’m old and easily confused. Lol
Aluminum heads..

here's my point would you recommend to some new guy on the form to buy trick flow heads for hos tired old beat-up 318? I realized he said it's just a temporary deal till he gets them on his big motor but seriously?...

Yes I would. Your not understanding how cylinder head limited these engines are. All of them. Chrysler stuff especially. That's why Chrylser used longer rods and shorter strokes than everyone else. Their induction systems needed it.

So yes, I'd tell him to buy the heads and cam it accordingly. He'll be much better off. In the now and the long run.

Ok knew this would stir the pot. I’m gonna buy the heads regardless. But don’t want to hurt them. I have two 318 motors. One in a truck and one in a dart. It’s kinda a long story. The dart has a cam of some form or fashion idk. The truck is newly rebuilt. It’s gonna be trial and error. I wont need bigger than a 2.02 valve. (I think). I posted this cause if you read the thread I want a stroker. Basically I’m gonna play with what I got till I get there. But now I’m not sure the heads will fit a 318 because of the bore and valve size. Now don’t get me wrong. When I pull the trigger on the heads I’m gonna buy the ones for .700 if lift. I’m NOT gonna buy another set of heads.
2.02 valves fit the 318.

here's my point would you recommend to some new guy on the form to buy trick flow heads for hos tired old beat-up 318? I realized he said it's just a temporary deal till he gets them on his big motor but seriously?...

Ok knew this would stir the pot. I’m gonna buy the heads regardless. But don’t want to hurt them. I have two 318 motors. One in a truck and one in a dart. It’s kinda a long story. The dart has a cam of some form or fashion idk. The truck is newly rebuilt. It’s gonna be trial and error. I wont need bigger than a 2.02 valve. (I think). I posted this cause if you read the thread I want a stroker. Basically I’m gonna play with what I got till I get there. But now I’m not sure the heads will fit a 318 because of the bore and valve size. Now don’t get me wrong. When I pull the trigger on the heads I’m gonna buy the ones for .700 if lift. I’m NOT gonna buy another set of heads.
LOL..
Keep asking questions...

You'll be in for a big surprise when you're cam guy doesn't even want to talk about the lift and wants to discuss the duration with you...

And this is not an all-out trailer drag effort correct?..

Bore notch will help the head flow better.
Bore notch not required to us the TF head on a 318...........273 Yes bore notch required with a 2.02

It's not ridiculous. There is no reason to not do it. He'll have the heads off. Notching the bore is pretty simple.

The small block Chrysler is one of the most induction crippled engines there is. The 318 is no different. It can use all the head you can stuff on it.

The first 318 I did had 2.02 valves, a Strip Dominator, 1.75 headers and a 284/.484 cam that took a ton of money from street racing suckers. There was more than one fist fight over if it was a 318 or not.

That particular combo didn't come from my imagination. It came from Kieth Hershberger. Right from HIS mouth. He also warned me to not get talked out of it. And many tried.

In fact, if the guy that owned the car wanted to run a 3.90 gear rather than the 3.23 gears he wanted, we would have used. 750 carb and 292/.509 cam. It would have been a real dong beater then!

It also had. 3500 stall converter back when most guys said it was too much for a street car.

That was 1980.
318WILLRUN....... wink wink....
No, they are 2.02 as TF was smart enough to know a bigger valve isn't always better. And they still get pretty killer flow numbers out of that small valve.

Things that make you say Hmmmmmmmmm.
I think I just said this to somebody about bigger valves not always being better, but I got the good old disagree button.....

????

I went back and read his post and did not see where it said the 318 was worn out. Besides, I seem to remember a guy on here who put a tunnel ram on a worn out 318. So, why not good heads?
OUCH!!!! that one burned... LOL

318WILLRUN....... wink wink....

I think I just said this to somebody about bigger valves not always being better, but I got the good old disagree button.....

????

OUCH!!!! that one burned... LOL

this is the post he won't show you because it doesn't coincide with what he's trying to make you believe...
What!? I'm wrong impossible!!..

this is the post he won't show you because it doesn't coincide with what he's trying to make you believe...
speak'n of heads.... didn't I just say to you your 2.02's vs my 1.92's aren't the tell all? Valve size doesn't always mean a better flowing head??? What did I get, the big ole' disagree button. Don't make me post the quote.... :rolleyes:
ANd it is true, you bolted dual quads on a 318, why not good heads?

speak'n of heads.... didn't I just say to you your 2.02's vs my 1.92's aren't the tell all? Valve size doesn't always mean a better flowing head??? What did I get, the big ole' disagree button. Don't make me post the quote.... :rolleyes:
ANd it is true, you bolted dual quads on a 318, why not good heads?
Go get your posts and spend your time the way you want to lol...
I bought a dual quad tunnel ram for $450 that I still have to this day it's a non wearing part..
Just because you're buying a $600 van and putting the $5, 000 stereo in it doesn't mean everyone else thinks that's a good idea...
Do I have to quote the post again where remember has 5K into trick flows and a bigger cam and bigger carburetor and only picked up a tenth of a second?
Same old story me constantly trying not to get people to spend their money and the rest of the forum rooting them on..
Yeah go ahead buy them buy them, it ain't my money...

Now that we've basically went on to the subject of him having a little fun with what he has until he can afford something how about going down this Avenue and just getting$400 into a small nitrous kit and have fun....

Go get your posts and spend your time the way you want to lol...
I bought a dual quad tunnel ram for $450 that I still have to this day it's a non wearing part..
Just because you're buying a $600 van and putting the $5, 000 stereo in it doesn't mean everyone else thinks that's a good idea...
Do I have to quote the post again where remember has 5K into trick flows and a bigger cam and bigger carburetor and only picked up a tenth of a second?
Same old story me constantly trying not to get people to spend their money and the rest of the forum rooting them on..
LOL.... well, to tell you the truth, I've been porting again. Not my heads though.....

Would you like to tell us something..
sure..... over all the years of porting, i'm a little burnt out. For real, I think i'll start buying heads, like pro comp/EQ's/etc. Hobby has to = fun. When the "fun" leaves a part, then that "part" has to be replaced, and looks like head porting may have fallen into that bracket

sure..... over all the years of porting, i'm a little burnt out. For real, I think i'll start buying heads, like pro comp/EQ's/etc. Hobby has to = fun. When the "fun" leaves a part, then that "part" has to be replaced, and looks like head porting may have fallen into that bracket
I put a few days into my heads way back when I'm sure there's pictures on the forum and all that, you know how we do..
I didn't care for it all when I did it and don't care to think about doing it again. I worked into many machine shops with grinders and I had my fill..

What wait a minute!?.. did you just say your next set of heads are going to be Procomp?..

Let's get back on track
per OP's comment about 700 lift and etc
get the head with the correct springs for the cam you are going to run
you are going to have to buy new springs with the new cam for the stroker anyway as I doubt they will be the same
same with the valves
no reason to go big on the intake with a 318 (depending on rpm ignore if this is a trailer build)
exhaust is big enough or too big anyway
you might want to pick the cam first if you are going to change it rpm range and all that
I'd suggest converting to solids somewhere along the line- now or later
forget valve to block interference on the 318
it's the combustion chamber overhang = flow out of the intake hitting the top of the bore that needs the notch
measure twice cut once
and go easy on the headers you do not need 1 7/8 tubes and 3" collectors
the heads will be a good investment
you will need less cam with the new heads (to get the same intake charge)

Let's get back on track
per OP's comment about 700 lift and etc
get the head with the correct springs for the cam you are going to run
you are going to have to buy new springs with the new cam for the stroker anyway as I doubt they will be the same
same with the valves
no reason to go big on the intake with a 318 (depending on rpm ignore if this is a trailer build)
exhaust is big enough or too big anyway
you might want to pick the cam first if you are going to change it rpm range and all that
I'd suggest converting to solids somewhere along the line- now or later
forget valve to block interference on the 318
it's the combustion chamber overhang = flow out of the intake hitting the top of the bore that needs the notch
measure twice cut once
and go easy on the headers you do not need 1 7/8 tubes and 3" collectors
the heads will be a good investment
you will need less cam with the new heads (to get the same intake charge)
Did I just see you tell him to buy a heads according to the springs they have?
We better get started on this magic 700 lift number he's fot up in his head and what's that going to do for him..

This is irrelevant really,as many things as he changed and who knows what his heads flowed before,cam size,nothing and this has nothing to do with replacing stock heads for trickflows. I really don't know why you are so against the trickflows but they are a superior quality head and to get a chinese head to flow as well you will be in them the same money or more and that's not including spring,valve and or guide upgrades. The heads you have are fine but just like a cheap set of headers there are better quality parts available for more money.Use what works within the budget you have and enjoy but there is no reason to hate on parts that cost more money and are better quality.

This is irrelevant really,as many things as he changed and who knows what his heads flowed before,cam size,nothing and this has nothing to do with replacing stock heads for trickflows. I really don't know why you are so against the trickflows but they are a superior quality head and to get a chinese head to flow as well you will be in them the same money or more and that's not including spring,valve and or guide upgrades. The heads you have are fine but just like a cheap set of headers there are better quality parts available for more money.Use what works within the budget you have and enjoy but there is no reason to hate on parts that cost more money and are better quality.
I don't hate trick flow heads, and the word Chinese doesn't scare me...

I don't hate trick flow heads, and the word Chinese doesn't scare me...
Well I apologise if I am wrong,it just seems you are more skeptical of trick flows then the heads you have. It's good you are not scared of Chinese parts,we all got a lot of Chinese made stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the heads you did for what you paid if I was building a milder engine or was on a seriously tight budget.If edelbrock would price the rpms realistically or add a couple features to them they would be a great replacement head as well. Once you step up in flow/spring requirements etc. that's when the trickflow is hard to beat for the money.

-
Back