Aluminum intake to Iron heads

-

eestatic

Reaction score
Question: After reading a few threads, is it the consensus that one should NOT use the metal intake gaskets that were provided in my engine rebuild kit if going Aluminum intake to Iron heads? Or should I use something like the FelPro 1213?

I've removed my dowel pins but will this tab protruding out from head gasket cause concern if either gasket is used?

I plan on not using the cork end gaskets, but instead sealant.

Attachments

• IMG_1790.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 299
I have always left those tabs, just clean surface good and run a fat bead of gasket maker silicone, especially in the corners....and I always ditch the cork gaskets :glasses7:

Or did I cut those tabs off my last 340?!? LOL, don't think it really matters, could score it with a knife and remove them too, sure many have and do :glasses7:

Don't use the sheet metal gaskets. Use Edelbrock #7276, Mr Gasket #5840, Cometic #C5624-060, Summit Racing #SUM-G2418...
And those tabs won't hurt anything. The gap between the top of the block and the bottom of the manifold is a lot bigger than the thickness of that tab.

I have always read the same.......and said the same. But you know what? On my 351M in my Ford truck I could not for the LIFE of me get my intake to stop leaking oil in the rear.

After replacing the intake gaskets three times, I decided to try the stock steel shim intake valley pan. Guess what? It stopped the leak. Everything is fine and dandy. I have a Weiand Action Plus intake on it with the stock iron heads and everything is sealing just fine.

I have always read the same.......and said the same. But you know what? On my 351M in my Ford truck I could not for the LIFE of me get my intake to stop leaking oil in the rear.

After replacing the intake gaskets three times, I decided to try the stock steel shim intake valley pan. Guess what? It stopped the leak. Everything is fine and dandy. I have a Weiand Action Plus intake on it with the stock iron heads and everything is sealing just fine.

And you expected anything less from a Ford?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I used the FelPro gaskets listed above,, ditched the cork end gaskets and used ultra black.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I used the FelPro gaskets listed above,, ditched the cork end gaskets and used ultra black.

lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hey Kev...that sounds a little racist, don't you mean ultra "African American?" LOL :happy1:

I always use the cork gaskets, I just put the cork gaskets on with some sealer and bolt the manifold down without the intake gaskets just to squash the cork gaskets. I then take the manifold off and put the intake gaskets in place with a small amount of sealer, then put the manifold on and torque to specs. My manifold does not leak a drop.

Summit Racing #SUM-G2418
They work great and the cork end gaskets are half the thickness of fel pro set

I cut those tabs off , use the fel pro gaskets , but don't use the cork gaskets , just use funnycone , so far have not had any leaks . I have also used the steel gasket n my 318 in the past with no problem , Holley streetmaster iron heads.

I have an aluminum intake on mine, I used the tabs, because they are there to hold the intake gasket in alignment while placing the intake on.

As mentioned above, that tab will not interfere, or at least it shouldn't, because of the inherent gap front and rear between intake and china wall.

I don't bother with the head gasket tabs. They just get bent down when the intake goes on. Like mentioned above, they do hold the head to intake gasket in place during installation.
Often the end gaskets are not used. A lot will depend on how big the gap is between the block and intake. I just don't see a reason to use a whole tube of sealant on just the ends of the intake.

-
Back