Am I alone in this world ? Lol !

-

pearljam724

Reaction score
Little rant here. Little about myself and vehicles. I love good condition, old vehicles. Of all makes and models. Especially, Mopar stuff. If it’s a carbureted piece of machinery. It’s up my alley. Everything about them. The nostalgia, cost, easy maintenance, etc. I could go on and on.
I have a few very nice, old vehicles. As much as I like the old stuff. I distance myself from these newer vehicles. In all honesty, without bragging. I could easily afford to buy any new car I would choose. I just can’t relate to these newer cars on any level. I hate everything about them. Lol !

I’m not very old, while I’m not very young. I’m not too stubborn and I do see the good in modern technology. Cars included. Most importantly, i’m very honest in accepting to the fact that regardless of what we all want or how we feel. The combustion engine’s days are down to a few. It’s just a harsh reality that we can’t escape. Politics won’t change a thing. Regardless, who we support or who we don’t. Those times are here and they aren’t going away. But, you know what confirms my feelings ? Every time I pull up to a two lane traffic light. Hearing all of these modern cars shutting off and restarting at a light. That has got to be the dumbest damn thing ever. It is ridiculously, dumb. I understand the reason for it. Engines, pollute more at idle, etc. I’m all about doing things that support a better environment for all of us. But, this car shutting off thing. Is incredibly stupid. Am I alone in this world ? Lol !

Little rant here. Little about myself and vehicles. I love good condition, old vehicles. Of all makes and models. Especially, Mopar stuff. If it’s a carbureted piece of machinery. It’s up my alley. Everything about them. The nostalgia, cost, easy maintenance, etc. I could go on and on.
I have a few very nice, old vehicles. As much as I like the old stuff. I distance myself from these newer vehicles. In all honesty, without bragging. I could easily afford to buy any new car I would choose. I just can’t relate to these newer cars on any level. I hate everything about them. Lol !

I’m not very old, while I’m not very young. I’m not too stubborn and I do see the good in modern technology. Cars included. Most importantly, i’m very honest in accepting to the fact that regardless of what we all want or how we feel. The combustion engine’s days are down to a few. It’s just a harsh reality that we can’t escape. Politics won’t change a thing. Regardless, who we support or who we don’t. Those times are here and they aren’t going away. But, you know what confirms my feelings ? Every time I pull up to a two lane traffic light. Hearing all of these modern cars shutting off and restarting at a light. That has got to be the dumbest damn thing ever. It is ridiculously, dumb. I understand the reason for it. Engines, pollute more at idle, etc. I’m all about doing things that support a better environment for all of us. But, this car shutting off thing. Is incredibly stupid. Am I alone in this world ? Lol !
I've been around a long time and I love the old stuff also, but I don't necessarily believe that the "pollution factor" is as serious or as critical as it is being opined about by the "tree huggers." More can be done by the refiners to brew far cleaner burning fuel. A properly tuned engine is also the key to cleaner runs. I'm a pilot and I have been so since 1965. The only "physical" impact on the environment I have observed over the years, is the haze is not as pronounced as it was in the 70s-80s and 90s. The land scape is greener. So, I know we are doing something better, however, here is the "rude truth." We as a nation can make all of the changes being demanded by the huggers, but if you think for one moment, countries like China, India, and ALL of the third world countries are going to give up the "ICE" because the huggers demand they do...It ain't gonna happen.

Starting an engine....i was always taught that 'under normal conditions/driving' was the hardest on an engine.
Auto shop 101

I like old cars too, But I disagree with your entire premise. And you are alone in my world. I love old cars too, but for my daily driver I do like my modern, luxurious, comfortable and safe Jeep Grand Cherokee!
First of all, Internal combustion engines are certainly NOT in their last days. Although electric or hydrogen fuel cell cars will likely replace them at some time, that day is much farther off than you think. There are far too many problems with electric cars now to just legislate that gas cars will go away as of such and such date. Until the technology is where it needs to be AND the power grid is able to handle millions and millions of people charging their cars every night, gas cars are here to stay.
Second, how can you hate everything about newer cars?? They ride much better than older cars, they are FAR safer, they are more fuel efficient, modern EFI is far better than carburation and they are much more comfortable to be in. Cars today are designed to hold up in crashes. Plus there are air bags, and modern 3 point safety belts are far superior to old lap belts. Plus, most cars today have 4 wheel disk brakes, which will stop you faster. ABS brakes will stop you more safely when roads are slick. Modern cars have a lot more safety features than I care to take time to list now.
Third, engines shutting off at idle is not stupid. It saves fuel and reduces pollution! How can you be against that. If it irritates the driver/owner, most cars will allow it to be bypassed. But during in town, stop and go driving, that little function does save you gas and, therefore, money. I love it when the people who complain about the price of gas the most are the ones with the heavy foot and the driving habits that use more fuel. I bet I can drive from one side of town to the other (a 20-25 minute drive), get there within a minute of the time of most other people (assuming they obey the speed limits) and get 15-20% better gas milage. Instead of punching it from a stop light and getting up to 40 in 7 seconds, accelerate to 40 in 9 seconds. If the light turns red a block ahead, take your foot off the gas pedal and coast for a few seconds before applying the brakes. Saving gas is good for YOU and all of us.

My wife's car does that... just push a button when you start in and it turns that feature off...
5 year bumper to bumper 10 year 100k drive train warranty.. turbo all wheel drive 34 miles per gallon... I don't even want to know what it looks like under the hood... not my thing, but great for my wife... and safe...

If something is better, there would be no need for the government to mandate it and to ban the competition.

I love old cars. I love IC engines. I also love good mpg, comfort of a/c, good handling, good stopping.

cuda 4-10-23 5.jpg

Personally, the only reason that I care about fuel economy has to do with fuel prices and the frequency of having to get fuel. If gas were $1.00 a gallon I could care less if I were getting 15 mpg or 30 mpg and I don't want to drive 400 miles in-between gas stops. There's obviously more to this climate concern but then we'd be in the N&P.

I don't agree the ICE is soon to be gone. Battery production and mining, and disposal is far worse for the environment than natural oil based fuels, we are living in a political and enviromentalist nightmare. The same can be said for all those wasteful wind turbines...don't get me started on that subject.

Before I retired to drove my "old" Mopars to work everyday, thru the country sometimes 60 miles one way! Into the ity or edge of it. Love driving them, maybe the challenge of just getting there. Before that time I had an ag sales rep job that I drove a co.pickup some years 60,000 mi. Then I got home about four and trained horses till dark every evening. I enjoyed the " before I retired job better.

Like RoadKill FriedBurger or DullChic said other day 20 years fro now the old classis will still be around and have a following. The parts will be in demand. The old carswill still be loved and drove. I agree.

. I love good condition, old vehicles.
I'm 100% with you on this. The newest car I own is a 17 year old PT Cruiser.
The old carswill still be loved and drove. I agree
As much as I would love to have a new car, I have no interest in wiss-bang tecno cars that do everything but wipe your A$$.
People rely on technology and not responsibility while driving. Zero courtesy while driving too.

Last edited:
After having two cars that have auto shut off I do like it for many reason and dislike it for a few. I like the added fuel economy, in heavy traffic that is more stop than go it saves fuel. Emissions are worse at idle so add all the cars on the freeway and calculate the savings. I like other cars to have it so when stopped at a light I'm not ingesiting their emssions or hearing their fart can idle.

I disfavor it in places where you need to merge and sometimes it will shut off, but you can override the system if you know when you're going to need it to not shut off. The second dislike is comfort, on hot days when it ***** off on my truck the blower fan speed lowers and the cabin will warm up a bit.

My wife's car does that... just push a button when you start in and it turns that feature off...
5 year bumper to bumper 10 year 100k drive train warranty.. turbo all wheel drive 34 miles per gallon... I don't even want to know what it looks like under the hood... not my thing, but great for my wife... and safe...
That’s the best thing about a new car. I keep my daily drivers as new as possible with a warranty so I don’t have to fuss with it. The older cars are what we like to enjoy. The wife has the beautiful ‘67 Cúda, I have my junk I thrash on, east to fix, no worries, just enjoy. The new stuff gets sent out under the warranty. Screw it.

Luckily on chryslers the auto shut off is amazingly easy to disable.. on grand cheorkees you just open the battery cover and there is a pink small wire going to the battery, unplug the connector and done... did this on my last few GC's really hate that auto shutoff stuff

I hate the auto stop feature. Rented cars with them and it drove me crazy. I would not buy a car that had that feature where it could not be disabled. I grew up in FL so AC is no big deal for me. There is a preciseness to an older car that is missing in newer vehicles. I always got good mpg, 25+, since I was poor and drove cross country as much as I could. But mpg was a bonus as I built for hp. My wife gets a new car from time to time. They are nice. She has a 2018 Charger R/T with a 5.7 Hemi. Emissions are negligable and even mpg, 30+ @ 75 mph, is amazing for what it is. I will never buy an Electric vehicle. You can also kiss the hydrogen fuel cell good bye, the Obama administration killed that "solution" rather than letting technology and the market decide.

Last edited:
I don't drive all that much, really, anymore, but if I did, I would be looking at a hybrid---something the current crop of gobt seems to be entirely missing, or ignoring.

I predict the new puter chips ( that run what 50 times faster) that will run AI will find a new mixture of gasoline that will stop the darn EV dead in their tracks.

I don't drive all that much, really, anymore, but if I did, I would be looking at a hybrid---something the current crop of gobt seems to be entirely missing, or ignoring.
A buddy of mine just got a grand cherokee hybrid, took it ona road trip a few states away and got around 40mpg avg.. which is WAY better than my normal gas one...

I predict the new puter chips ( that run what 50 times faster) that will run AI will find a new mixture of gasoline that will stop the darn EV dead in their tracks.
i hope not.. i would LOVE a little EV to putt around in the city.. i rarely drive over 20 miles in a day, my only issue is the cost of them.. they should be way less than a gas car but the prices are usually higher.. just too much.. Plus battery tech needs to keep evolving.. one day it will be good though

-
Back