Am I even close?

-

63TOAD

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a 66 Valiant ragtop and am putting itrrn a 360 from Carolina Machine Engines (their almost street build. [email protected] duration480 lift. I will be using an Edelbrock Perfomer intake
with an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. I have a 355 Suregrip and a 904 tranny which I plan on having rebuilt by John Cope. I will be running stock 273 manifolds in a dual TTI exhaust
system. Will the stock rebuild trans a TransGO 2 shift kit with a low stall converter
accomplish my goal of running in the 14's? this is a ragtop and do not want to install any
roll bars as this will be a street car too! Thanks for all comments and questions.

I think 14's will be possible....What type of heads are on it? That motor build with that cam should be around 380 HP with a good set of heads....However, that carb is too small for your application ... I would also not use 273 exhaust manifolds on it.....At the very least a set of 340 Hi-PO manfolds but a set of headers would be better......I think if you fix these two things you will be in the 13's

I want to retain the power steering so 340 manifolds or
headers are out. 13's are out because of the lack of roll bar. Thanks so much for your reply.

I think you'll run high 14's with your setup. It might even be a little quicker with a cam ground for your restrictive exhaust.
Hughes Engines would help recommending a better cam.

There's a couple of manifold shoot outs and there very little hp difference between 318/340/360 and magnum. At the most your giving up 5-10 hp.

Easy with lots of details: Correct timing,learning to tune the carb..(Highly recommend a dual plane intake manifold,work on your 60' foot times,and chassis.And keep a log book ,on every single move you make....(That way ,you don't do the same thing,twice...) A 600 ,or an old Carter Competition series 625,if you trip across one,will get it done...The accelerator pump,is key here:Big cam,minimal gear,mild stall,!means tuning,on your part....Be patient...

Easy with lots of details: Correct timing,learning to tune the carb..(Highly recommend a dual plane intake manifold,work on your 60' foot times,and chassis.And keep a log book ,on every single move you make....(That way ,you don't do the same thing,twice...) A 600 ,or an old Carter Competition series 625,if you trip across one,will get it done...The accelerator pump,is key here:Big cam,minimal gear,mild stall,!means tuning,on your part....Be patient...

Sorry guys, I stand corrected. I have a 600 cfm Edelbrock (1405)
if that helps as several have mentioned too small carb.

Unless you blow the tires up in smoke, it will be a cake walk......... As Abodybomber said, tune and tweak will always get you further down the line. Even if you meet your goal on your 1st run, keep tweaking. There is always more

A car that light will run in the 13s tuned correctly. Run a 360 manifold on the passenger side and port the 273 drivers side as much as possible. Good converter, subframes, drag radial, good shocks, and adjustable snubber will help to get it to hook. You can always run a throttle stop to slow the car down.

You should do 14's no problem, and very likely you could do high 13's.........

Go out and stand on it and let us know!

-
Back