Am I in deep enough

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I bet that got your attention! I'm rebuilding a set of lower control arms and not sure if the pins are set deep enough. Here are some pictures, what do you think?
They are bottomed out on the bushings, I'm not sure they're not deep enough.

Attachments

• GetAttachment 1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 374
  • GetAttachment.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 361
  • GetAttachment2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 341
  • GetAttachment3.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 351
Ah -----------Can your wife answer this???? sorry for your shortness affliction. they make pills for this.

Sorry but I've never had to ask that question. But as far as the LCA pins go, if your bottomed out in the bushing than your good to go.

Looks good.
Just don't forget to put the boots on those pins before you put them in. :)

Thanks guys, I just wasn't sure how far they went in. You can see the end of the pins in the torsion bar socket, they are flush with the back of the bushings.

Any farther and you'll destroy the bushings. Also, no boots on the LCA pins.

If you have to ask, then you prolly aren't.... (that's what she said reference...)

short answer....No.

The Pivot shaft should be pressed INTO the Bushing....and then the Combo - pivot shaft\bushing should be pressed into the LCA.

Not like your picture illustrates....someone pressed the bushing into the LCA and then attempted to press the pivot shaft into the bushing.

No Likey....:pukerigh:

short answer....No.

The Pivot shaft should be pressed INTO the Bushing....and then the Combo - pivot shaft\bushing should be pressed into the LCA.

Not like your picture illustrates....someone pressed the bushing into the LCA and then attempted to press the pivot shaft into the bushing.

No Likey....:pukerigh:

I don't know how you can see what procedure was used after the fact. Pics look fine to me. Maybe you have a better screen. Anyway... so long as the bushing is properly supported, either procedure will work.
No boots on the pins. Don't torque tight the pin until the lower arm is centered in operating position.

It's almost together, I need to get the P/S rebuilt and then do the R/R. I took some measurements and the passengers side is 1/8" behind the drivers side. I hope it won't be much of a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 182
If the bushing is bottomed out in the LCA and the pin bottomed out in the bushing, You've done it right. For more then 40 years I have pressed the bushing then the pin. Worked at a shop in the 70's that did all the repair work for Hillsborough County Sheriffs office. That and all the cars I've worked on since, I would say I've done at least 100 or so using this method.

I moved one of the pics to my hard drive so I could blow it up, get a better look.
The small amount of rubber showing does look a bit distorted. I cant say if that is normal or not. The bushing I'm familiar with don't have any excess rubber to distort at ends. Their rubber and shells are flush.
So... I'm not going to say if its all good or not.

I moved one of the pics to my hard drive so I could blow it up, get a better look.
The small amount of rubber showing does look a bit distorted. I cant say if that is normal or not. The bushing I'm familiar with don't have any excess rubber to distort at ends. Their rubber and shells are flush.
So... I'm not going to say if its all good or not.

Here are some pics, left and right, they used a little grease to get them in. The rubber looks fine to me. Prine, after doing it the other way it makes more sense to do it the way you suggested. I'm on a learning curve...

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Image00002.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Image00003.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 120
Here are some pics, left and right, they used a little grease to get them in. The rubber looks fine to me.

Yes sir that view looks fine. I guess it was only grease I saw in the other end.
Happy moparing

-
Back