AMD discontinuing Mopar parts

-
It seems that once a set of dies is made other than the cost of storage space, there is not much expense to keeping a die set on the shelf. It’s not like someone is going to take a die that stamped out Barracuda panels and change that die into one stamping out Honda parts..
But who knows what drives decisions?
Maybe one of the other stamping suppliers like Sherman will buy them, that is 100% speculation.

Could be. I would suspect they're not getting rid of the dies. My speculation is they're just reducing the amount of stuff they're producing because of the current market. They'll sit on the dies for awhile, if the market changes some of that stuff may be re-issued. Or maybe they'll sell off the dies if the market doesn't improve.

Like you said, just my speculation. The current global trade environment is cutting into profit margins, they're just holding off on the stuff that isn't profitable at the moment.

Looks like they are letting the beancounters make all the business decisions. This happens all the time, and it might help their "bottom line", short-term. Who wants to bet the company goes tits-up in a few years?

I seriously doubt AMD is going anywhere. Mopar stuff is just a small fraction of what they do. I just got a bunch of emails from them about brand new parts they're offering for Ford and GM bodystyles. New stampings of stuff not offered before.

Looks to me like they're just discontinuing stuff that's more expensive/less profitable to produce. Current tariffs on all that stuff can't be helping. Mopars are low production number parts, and the stuff they're discontinuing is either small numbers or still has original parts sources.

Tits up in less than a few years, I say. the first to go are usually the slow sellers, then the ones with least profit, then the one , and onlys.
To bad.
Dave

So they sold all their discontinued parts that fast. Worked in their favor for sure.
You can click on the link, then click on a part it goes to regular prices.

We called because we were putting in are order and prices back to normal. They said they could not keep up so they stop it. It may start back up, but it may not. Got to love these people.

I imagine the remaining stock is poorer quality due to the dies needing rebuilt. The dies being rebuilt are not justifiable due to lack of customer demand. Lack of customer demand is directly related to price. Price is directly related to MOPAR.
Again, General Motors wins the marketplace.

You can click on the link, then click on a part it goes to regular prices.

We called because we were putting in are order and prices back to normal. They said they could not keep up so they stop it. It may start back up, but it may not. Got to love these people.

Yup. This is why I think it’s more about marketing than a true discontinuation of the parts. They’re not scheduling any more production runs of those parts at the moment so they’re gonna call them discontinued.

But I’d wager they’re keeping most of the dies and will make new runs when the market improves. Or they’ve waited long enough to expect the demand will support a new run. And in the meantime they’ll sell their current stock on speculation of a true discontinuation.

IF the tooling is there, why not keep stamping them on demand? Or is AMD just a middle man?

I bet the stuff that is on sale, is the stuff they will not be making any more. Beside the 67 69 Barracuda rear quarter panels. I think they just did a run and have a lot of them in stock.
I know for sure that I was told from AMD is 63 to 65 B body stuff is all done, 70 71 Duster rear quarters done, and 73 and Duster fenders done (but the fenders he said they have a lot of them).
There are not making anything new beside what already in the works and I believe that is 66 67 B Body stuff. They are done with anything new for mopar so no 67 to 69 Barracuda fenders
For sure about the 67-69 fenders. I offered them mine last year in an email I sent. Not even a courtesy no thank, F##k you or piss off !

I asked the reps a couple years ago at the Nats if they were going to get into the early A stuff. They chuckled and said no.

On the 67-76 A body stuff I noticed the single exhaust valance pan for 67-69 bv barracuda as discontinued. I venture a bet that everybody puts the dual exhaust one on.

Was surprised at the 67-69 barracuda inner fender splash shields being discontinued. And the A body center shock crossmember being discontinued.

Actually I see not very much there that I could use. Lots of it is early, and lots more is Dart Sport/ Duster stuff
The AC/ not AC firewalls should be a hit

IF the tooling is there, why not keep stamping them on demand? Or is AMD just a middle man?

Because the tooling needs to be kept up and they probably buy the metal and e-coating stuff for large runs. Same for importing it. They also have to keep the tooling line on the floor etc. Stamping on demand would cost a ton more, and if they waited long enough to have the demand for a decent sized run then they’d be having people pull their names and not want to wait that long.

Somebody already said it, they want to do a run of thousands to reduce costs, not even hundreds. On demand would be even worse.

Actually I see not very much there that I could use. Lots of it is early, and lots more is Dart Sport/ Duster stuff
The AC/ not AC firewalls should be a hit

Yeah I’m surprised about the firewalls. The other stuff , besides the Barracuda parts, comes down to year model or option changes like the non-cutout valances. Can still get dual cutout valances, still get fenders but you’ll have to change the markers, have to use full quarters instead of skins and maybe change the markers. That sort of thing.

maybe the firewalls don’t get used as much. If the whole firewall is that bad most people would part it anyway. If it’s just an AC to non conversion it’s mostly flat sheet, no need for a full panel.

To be honest, they hung on about 8 years longer than I figured that they would. That said, you can blame:
The selection. How many '66 A-body ashtrays were needed in the marketplace?
The Chinese. Tariffs, and now disease, are hurting AMD immensely.
The market. Already discussed elsewhere.
Fiat royalties. Probably ain't helping.

I doubt that this stuff will be gone forever. It's not like the dies shriveled up and blew away. And I doubt they sold enough to wear out the dies. If the market will support it, they can bring it back unless they crushed the dies. And the Chinese are very good about taking things like leftover dies and selling through other venues. I can see "AMB" reproduction panels coming out soon enough.

I just turned 42, and I have one nice car, and two projects. When those projects are done, I'm never taking on a project that needs body panels redone. My two current projects (67 Fastback Barracuda, and a 55 Plymouth Belvedere) got sheetmetal donors pieces from parts cars. These two arent getting high dollar paint - i just dont care about that stuff anymore. They will be ugly but mechanically new. I wonder if AMD is seeing that people taking on large projects that need $$$$$'s of panels are dwindling?

My guess is the dies are wore out, and there is more money in selling cowl hoods for Chevys, than the entire Mopar line.

Or they are moving their line to another supplier in another country.

I am glad I bought all the sheetmetal I needed from them for my two E-body projects a year or so ago, so I am in good shape for a few years.

How many restoreable car and restoreable basket cases are left? How many 20-30 somethings are jumping in to one?
Business is supply, demand, cost and profit. If a die for a 65 A body costs $16000 to develop and build ( total guess, likely too low ) you'd have to sell over 40 firewalls at $400.- to make a profit. There aren't that many folks putting in firewalls. GM will always be cheaper because they sold more - more customers.

this opened the door for people to buy up all the A bodies they can handle, cut em up for parts and still make money in the process.

I scored my rear valance last week before they were gone...

thumbnail_20200221_153012.jpg

Jeff

Glad I got what I needed for both cars. Also theres probably lots of these parts left in stock on Ebay, Tamraz, year one, classic industries and others.

Last edited:
-
Back