AMD's response to discontinuing some MoPar product

-

A56

MoPar Affliction
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Many questioned if AMD was getting out of the Mopar game to focus more on their Ford and Chevrolet customers. We decided to reach out to Mike Gray from AMD and ask him about it directly in which he graciously explained everything.

Mike says, “We are expanding like the many in the industry. We just moved into our new 318,000 sq. ft. facility in Gainesville, GA to help us handle our additional growth plans. The items we are dropping are purely a business decision based on the fact that we are forced to run larger numbers of parts in each production run and many of these (very) slow moving parts were getting near the point of being re-run. We decided not to run them because the quantities would be giving us 3-10 years of stock on these items.”

“We are still developing hundreds of new tools and decided it made more sense to invest in the new items instead of items that we know from history will sit on the shelves for years. We are not destroying our tools and if the situation changes and demand increases, we can always run them again in the future. While we have expanded our Ford and GM lines recently, we are not giving up on Mopar and will be introducing new panels for 1966-1967 Plymouth B-Bodies and 1973-1974 Chargers in the near future. We are test fitting prototypes now.”

In closing, he said, “Please be assured AMD is not giving up on the old car market, just dropping unprofitable parts.” In essence, we do agree that the move is smart with discontinuing slow selling and doubled items. For example, they are discontinuing Challenger Rallye hoods with hood pin holes but not discontinuing the Rallye hoods in their entirety.

Apparently there’s more profit and money in B and E parts, which we’ve known that to be true for years.

So in other words.."screw us A-body guys/gals" once AGAIN!!..like I always say "A-bodies rule!!!

good on them for making hard business decisions if some body wants to purchase several of a particular item being put on hold and inventory it I'm sure they would be more than happy to obligate

LMAO

View attachment 1715482994

OIP.jpg

Thanks for the update A56 You sometimes need to make tough business decisions to remain profitable. No reason to warehouse slow moving parts for 10 years before all are sold. Any profit you could make would be eaten up in expenses to store them for that long.

Thanks for the update A56 You sometimes need to make tough business decisions to remain profitable. No reason to warehouse slow moving parts for 10 years before all are sold. Any profit you could make would be eaten up in expenses to store them for that long.
Common sense thinking for sure.

I'm in the Auto industry and do understand how this works. We have been in business many years and have a staggering amount of part numbers. Managing this is difficult at best. Having parts sitting in inventory is money spent so turnover is priority. With time value of money rolled in, it doesn't make good business sense. Companies are in business to make money and will focus on product that meets that goal. 65'

I'm in the Auto industry and do understand how this works. We have been in business many years and have a staggering amount of part numbers. Managing this is difficult at best. Having parts sitting in inventory is money spent so turnover is priority. With time value of money rolled in, it doesn't make good business sense. Companies are in business to make money and will focus on product that meets that goal. 65'
Like I always say, everybody should be in business for themselves once. Then they would understand.

I told you so! Get em while you can. Those Duster grilles will also be finished shortly. I didn't buy one because I needed one right now I have two sitting behind me. I was told just like I am telling you again. Get em while you can.

The future for these new parts is farther off then you are lead to believe. If we empty the so called small ware house of a body parts . They will have to restock or loose the a-body parts for a long time which they already have the dies for. If guys start junking the cars because the parts are not available it will only destroy their reason to restock. Its like cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Get what you are going to need and buy it now so you have the parts when you can afford to do the car. My next move is some Dash kits from PG classic. 4 piston caliper housings. Door panels from legendary. The things your local shops can't supply or you cannot make or find used . Will I use these parts before I die? Probably not but my son and grandchildren will. I still have these and I bought a new one. Always wanted to compare them anyway. I'll post some pics of differences when the parts come in.

spoiler pics 777.jpg

I worked for Harley in many capacities( lot rat, go fer, service writer, service manager and finally Parts manager . The amount of screws, seals, gaskets etc are staggering. You only have so much space to stock these items for new as well as discontinued Harleys.

Simply put people with less expensive cars have less money to spend, people with expensive cars have more money to spend...

Many questioned if AMD was getting out of the Mopar game to focus more on their Ford and Chevrolet customers. We decided to reach out to Mike Gray from AMD and ask him about it directly in which he graciously explained everything.

Mike says, “We are expanding like the many in the industry. We just moved into our new 318,000 sq. ft. facility in Gainesville, GA to help us handle our additional growth plans. The items we are dropping are purely a business decision based on the fact that we are forced to run larger numbers of parts in each production run and many of these (very) slow moving parts were getting near the point of being re-run. We decided not to run them because the quantities would be giving us 3-10 years of stock on these items.”

“We are still developing hundreds of new tools and decided it made more sense to invest in the new items instead of items that we know from history will sit on the shelves for years. We are not destroying our tools and if the situation changes and demand increases, we can always run them again in the future. While we have expanded our Ford and GM lines recently, we are not giving up on Mopar and will be introducing new panels for 1966-1967 Plymouth B-Bodies and 1973-1974 Chargers in the near future. We are test fitting prototypes now.”

In closing, he said, “Please be assured AMD is not giving up on the old car market, just dropping unprofitable parts.” In essence, we do agree that the move is smart with discontinuing slow selling and doubled items. For example, they are discontinuing Challenger Rallye hoods with hood pin holes but not discontinuing the Rallye hoods in their entirety.
Thanks for posting this.
It answers a lot of questions that some of us were wondering about.

In a way, I don't blame them for discontinuing certain parts that they don't sell a lot of to warrant the space it takes up in a warehouse, labor to produce them, etc.
On the other hand, why not just do shorter runs of the product to keep up with the eventual demands?
Also, I don't buy the fact that discontinuing '70 and '71 Duster/Demon quarter panels is a great idea as well as totally discontinuing the '67 to '69 Barracuda quarters all together is wise.

However, they do have the statistics on what really sells and the volume of product going out the door, not us.
It is a business after all, and they have shareholders to answer to.

We aren't the only ones affected by the discontinuations, the '63 to '65 B-Body guys are hit hard and the '62 to '65 Chev Impala guys are hit hard as well.

I suppose we'll all have to endure, just like we did in the '90s, we had a good run with them making the AMD sheet metal parts available in the first place.
Just think of all the cars that have been saved because of them up to now.........

Last edited:
we're getting old not that many fools coming up that want to mess with these I was offered two 72 Corvettes at a very low price that could easily make one good car with not much expense and have lots of parts left to sell off I walked away from them along with several other people

Perhaps somebody such as Goodmark will purchase the dies. Then they just have to move them across the street in Beijing and start their own production run!

Simply put people with less expensive cars have less money to spend, people with expensive cars have more money to spend...
Not always true,J. I have a '70 Challenger. I'm by no means rich. But, put together as I can. But, I can assure you I like seeing all the cars saved.

I got to say my favorite answer to this question was it's the coronavirus LOL..
People will spread paranoia like wildfire I swear to goodness... Not trying to minimize the threat of such a terrible thing but for goodness sakes....

Thanks for posting this.
It answers a lot of questions that some of us were wondering about.

In a way, I don't blame them for discontinuing certain parts that they don't sell a lot of to warrant the space it takes up in a warehouse, labor to produce them, etc.
On the other hand, why not just do shorter runs of the product to keep up with the eventual demands?
Also, I don't buy the fact that discontinuing '70 and '71 Duster/Demon quarter panels is a great idea as well as totally discontinuing the '67 to '69 Barracuda quarters all together is wise.

However, they do have the statistics on what really sells and the volume of product going out the door, not us.
It is a business after all, and they have shareholders to answer to.

We aren't the only ones affected by the discontinuations, the '63 to '65 B-Body guys are hit hard and the '62 to '65 Chev Impala guys are hit hard as well.

I suppose we'll all have to endure, just like we did in the '90s, we had a good run with them making the AMD sheet metal parts available in the first place.
Just think of all the cars that have been saved because of them up to now.........
I've seen this explain before and that's a simple answer they can't do just short runs. Let's just say that a normal run is 100 fenders and they have to sell 60 fenders to just pay for setting up the tooling the labor the metal the boxing them up to getting them over to storage I mean all of the logistics to make it happen. Now let's say they set that all up to do like you said it short run a 40... They've already lost money....

Not always true,J. I have a '70 Challenger. I'm by no means rich. But, put together as I can. But, I can assure you I like seeing all the cars saved.
Well I seen this one coming from about the minute I open my mouth. I could have a more expensive car as well. That wasn't the point. It's in general. I would say about 80% of the abody owners have the budget to buy a relatively inexpensive car and fix it up over time. For a lot of people it's hard to buy a junker for the price of a fixed up painted a body and then start buying expensive parts for it and then pay double that to have it painted... Simple economics... Again the comment was in general..

Even like humans for some to be saved some have to die...

I've seen this explain before and that's a simple answer they can't do just short runs. Let's just say that a normal run is 100 fenders and they have to sell 60 fenders to just pay for setting up the tooling the labor the metal the boxing them up to getting them over to storage I mean all of the logistics to make it happen. Now let's say they set that all up to do like you said it short run a 40... They've already lost money....
I must put ourselves in their shoes if it takes 10 years to sell a run of 100, for the first 6 years we're just trying to get our money back in the last 4 years were finally making a trickle of profit on this one product that we've stored for 10 years and we have Nova fenders flying off the shelf faster than we can make them... Now imagine this money coming and going off of your dinner table...

So in other words.."screw us A-body guys/gals" once AGAIN!!..like I always say "A-bodies rule!!!

How many AMD parts have you purchased?

I worked for Harley in many capacities( lot rat, go fer, service writer, service manager and finally Parts manager . The amount of screws, seals, gaskets etc are staggering. You only have so much space to stock these items for new as well as discontinued Harleys.

You worked for Harley, with Harley signing your checks, and did service department stuff? Tell me more!

Well I seen this one coming from about the minute I open my mouth. I could have a more expensive car as well. That wasn't the point. It's in general. I would say about 80% of the abody owners have the budget to buy a relatively inexpensive car and fix it up over time. For a lot of people it's hard to buy a junker for the price of a fixed up painted a body and then start buying expensive parts for it and then pay double that to have it painted... Simple economics... Again the comment was in general..
True beyond words, I was fortunate enough to buy my car 10 years ago at a reasonable price. Retired now and plans are to get the integrity of this car to where I can enjoy it like I did my original one. Just ordered needed parts from AMD and we'll see it come together soon. Just like the Kinks song "I'm on a low budget".

In general, A bodies have always been the economy car, low priced. Still true today, unless you have a BB car. Just the economic reality of it all.
Usually the more successful person in life, with the most money, they buy the top cars those that represent success. Those cost way more $$. Just life.
The guy with fewer dollars, he tend to buy a dream. That is a project. His finances are limited. He knows it will be along haul, and buying repop sheetmetal usually in sometime down the road maybe.
The average A body guy has actually comes along ways in the last few decade I remember when a real 340 Duster was NOT good property. Yes really.

I think I heard that they sold more mustangs in 65 than all ten years of Barracudas. When you think about that, the reality of the situation is pretty obvious.

-
Back