Not open for further replies.

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
10an flat cut o ring to 8an flare ..10an flat cut o ring to 8an flare 90 deg...8an female flare to 1/2 hose swivel ...8an flat cut o ring to 8an flare...8an flat cut o ring plug. I hope this can be understood as I not familiar with this lingo. any questions please ask

Hey Jimmy JFYI what your calling a flat cut O-ring is also known as a boss O-ring. In fact that's all I've ever heard them called, but I have been out of the hydraulic business for a few yrs.

BTW: some of those fittings you need are some odd ducks. What are you working on?

I order all my an fittings from Sonny at Performance Dynamic Speed Shop. You will not find a better price anywhere.

Free shipping on all orders too. Don't go off his website, call him and he will help you. He has always found the parts I need even when they are not listed for sale anywhere.

http://www.performancedynamicsspeedshop.com/servlet/StoreFront

You do realize? that aside from the fancy aluminum and anodized fittings, AN is the same as what is called JIC which is the most common in hydraulics in trucks, farming, general industrial.

Also, depending on the way the fitting is manufactured. many times a straight JIC (flare) can be usee as O ring boss in a pinch, just saw the flare end off to leave the threads if necessary, and put the proper sized O ring on the thing.

You did fine with the lingo

JIC X O ring boss

41d-XQCk97L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

JIC (flare) X O ring boss 90 elbow

515FIpATcGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hey Jimmy JFYI what your calling a flat cut O-ring is also known as a boss O-ring. In fact that's all I've ever heard them called, but I have been out of the hydraulic business for a few yrs.

BTW: some of those fittings you need are some odd ducks. What are you working on?
I am hooking up a walbro 392 electric pump and a aeromotive 13202 bypass regulator it had a dead head system on it before but it did not last long

I order all my an fittings from Sonny at Performance Dynamic Speed Shop. You will not find a better price anywhere.

Free shipping on all orders too. Don't go off his website, call him and he will help you. He has always found the parts I need even when they are not listed for sale anywhere.

http://www.performancedynamicsspeedshop.com/servlet/StoreFront
thanks for the tip Louis I will put that link in my favorites .

You do realize? that aside from the fancy aluminum and anodized fittings, AN is the same as what is called JIC which is the most common in hydraulics in trucks, farming, general industrial.

Also, depending on the way the fitting is manufactured. many times a straight JIC (flare) can be usee as O ring boss in a pinch, just saw the flare end off to leave the threads if necessary, and put the proper sized O ring on the thing.

You did fine with the lingo

JIC X O ring boss

41d-XQCk97L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

JIC (flare) X O ring boss 90 elbow

515FIpATcGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
thanks I thought these just look like hydraulic fittings but someone told me the thread pitch was different or something I can get these here to use for now but they wont be the pretty blue expensive ones thanks again.

The difference is not between JIC and AN. the difference is between JIC / AN and SAE which is mostly common brass fittings.

Most sizes except no6 (different size) and no12 (different thread) will "screw together" between JIC/ AN and the SAE

The difference is that SAE have a 45 degree flare angle, and AN/ JIC has a 37 1/2 degree flare angle.

IN SOME CASES you can interchange them, but you may have sealing problems. Also, interchanging fittings might damage one or both fittings, so that "next time" if you screw one fitting into it's proper mate, you will still have sealing problems as one is now damaged from the improper flare angle.

(Say you have a hydraulic hose on a tractor, log skidder, etc, and the parts place makes you a new one, but they put no8 SAE ends on instead of the no8 JIC which came off. You put the hose on, tighten the 'ell out of it, and it works. Maybe NEXT time that hose blows, you end up with the proper JIC. But now the mating adapter has been damaged, and the thing LEAKS)

GENERALLY brass is SAE

Steel or alloy is generally JIC / AN

On the older cars, anything flare such as transmission coolers would have been SAE regardless that it is steel. Some power steering (might be proprieatary) if it's flare, will be SAE

Older commercial refrigeration fittings would have been all SAE

If you hold a 37 and a 45 degree male flare side by side you can easily see the difference

(The trick by the way is getting a sales person who actually knows fittings. I went into O'Reallys the other day wanting "Two 5/16 SAE flare caps" and I could tell by the stare-into-space look that he had no idea. Even when back at the Weatherhead/ Imperial / Edelman brass cabinet, he was no help. HERE's the THING about automotive/ hardware store brass................ The common brand name brass cabinets are all COLOR CODED!!! "All the green drawers" are SAE)

And by the way nearly none of the auto stores will have any AN/ JIC unless they stock some "speed shop" stuff or make hydraulic hoses.

The difference is not between JIC and AN. the difference is between JIC / AN and SAE which is mostly common brass fittings.

Most sizes except no6 (different size) and no12 (different thread) will "screw together" between JIC/ AN and the SAE

The difference is that SAE have a 45 degree flare angle, and AN/ JIC has a 37 1/2 degree flare angle.

IN SOME CASES you can interchange them, but you may have sealing problems. Also, interchanging fittings might damage one or both fittings, so that "next time" if you screw one fitting into it's proper mate, you will still have sealing problems as one is now damaged from the improper flare angle.

(Say you have a hydraulic hose on a tractor, log skidder, etc, and the parts place makes you a new one, but they put no8 SAE ends on instead of the no8 JIC which came off. You put the hose on, tighten the 'ell out of it, and it works. Maybe NEXT time that hose blows, you end up with the proper JIC. But now the mating adapter has been damaged, and the thing LEAKS)

GENERALLY brass is SAE

On the older cars, anything flare such as transmission coolers would have been SAE regardless that it is steel. Some power steering (might be proprieatary) if it's flare, will be SAE

If you hold a 37 and a 45 degree male flare side by side you can easily see the difference

(The trick by the way is getting a sales person who actually knows fittings. I went into O'Reallys the other day wanting "Two 5/16 SAE flare caps" and I could tell by the stare-into-space look that he had no idea. Even when back at the Weatherhead/ Imperial / Edelman brass cabinet, he was no help. HERE's the THING about automotive/ hardware store brass................ The common brand name brass cabinets are all COLOR CODED!!! "All the green drawers" are SAE)

And by the way nearly none of the auto stores will have any AN/ JIC unless they stock some "speed shop" stuff or make hydraulic hoses.
I have a whole box of jic fittings in my boat for spares there are lots of places here that sell jic fittings with all the fishing and farming done here . I will take a run to the hydro shop tomorrow and see what I find. thanks again

I was at the hydro shop today an got all these fittings in stainless steel for around 23.00 bucks . I am quite pleased with the look also thanks 67 dart 273

GENERALLY brass is SAE

Great explanation and tips Del

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back