And........... Again!!!!!!!!!! Help

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, i have spotted a numbers matching 340-4 speed duster. b-5 blue with blue interior. dash is nice, door panels and seats are perfect. all interior is great, minus a carpet. needs driver floorpan, trunkpan, quarters. it comes with new skins, floorpan, and trunk pan. all other seems real solid. has fender tag, but have not checked for build sheet.
it runs and drives, but smokes, leading me to think that from sitting so long, it has a broken ring. everything is ther for it to be a totally correct car.
doors are nice, fender has litte rash at the bottoms.

i know pics say it all, but also, i know pics make them look better than they really are, so i will with-hold them for now.

should this be my next project?, even though i hate the 73+. i was thinking of putting a 70-71 front end and a tail panel in it.....???

I would think changing the sheet metal on both ends would kill what value the car has being a numbers matching 340 car. I like the 73-74 Duster grill personally.

hey mull. this does not have the beak, like a dart sport, but none-the less, i still hate the baby beak.lmao

A numbers matching car should remain the way it was built if the correct parts are there..chrysler car builder for 20 years...sd340...jmho

I think the 73 -76 340 and 360 cars were unwanted cars about 10 yrs ago,but as the 340,360 factory cars are getting harder to come by.I think people are picking them up more than ever now.JMO:thumrigh:

The "Beak" has actually kind of grown on me.

Wait a minute...Did I say that right ? :---)

Attachments

• Picture 030.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 129
I think leave it the way it is or pass it on.
Plot, you're having too much of a good time passing these cars on to worry about it!
Find something you really want to keep and then go for it.
Until then, why bother changing the front end and the tail panel?
It will only devalue the car.
A lot of people like the '73 and up cars (i'm one of them) even though the're not worth much right now.
Hey, do what you want, but unless i miss my guess, it will be up for sale within a week.
Good luck with the sale,
Tom.

I personally prefer the the 73/74 Valiant/Duster nose to the earlier ones although the earlier tail panel is cleaner looking so it's tradeoff either way.

I think it would hurt the value more than help it when you go to sell it and the nose and tail were switched to the earlier style.

340 4-speed cars are getting rare in any year and the 73 Duster prices are'nt far behind the earlier cars.

numbers matching cars are hard to find. If you do pick it up keep it ugly (73+)

with you on the 70-72 look. way nicer. The 73+ look good on a 4 door valiant, so grandma can get to bingo. not a duster.

Nice looking Swinger, yeah, i always liked the ''beak'' front end!

Thanks,
But I never liked it, untill I got this car. And like I said it has kind of grown on me. Still dont understand why they went to the beak though.

And to 340plot,
I guess because I live in Cal the cars are much dryer. Some of the cars people take on back East scare the crap out of me. That car sounds like alot of work. My object is usually to find the cleanest car possible, regardless of what it is, and turn it into a keeper. :thumrigh:

well, i did not plan on selling it...............................right away.lol
i was buying it to redo the car, tear it apart, and build it back up as a real clean driver or better, then sell it!

judging by your post being directed at the car being numbers matching 340.........I would not go swapping out sheet metal off an earlier year.

it will just knock down the value and will cost you more money to do said mods.

now ....this may not hold true depending on what you can get the car for?

if you can get the car for $500.00 and you are building it for yourself (which who are we kidding....I think we all know you will sell it sooner or later lol COUGH COUGH sooner lol) then who cares.

but if you have to invest a decent amount from the get go into the car just to invest even more into the sheet metal to swap it....not to mention the man hours involved in the resto.....and by the time the cars value drops because of the missmatched parts.....you might only end up breaking close to even.

I personally am not a big fan of the a-bodies from 73 onward....I don't like the direction they went with the grilles,hoods,tail panels and tail lights,bumpers and plastic interior panels and so on.

not saying I don't like them....I just prefer the 72 and earlier a-bodies.

My duster is a 72 which is a one year only tail light car.....which would make it a little more of a sought after car to some people.....however it was just a 318 car with a drab tan color scheme and was nothing to special so I was not worried about originality and I built it my way ( and I personally went with a 69 valiant grille in my duster.....a way to be a little different from the rest of the pack and its made of METAL ...not plastic).

I say IF you do get it......build it back to what it would have been factory and either enjoy it or sell it and make a buck or two.....OR if you are looking to build a car you WANT .....hold out because with as often as you find deals I am sure you will run across something more along the lines of what you have in mind.

either way, good luck on it!

-
Back