Annoyed Rant....Good Guys age limit

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Good Guys is in town. I would like to take the Dart. They stop at 1972.
WTF. You would think that a group of car guys, probably the largest conglomorate would see the need for a "continuation of body style" exception. GRRR.

There is also a local old school car show, that shows during the day, and a small town cruise at night. I can cruise, but I can't enter the show....

Signed:

Bummed Out.

It does suck, but if I was in charge I would stop it a 1972 also. There was some nice machines after 72 but nothing that was factory muscle. They all went downhill after 72

Perhaps I just don't get it. I see buckets, and all kinds of other stuff in there that is old school stove bolt straight 6 with 1 bbl carbs, and they are ok to enter but mine is not.
I understand that there is a need for some type of cut to keep Tommy Teenager from entering his 1982 Citation. However my '76 is nearly identical in shape to a Demon or Duster that is ok to go. So what if the grille and bumper are different, it is the SAME car. If it is all about horsepower, then would a blown Hemi get me in, cause it would have much more HP them most of what is in attendance.

I here you but like you say they have to draw the line some where. Just tell them it is a 71. They wont know the difference.

Just say it's a 72, and drive it in. It's done all the time.

I felt the same with the street rods because the cut off is 48 and my 51 Plymouth coupe was not a lead sled with 3 windows but it is the rule. I have since sold that and am building a 41 to be able to get in.

I saw a '75 duster and a '73 RR at good guys, both said '72 in the window sticker.

NSRA is moving all their shows to a rolling 30 year cut off. i bet Good Guys will change soon. Dont forget some Good Guys events are 64 and older and others are all american made cars.

Goodguys has to have strict rules for their shows, otherwise it will turn into another hot import night show. unfortunately you are right on the cut off of what is acceptable to their by laws. What really sucks is when you are involved in their club and sell your older car and can't get into their show.
We have a kind of similar situation with our club's cruise nights. While we don't have year restictions for people showing their cars, some of members still complain about "newer cars" being in the show. At our meetings we will try to figure out how to get more people to come to the shows and I am always the first one to say "stop complaining when someone drives in with a 77 trans am or Prowler and maybe they will return the next week". It is all a balance.

Thanks for the input guys.
I acknowlege the need for a cut, but I believe there should be a "body style continuance rule" What differentiates a 72 Duster from a 73 Duster? VERY LITTLE. At some point a little logic that my car is a Demon with a different name and bumper, should prevail. I can understand non car guys who don't have a clue, but this is "Good Guys", this should be able to figure this out.

Oh well.

Yeah, and though they may have gone "downhill" after 72, I THINK that a '73 340 car and a '74 360 Sport would qualify for factory muscle...you think?

......and "factory" or "stock" would be a separate classification in a well administrated show........Surely 73 and 74's with the basic mods that we like to do ARE muscle cars..........purist bondages aside, that is.

My bad...........not sorry though. :toothy10:

what about my '77 aspen? I bet I could call it a moded demon and no one would know the diff....

It does suck, but if I was in charge I would stop it a 1972 also. There was some nice machines after 72 but nothing that was factory muscle. They all went downhill after 72
I don,t consider a factory 1973 340 4 speed car downhill?My 2 cents

July 2007 018.jpg

Old Town in Kissimmee, Fl, (just outside Walt Disney world) has a car show every Friday and Saturday night. On Friday night the cut off was 1972.
When asked what year my car was I told them a 73 and I was asked to leave.

I pulled outside and simply took my 1973 plate off the front and put the 1970 plate off my buddies car on. I waited till the guy that turned me down was busy with somebody else and my buddy and me switched cars.....
No problemo!

PettyBlueDart....I know what you mean.

I acknowlege the need for a cut, but I believe there should be a "body style continuance rule" What differentiates a 72 Duster from a 73 Duster? VERY LITTLE. At some point a little logic that my car is a Demon with a different name and bumper, should prevail. I can understand non car guys who don't have a clue, but this is "Good Guys", this should be able to figure this out.

Oh well.
So join the Good Guys club and petition to change the rules to allow body continuation. Problem solved.
Frank:read2:

So join the Good Guys club and petition to change the rules to allow body continuation. Problem solved.
Frank:read2:

I emailed the president and some others, politely expressing my opinion.
I have to presume they have heard it before.
I am not inclined to pay to join something that I cannot participate in. I am merely wanting to attend a car show...

It's not the end of the world, I just would like to have been able to enter the car in a show this weekend.

Or you could go over to the Greaserama show at the Boulevard theater and have a much better time at a show where people don't put on heirs and treat everyone cool!! Your car doesn't meet their requirements either, but it's a much cooler show and a lot less pretentious. I had a great time last year.

http://www.greaserama.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=55

I plan on doing just that.
You going again this year?
I will be in my 1976 Dart Lite. Brown, with white striping.

I emailed the president and some others, politely expressing my opinion.
I have to presume they have heard it before.
I am not inclined to pay to join something that I cannot participate in. I am merely wanting to attend a car show...

It's not the end of the world, I just would like to have been able to enter the car in a show this weekend.

Mine is a 73 and just appealing and has horsepower just like the earlier cars...

5.JPG

Oh well.

The problem with a "body style continuance rule" is cars like the Corvette that were basically the same from '68 - '82 would throw everything off. If people are complaining now because they can't bring in their '73, how are you going to explain that this other guy can show his '82 ...imagine the fights that would start over that.

The problem with a "body style continuance rule" is cars like the Corvette that were basically the same from '68 - '82 would throw everything off. If people are complaining now because they can't bring in their '73, how are you going to explain that this other guy can show his '82 ...imagine the fights that would start over that.

Then let him bring his 82. 83, or more specifically 84 would be out, as it would obviously be a new body style.

While the Corvette is the biggest exception, most of the rest of the lines are pretty clear. An A body is obviously an A body.

It appears that the rule is not terribly enforced. Either way, they will not get my attendence fee or entry fee. I will skip it, stay at home and work on my cars. 8)

-
Back