Another dumb question.. Bronze drive gear

-

iw378

Reaction score
When using a roller cam on a la 360 do I have to use a bronze oil pump driveshaft ??

If the cam has a steel gear, use a bronze or plastic distributor gear.

Some steel cams have pressed on cast iron gears and some roller cams are all cast iron. So you need to know what you have.

I didn't on my 408. I used the Mopar performance steel one. I think part number P3690715 which has hardened tip and pinned drive gear.

shaft doesnt matter, its the gear...billet steel rollers usually require a bronze gear pinned to steel shaft. Iron to Iron on a regular or iron geared roller

As already mentioned, it depends on the gear on the cam. Crane makes a coated steel gear that is designed to run on a steel geared camshaft. From my understanding they have been making them for other makes for years. I went with the bronze gear on my build, not enough people running the Crane gear in Mopars for me to try it.

Comp cams site shows a bronze gear is needed. I don't have a shaft to look at right now. the oem gear is pressed on ?

Whichever gear you pick if you do this.......... they will all last longer!!!

treblig

Attachments

• 527016_525889790815731_1236393259_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 178
If you run a HV or HP oil pump, it is recommended to use the stronger gear available from MP with a larger diameter shaft....

-
Back