Another Fender Tag Question From a Newbie

-

Hopeto

Reaction score
With help from 65dartcharger and this forum along with searching all the links provided I could find I've been able to decode just about every item on the fender tag except:
Top Row under #7 is a 6. ???
2nd Row under the W is a 4. ???
The car is a 1965 Barracuda Formula S 4 Speed with Power Brakes, Power Steering (could one of these codes denote the power steering?), Heater w Defroster, Economy AM Radio, Back-up Lights, Black Bucket Seat w Console Interior.
The color is Silver Metallic Poly with the factory Black Racing Stripe.
I've included a picture of the Fender Tag along with a picture of the console.
Doesn't seem like much of a console but am I assuming it is correct for a 65? The boot plate in the picture was just laying in the car and obviously isn't correct for the car.
So far everything on the car has been original and complete.
BTW, We were able to get the engine up and running. The car had been stored indoors for over 30 years. Brakes are next.
BTW, that's an 8 and a 3 under the T and V in case you can't make it out.
Feel free to let me know if I've misinterpreted any items or if you know what those 2 items above reference.

65cudafendertag.jpg

65cuda4speed.jpg

Last edited:
Let's see if this works. It's a link to the you tube video. This is after lots and lots of work along with running a quart of transmission fluid through the carb while forcing it to stay running. Fogged the neighborhood. It had been running about 20 minutes to clear out before I shot this. I had installed a new fuel pump and was feeding it with a rubber hose to a 2 gallon gas can. DON"T try this at home kids. I did have the fire extinguisher right beside me. I also converted the stock dual point to a Petronix.

Last edited:
That 4 speed bezel plate is correct and is a 65 only item when equipped with the 4 speed. I’m not near my reference material to see if I have the info on the codes you asked about.

W4 is possibly "hubcaps with trim rings" I found that once. The 7-6 is not listed anywhere. My Galen book lists the 7 group as "vehicle sales and delivery" which contains special instructions like "buffed paint", "new car service with gas" and the like. No notation for the #6 though.

Let's see if this works. It's a link to the you tube video. This is after lots and lots of work along with running a quart of transmission fluid through the carb while forcing it to stay running. Fogged the neighborhood. It had been running about 20 minutes to clear out before I shot this. I had installed a new fuel pump and was feeding it with a rubber hose to a 2 gallon gas can. DON"T try this at home kids. I did have the fire extinguisher right beside me. I also converted the stock dual point to a Petronix.

That sounds real good. The ATF trick works with old engines.

A build sheet would be a cool find. Have you had the rear seat out yet? They are often under the springs on the seat bottom. In Barracudas they might be behind the bucket seat backs or above the glove box liner also.

A build sheet would be a cool find. Have you had the rear seat out yet? They are often under the springs on the seat bottom. In Barracudas they might be behind the bucket seat backs or above the glove box liner also.
Took the rear seat bottom out - not there.
Used a mirror to check under the fronts - not there.
Removed the front seat backs - not there.
Checked all around the glove box - not there.
Haven't pulled the carpet out. Might be a while before I get to that.
Not sure where else to look.

On my 65 Barracuda I found the build sheet under the carpet below the heater box. Mine is a Silver with black stripe Commando 4 speed car.

check over the headliner too!
Your car is a twin of mine, built 3 days earlier but mine was an auto with only these exceptions
My 7 had a 2 under it = "sold car"?
mine was 312551, the D/5 being an Automatic (your D/3 was 4sp)
I had an X/8 retracting belt front and rear but nothing under X could have been standard seat belts too. body trim and paint were the same too, but mine was actually copper poly (HH1) color. maybe a repaint.

W4 is possibly "hubcaps with trim rings" I found that once. The 7-6 is not listed anywhere. My Galen book lists the 7 group as "vehicle sales and delivery" which contains special instructions like "buffed paint", "new car service with gas" and the like. No notation for the #6 though.
I just received a Galen production option code book the other day that I bought to help research my cars. If I'm reading it correctly the 7 digit for 65 is vehicle sales and delivery mapped to sales codes 650 to 659. If I then look at the sales codes for 65 code 656 (is that how I would map the '6' in digit 7?) states SHOW CAR FINISH "B".
By this same logic, code 9 for digit 3 is mapped to sales code 530 to 539 and 539 states 3-SPEED/VARIABLE WINDSHIELD WIPERS/WASHERS.
The book states that digits 1 and 2 map to sales codes 510 to 529, so I guess your 1 would map to 511 which states MIRROR - OUTSIDE LEFTY MANUAL CHROME.
Does that sound right?

I just received a Galen production option code book the other day that I bought to help research my cars. If I'm reading it correctly the 7 digit for 65 is vehicle sales and delivery mapped to sales codes 650 to 659. If I then look at the sales codes for 65 code 656 (is that how I would map the '6' in digit 7?) states SHOW CAR FINISH "B".
By this same logic, code 9 for digit 3 is mapped to sales code 530 to 539 and 539 states 3-SPEED/VARIABLE WINDSHIELD WIPERS/WASHERS.
The book states that digits 1 and 2 map to sales codes 510 to 529, so I guess your 1 would map to 511 which states MIRROR - OUTSIDE LEFTY MANUAL CHROME.
Does that sound right?
It sounds like you have it figured out. I don't think the fender tag options are as complicated as Galen makes them out to be. Thanks for the clarification. I will have to get into my book later and see if I can figure out where you found that last bit of information.

Does that sound right?

Using that same logic for 65 in the code book, here is what I get for your ABC line.
AB is engine code mapped to sales code 340 to 359 so your 31 is mapped to 273 1-4BBL 235hp 8 CYL 10.5:1 C/R then it has model VBL family LA
C is accessory groups mapped to sales code 320 to 339 so your 2 is mapped to 322. 322 has 2 entries one for safety group chrysler and another for FORMULA S PACKAGE BARRACUDA which has a paragraph below it stating: Includes: Commando 273 V8 4BBL, Rallye Suspension, Firm Ride Shocks, Tachometer, Fast Manual Steering Ratio, Nameplate Frt. End-Formula S, 14" Sports Car Tires, 5,5" Sports Car Wheels, Sports Car Wheel Covers
D is transmission mapped to sales code 360 to 369 so your 3 is mapped to 363 which states TRANSMISSION-4 SPEED model VBLRWPDC family FLR SHIFT
E is heater mapped to sales code 400 to 409 so your 5 is mapped to 405 which states HEATER-FRONT WITH DEFROSTER
F is ? book goes from E to Q +S and then V
Q + S is radio and is mapped to sales codes 441 to 469 so your 1 is 441 RADIO-AM MUSIC MASTER/ECONOMY
V is backup lights and is mapped to 473 which just states backup lights
then under all the abc codes given the book states Other code meanings unknown or unconfirmed

Hope this helps - sounds like a sweet ride!

Thanks for all the help. Somewhere I decoded the 1 under the F as Power Brakes which the car does have. I'm intrigued by the "Show Car Finish". Unfortunately the car had a poor quality repaint probably in the late 70's. Think 30+ year old Earl Scheib. They did not put the stripe back on. Here's a couple of shots from some of todays continued cleanup. I pulled the carpet up under the passenger front and found this label that was on the bottom of the carpet. Still no build sheet. Other pics are of the interior rear seat area. Here's a question: If you ordered Power Steering (this car has) on a Formula S, which would obviously override the "Fast Manual Steering Ratio" does it have some sort of "Fast Ratio" power steering or just the normal power steering?? Does anyone else with paint code "N", Barracuda Silver Poly, have the code 6 under the 7?

65cudainteriorrear.jpg

65cudainteriorrear2.jpg

65cudacarpertag.jpg

What the steering means is your power steering is the same as fast fatio. Count the turns and it will be the same.

-
Back