another freaking engine build thread

-
So, it's kinda an odd build but it will do what you want. Like a tractor motor sorta. 540 cubic inches, that cam, those heads and intake......your rpm of peak horsepower will be about 4,200 rpm. Let's look at the bright side.... with a 4.5" arm you may have 700 lb-ft of torque right there. 2.40 rear end gears, 28" tire and you may go 160mph

Let's keep all your pieces. The lifters you have choosen will need adjustable valve train as stated in the Comp Cams catalog.

I love the 850 Mighty Demon, should work until the heads give out.

You might get lucky and squeeze the long arm by the oil pickup boss in the block.....but figure on contacting Milodon and getting an external oiling system.

Best of luck.

thanks i havent purchased anything other than the motor yet so im allright with suggestions its just everybody kinda does the same 500 512 build. im just kinda trying to look outside the box. you mention the peak horsepower would be at about 4200 do you think it would drop off dramatically or still stay up in that range? i dont ever want this motor to turn over 6500 ever.

well
you know the "Snow Ball" effect

once you need pistons, might as well get floating rods
then you need better rod/rod bolts
crank needs turned> go stroker

Then need/want bigger cam
better heads

:burnout:

lol thats how all this started i bought the car with a 318 in it piddled around with it then decided i wanted more power thought maybe a 360 build then thought 408 strocker then thought big block and now im at my current idea big block stroker lol i know its ridiculous for its application but its kinda what i want and i dont want to look back and wish i went bigger

In my opinion, the best package is the 505", 4.25 stroke kit. No crazy oiling, will work well with the cheaper heads, and be able to go as fast as you want. It can make 600+ torque with a medium sized flat tappet too. For all the expense of a 540 it should be much more well rounded than a tractor engine.

I guess I'll be the one to ask the question: Have you considered all the other upgrades you'll have to make to the trans, chassis, suspension, tires wheels, etc.? The engine itself is only about a quarter of the package...I guess having a 500+hp big block in an unmodified car would be fun until you pay for a few sets of tires and start finding floorpan cracks...

thanks i havent purchased anything other than the motor yet so im allright with suggestions its just everybody kinda does the same 500 512 build. im just kinda trying to look outside the box. you mention the peak horsepower would be at about 4200 do you think it would drop off dramatically or still stay up in that range? i dont ever want this motor to turn over 6500 ever.

I'ver never tried to dyno a build like this, it doesn't make sense, there are reasons we keep things in boxes sometimes.

Unless the quality of TCI parts have increased immensely, I'd look at a different vendor for a convertor.

Trans are really easy to build.

ok thanks guys guess ill just copy some other builds or do more of a stock rebuild and yeah i know i need to do subframe connectors and other upgrades to handle the extra power

I think it's pretty good for you. He doesn't go into details on the porting tho. I'd be interested to know what "fully ported" means in terms of numbers. That's part of the reason I'd just start with a better set of heads. Might be more $$ initially, but there's more room for growth and less to do "right now" because they're already at 315-320 cfm with a good valve job. Also note the static compression on Matt's is a hair over 11:1, and the smaller-than-yours hydro roller cam. I think if you got the Indy EZ top end, and ran a solid flat tappet you could make more usable power for not much more $$. The CNC Stealths are $2200, the EZ-1 "as cast" package is $2300 but you'd still need an intake, a set of rockers, and real headers.

I suggest that you first definitely select the head that you want to run and the chamber volume of it. Then have Stealth match the piston to give the compression ratio that you want. Don't pick piston before you know what the block deck height is and chamber volume. Then again if you don't want to spend big $$ on heads, don't go too big on CI. Good luck on your build..

-
Back