Another Header question

-

9teen7tSwinger

Reaction score
My friend and his father own a exhaust shop and I had asked about custom headers. I am hoping to get my 383 in there sooner rather than later. Would it be a good idea to have them build custom fenderwell headers? Or should I ask for regular 1 3/4" full lenght headers? My dad says to just use exhaust manifolds and have them do custom dual exhaust with either an X pipe or an H pipe with some good flowing mufflers... Any opinions are welcome.

Hedders are a big improvement over the manifolds, even shorty hedders are better. But you have to do what your pocket tells you, or what you want or you won't be happy and wished you did what you wanted to, to start with.

I went thru this very thing with my son and his 68 Dart that we are putting in a 383 4 speed. I would guess that I had 10+ hours of research just looking and reading about what people are using. Went thru all the brands from Hedman,Hooker,TTI,Dougs,Schumacher...etc. Some headers just wont fit even though they say they will. Some headers are better than manifolds but not much. And some hang so long that you cant cross mouse do do without dragging them off.
The headers that I finally decided on was a set of Maddog headers. Not a lot of people know about Mark and his headers but from the conversation that I had with him I decided that this could be the right choice. These are not your everyday header so they should work great. We are suppose to put them on the car tomorrow and then we will see if the fit is what we were told.
Anyway to answer your question...do your research and do it again and again and when you think you have done it all..do it again. Then you can make your choice..I like the idea of headers but they may not be for everyone..
Do your research between headers and exhaust manifolds. If you choose the header route then do the research on what size primaries and collectors is the best for your application also size them for future growth so you dont have to buy another set...
Sorry about the long post...

Rick

There are also manifolds that have the necked down area removed, and a steel pipe welded in plce. I am not sure who sells them, but BigBlockDart.com should know. They are what is going on my buddy's '68 383 4sp car. Pretty slick pcs.

I at one time did run a set of Hooker fenderwell headers on a 67 383 Dart.
They really woke up the 383..Drawbacks were limited tire size as tall tires rubbed on tubes..the collector hit the brace on the body under the fenderwell and had to trim the brace, as for weaking the car I suppose it does any time you cut out a large chunk of metal it weakens sommething. However the biggest drawback is the fact that once you cut out those fenderwells its going to cost you big money to replace it back ..if you ever decide to.
Howwever they sure do look tough...Seriously if I had to do it again on a mostly street car I'd probally go under chassis.
Maynard

-
Back