Another header questions... Sorry

-

tony20110

Reaction score
I never thought the Achilles heel to an early A build would be headers.

I have a 1966 Cuda with a 360la and a 727 trans. No power steering. I thought the Dougs were an answer but not with a 727. I have seen different "facts" about TTI's and spitfires etc.

What are my options? I am prepared to do fenderwell headers if need be. I am prepared to spend $900 if need be (sell one of the kids I guess). I currently have the exhaust manifolds that were on my 73 360la out of a motor home. I'm afraid I'm going to leave 15-30 hp in the engine if I use them.

Out of all the twists and turns to building "Betty" this has been the most frustrating.

Rumors were Sanderson headers,were doing shorties. Something I heard,don't know anything else. How much cam / cyl head flow/ gear come into effect here.

Not a rumor, Sanderson is now making the shorty headers for the early A's. You will need part # DD8
Rumors were Sanderson headers,were doing shorties. Something I heard,don't know anything else. How much cam / cyl head flow/ gear come into effect here.

What fact have you seen about TTI? I have used Sam's headers since 63. If they say they will fit, they will fit. Any shorty header will cost mucho HP. Call TTI and talk to them. The same with Dougs. There is so much misinfo on the internet, talk to the source. Some complaints are because the frame is tweaked or it was a Friday car. You may have taken a loose nut on the end of the wrench as fact. I may be wrong but then I'm only 72 with a little more than 50 years experience.

Thanks for the info guys. Ted, I have been told by Dougs that their header wont fit with a 727. I've heard the same thing about TTI but not from the company. I'd rather do fenderwells than shorties but full length is my first choice.

I never thought the Achilles heel to an early A build would be headers.

I have a 1966 Cuda with a 360la and a 727 trans. No power steering. I thought the Dougs were an answer but not with a 727. I have seen different "facts" about TTI's and spitfires etc.

What are my options? I am prepared to do fenderwell headers if need be. I am prepared to spend $900 if need be (sell one of the kids I guess). I currently have the exhaust manifolds that were on my 73 360la out of a motor home. I'm afraid I'm going to leave 15-30 hp in the engine if I use them.

Out of all the twists and turns to building "Betty" this has been the most frustrating.

Not to be too much of an antagonist, but if you did any real research on early "A" bodies, you would have learned about their many Achilles heals.
Basically very little support from the aftermarket: in term of exhaust; 2 under chassis headers with restrictions/limitations, shorties with restrictions/limitations/delivery problems, fenderwell with restrictions/limitations, ten years ago there were even less offerings.
Since a 727 was never offered in an early "A" why would you expect to find a header to fit the combination? Loose the 727, put in a 904, and make use of headers that are available.

My early "A"

Attachments

• skyview 7 3 2010 033.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 267
The Hedman shotries for the later A body will fit. The passenger's side header falls right in. The driver's side header has to have the #1 tube relocated from the collector to the base of the #3 tube, just above the collector. Then the driver's side header will fit good.

They are the Hedman #78500.

What are you planning on doing with the Doug's that don't work?
Pics?

He told you. He wants to run a 727 transmission. Dougs do not work with the 727. In fact, when I had mine in my 65 Valiant, even with a 904 I had to trim a corner off the bellhousing to clear one tube.

The Hedman shotries for the later A body will fit. The passenger's side header falls right in. The driver's side header has to have the #1 tube relocated from the collector to the base of the #3 tube, just above the collector. Then the driver's side header will fit good.

They are the Hedman #78500.
See photos of the tight tubes. Did you already install the 727? If so, you must of modified the tunnel for it to fit, right? My '63 runs a 727 and it took some work to get it in. I can see why you would want to stick with it if it's already installed. The right front corner of the 727 pan/case sticks out further than a 904 and interferes with the right side collector on the TTI and Doug's. I made mine from an old pair of Headman Huslers that came off a '73 A. They were intended for one pipe on either side to go through the I.F. I did not want to cut up the car so I cut up the headers. Dip stick, kick-down and oil filter are also stumbling blocks. Just food for thought. Good luck with your decision,
Larry

Attachments

• Dart Exhaust 007.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 219
  • Dart Exhaust 005.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 248
  • Dart Exhaust 002.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 232
  • Dart Exhaust 020.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 245
  • Dart Exhaust 022.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 001.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 247
  • dart headers 020.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 290
  • dart headers 012.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 271
  • dart headers 015.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Dart Exhaust 009.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 260
Thanks for all the input guys. The header problem is a little clearer now. I think I'm going to try the tti's unless something comes up.

Forgive me. It was the number one tube into the number five tube. I knew it tied into one of the middle ones. Thanks for the pics, Larry.

-
Back