Another magnum swap thread

-
Is this project still on the go??

I'm also interested in hearing the same, as I have recently picked up a 97 5.9 complete engine but no wiring harness or computer and I am trying to decide if it would be easier and cheaper to just keep it factory EFI or go the CARB route.

I'm also interested in hearing the same, as I have recently picked up a 97 5.9 complete engine but no wiring harness or computer and I am trying to decide if it would be easier and cheaper to just keep it factory EFI or go the CARB route.
Definitely go EFI. Carbs are fine, but why not run EFI. If the wrecking yards near you have plenty of these trucks, getting a complete wire harness and working ECM should be easy.

Definitely go EFI. Carbs are fine, but why not run EFI. If the wrecking yards near you have plenty of these trucks, getting a complete wire harness and working ECM should be easy.

Yeah I definitely want to go EFI as I do not have any knowledge of Carbs at all but according to the Magnum-Swap website he states that the Stock EFI "is acceptable for a stock daily driver, but NOT for performance applications". All I have is the motor (no wiring harness or computer) And I am of the mindset that if I have to do (or Redo) something might as well plan ahead. In the future I plan on dropping a Cam and Heads at some point (maybe even a S/C) on my Magnum so if I'm gonna spend the money for an OEM Harness and Computer I might as well save up a lil more and get something that will handle the future upgrades. Do it once - do it right! But damn all the wiring harnesses are upwards of $700!!!! and that's with me providing a harness which I don't have. So I am at a crossroads if you will, trying to decide what is the most cost-effective method in order to achieve EFI with what I currently got and not having to reinvent the wheel because I will have to dump money into "Other" stuff (Mounts, Trans, Rear, Shaft)in order to drop this in my car.

Stock ECM can be tuned with SCT software for almost anything you want it to do. You call someone who does tunes, tell them your combo, and they sell you a handheld tuner box loaded with the calibration you need. You can load that calibration into your ECM, and you can even purchase additional calibration files for later upgrades. This only applies to OBD2 ECMs with three connectors. The single connector OBD1 ECM is not programmable.
Harness is easy to build yourself, even if you are not experienced. Just get a complete engine harness from local self service salvage yard. You keep the connections you need and remove the unused wires left over.
Last harness and ECM I got cost about $150. You pay a lot when someone else is removing wires for you, but it is easy to do.

Last edited:
-
Back