Another magnum swap thread

-
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might have to find a earlery year computer to use. But not a big deal if I can't use the pcm to run the Gage's.

As far as gauges, I'm wanting to run Autometer manual gauges. I'm hoping I can T the oil and temp gauges, and run a factory sender to send the ECM what it needs to see, and have the manual gauge so I can see what's going on. If that will work, I will just remove the wires coming from the ECM to the factory cluster. That's really the only part of this whole deal that I worry about. I do want to wire in a check engine light, and have the OBD2 connection inside the truck to pull codes if needed.

As far as gauges, I'm wanting to run Autometer manual gauges. I'm hoping I can T the oil and temp gauges, and run a factory sender to send the ECM what it needs to see, and have the manual gauge so I can see what's going on. If that will work, I will just remove the wires coming from the ECM to the factory cluster. That's really the only part of this whole deal that I worry about. I do want to wire in a check engine light, and have the OBD2 connection inside the truck to pull codes if needed.
That's what I want to do. If I can't get the pcm to run my gages. I might just get a Edge insite CTS to use as gages. It's a 5 inch digital monitem. It' works on anything that has OBD2. I have one in my 2010 dodge diesel truck and it's awesome

you don't need to have the ecm control your gauges worst case you run what ever gauges you want inipendant of the ecm

iv'e got an 01 5.2 in my 72 dart, factory efi. dart is using the factory gauges and starting system independent of the ecm. i never wired the oil sender to the computer. some say the comp. needs to see oil pressure, but mine's been without it for three years now. dave.

iv'e got an 01 5.2 in my 72 dart, factory efi. dart is using the factory gauges and starting system independent of the ecm. i never wired the oil sender to the computer. some say the comp. needs to see oil pressure, but mine's been without it for three years now. dave.

Thanks, this is good to hear! I don't mind sending oil and water signal to the ecm, so I will add T's at the oil and water temp senders just in case. If I were doing a car that it mattered whether goofy looking T's looked bad, I'd leave em off. I'm sticking my Magnum in an 88 D150 long bed, and it looks like a Sanford & Sons truck....lol. I just want it to be dead nuts reliable so my wife can drive it when she needs a truck. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Well, thought I would have some good info to share, but it went downhill after further study.

It appears that the CCD bus needs the body module in order to function, because it powers the circuit. But other than the CTM and the PCM, nothing else is needed to make the CCD bus function.

Also, the ABS module can be used to feed the PCM a speed input. Found a guy on here that said he swapped out the rear axle in his Dakota and lost the ABS sensor, so he used a universal speedometer converter from Dakota Digital (maybe this one? Universal Speedometer Signal Interface) to feed the output shaft sensor info to the ABS module and it ran without issues. This means a simple sensor in the speedometer hole of a 727/904/A833 could give a signal to the PCM without a bunch of work or cost (Dakota Digital converter was less than $100).

So, in theory, if someone were to wire in a CTM and CAB (ABS module) with a converter from Dakota Digital, all of the pertinent info for gauges would be present on the CCD data bus. This would save the need to run additional sending units on the motor. And it would save a fair number of wires, too.

The issue I ran into is that the ‘01 CCD data bus doesn’t appear to be a standard protocol, and I have been unable to find a controller that would convert the signals into something that aftermarket gauges could run on. SpeedHut has a line of CANbus gauges that would be similar to what I would want to see, but they don’t work on the CCD bus architecture. I know the OEM cluster runs on the CCD bus, so it isn’t out of the question to use a Ram cluster, but it might not be the cleanest fix.

I did find a thread where a guy built an interface to convert aftermarket CANbus signals to CCD so he could run his factory instrument cluster. We would need one that went the other way, and if so might be able to run something like the SpeedHut gauges. No idea what that would take, but it doesn’t seem impossible.

Speedhut gauges -About Our Freedom CAN-BUS Gauges

On a side note, the converter/CAB fix means that I can run the OEM cruise control sometime down the road.

Well I got my Durango yesterday. It is a 2000 not a 2001/2002. The 2000 also has a black ing key. So am I still going to have to worry about VSS?

I used a 95 obd1 pcm on my 2001 found out the hardway you must match your injectors to the pcm. That is 95 pcm and 95 injectors!

I have a question for you guy. I have collected all the needed parts for doing the magnum efi swap into my Barracuda. I have a fresh built 5.9 and using the 46RE, I have an efi tank, pump and sending unit from Magnum Mopar, as well as a fresh rebuilt 98 harness, I have a 98 Ram brain ready to go. I am adding larger injectors, whipple charger and a larger throttle body. This will all have to be tuned. So I have purchased a tune from FlyinRyan. Which is all nice and dandy cause it doesn't mean crap to me unless I can find an under dash harness for the OBD2 port. Which leads me to the question...
What have you guys done about the OBD2 port harness? Did you build your own? or Did you strip it from the under dash harness?

If you built your own do you have a schematic available that i could use?

If not I have found a harness at the cost of $200. Which seems a bit much for a harness I'm only going to use 5% of the rest will end up in the trash... ugh

Thanks any info on this will help :-D

Last edited:
If you got a Magnum Mopar harness, he may have added that to your harness. For $600 or whatever it is, you would think that would be included in an OBDII version of the harness. If you got someone else's harness, they may not have included it if you didn't specifically ask for it.

If you got a Magnum Mopar harness, he may have added that to your harness. For $600 or whatever it is, you would think that would be included in an OBDII version of the harness. If you got someone else's harness, they may not have included it if you didn't specifically ask for it.

I originally had the harness and sent it to them for rebuild to fit my 65. I have the plug to the fire wall. But I don't have the OBD2 port from under dash to firewall.
They built what i asked them to, it wasn't till after and talking to Ryan that I found out he uses a SCT programmer and i need the OBD2 port to tune it.

So now i'm on the hunt for harness info to build one. or buy!?!

What have you guys done about the OBD2 port harness? Did you build your own? or Did you strip it from the under dash harness?

Not done with mine, but I just cut the plug and about 6" of wire out of a van in the yard. I plan to just connect the wires in the plug as needed.

Pretty sure there are only like 6-8 wires in the plug; power, ground, 2 wires direct to the PCM (Don't remember the label) and the 2 twisted pair wires for the CCD. Pretty sure you can ignore the CCD wires if you don't have the BCM as they won't work anyway and are probably more for diagnosing/programming modules other than the PCM and the two direct wires are used for that. I would look for it in the wiring diagrams, I know mine showed what went where.

Not done with mine, but I just cut the plug and about 6" of wire out of a van in the yard. I plan to just connect the wires in the plug as needed.

That was my next move. Hitting the yard and clipping the OBD2 port with piggtail and then finding the plug Engine harness --> firewall plug and clipping the Interior firewall plug ---> obd2 port. Cutting out the issue of removing the whole harness from the dash. Then hoping the wires match up in color...
Even at MM said with an under dash ECU mount all I'm going to need is about 6-8 inches... "I've heard that before" :-/

Pretty sure there are only like 6-8 wires in the plug; power, ground, 2 wires direct to the PCM (Don't remember the label) and the 2 twisted pair wires for the CCD. Pretty sure you can ignore the CCD wires if you don't have the BCM as they won't work anyway and are probably more for diagnosing/programming modules other than the PCM and the two direct wires are used for that. I would look for it in the wiring diagrams, I know mine showed what went where.

Here is a pick of the OBD2 plug. It says it's for a 98 jeep but it should work if you got one out of a truck

IMG_0528.PNG

IMG_0529.PNG

So i was able to hit the yard today and surprisingly I was not only able to get the jeep obd2 but i was able to get a 98 ram obd2 port.
I'll tell you now. "They are harness specific". The pins used on the jeep are not the same as the ram.
Thank gawd i grabbed the ram one too.
Ok so also i miss spoke on my earlier post. I had my harness built to run stock gauge setup so i didn't have to snag the female inner firewall plug.
So all i needed was the obd port with pig tail.
Now all i have to do is match up the wife to the right pins and I'm golden..

20170602_150919.jpg
20170602_150944.jpg
20170602_151317.jpg

So i was able to hit the yard today and surprisingly I was not only able to get the jeep obd2 but i was able to get a 98 ram obd2 port.
I'll tell you now. "They are harness specific". The pins used on the jeep are not the same as the ram.
Thank gawd i grabbed the ram one too.
Ok so also i miss spoke on my earlier post. I had my harness built to run stock gauge setup so i didn't have to snag the female inner firewall plug.
So all i needed was the obd port with pig tail.
Now all i have to do is match up the wife to the right pins and I'm golden..

View attachment 1715053378 View attachment 1715053379 View attachment 1715053381
That's good to know about the diffrent obdII conectors. I didn't know. Hope I didn't cause you problems

That's good to know about the different obdII connectors. I didn't know. Hope I didn't cause you problems
Nope not at all, its a learning process. :) I think I have my issue about 75% figured out. I did have a few question about my harness that i fired off to Even at MM, and I'm just waiting for his answer and I should be golden. I'll post up any info I come across...

So got an answer back from Even at MM about my harness I thought I would share with you all. It seems my harness is not only OBD2 but all so has a factory added OBD1 harness plug?!?! WTF?
It's the odd plug in the pictures. Have any of you heard of this?
I'm awaiting alittle more clarification on this from Even.

20170602_151317.jpg
20170602_162323_001.jpg
20170602_162333.jpg

So I may only need this 6pin obd1 to 16pin obd2 plug $10.98 on flebay...
rBVaEVbymZOAZZUnAAEFOMXV2VU158.jpg

Last edited:
So got an answer back from Even at MM about my harness I thought I would share with you all. It seems my harness is not only OBD2 but all so has a factory added OBD1 harness plug?!?! WTF?
It's the odd plug in the pictures. Have any of you heard of this?
I'm awaiting alittle more clarification on this from Even.

View attachment 1715054861 View attachment 1715054862 View attachment 1715054863

So I may only need this 6pin obd1 to 16pin obd2 plug $10.98 on flebay...
View attachment 1715054868
What year is your PCM and engine/trans? Sorry if I missed it. I thought I had read somewhere that there were transitional PCMs that were OBDII that had the early OBDI connector. I can't find where I read that at the moment.
Also, all OBDII connectors are the same, the wiring will change, but the connector itself if the same for all manufacturers.

-
Back