Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
I did enjoy the Mopar show yesterday but I was having a hard time keeping my left eye open. I don't know what it looked like to everyone else but this is what it felt like.
hqdefault.jpg

I hope the women there didn't mistake my fluttering eye as me flirting with them.
maxresdefault.jpg

3qh1bx.jpg

I love that Miller welder but there's always some initial voltage going to the stinger. Every time I position the lead to the spot I want to weld, it arcs and I get a flash. After several days of welding/tack welding, I think I burnt my retina. I kept dousing the eye with drops after getting home and it's a little better today.

Last edited:
Regardless of the eye bothering me, I felt guilty not making progress yesterday. So I pulled up my big boy panties and headed out to the car.

Without a latch for the body I've had to strap it down to the chassis when trailering. It's been a real pain in the butt because it meant reaching through the front wheel well and ratcheting it blind.

A few of the original latch pieces were still with the car. I thought they were built way too light and didn't want to rely on them to keep the body down at the strip. I re-made them and fabricated new parts for the ones that were missing.

This is the spring loaded mechanism I made that's attached to the body.
IMG_7735.JPG

The release handle extends through the bumper.
IMG_7738.JPG

I finished welding the tank support and attached the catch for the latch to it. It's much sturdier than the original parts were.
IMG_7733.JPG

IMG_7734.JPG

Even with the fuel cell mounted the catch looks like something that belongs in DEATHRACE 2000. I Vee'd the notch in it to prevent the spring loaded latch from getting bent if the body isn't properly lined up when lowered. I've also been considering adding a rounded hoop to it to prevent it from doing too much damage to shins.
IMG_7736.JPG

IMG_7737.JPG

I also got around to removing that second brake drum from the front hubs. The new latch setup works perfect. I should stay out and get more done but that eye is still bugging me.

One other thing I've decided I need to do soon is to add on some brackets to the car for tie-down strap hooks. When I strap the car down now the front spoiler pushes down on the straps. I don't want new stress cracks forming in it.

WHAT A DOWNPOUR! I was thankful that we were getting some cloud cover earlier today but then all hell broke loose. Even if it lets up it'll probably remain awfully wet outside. Working out in the driveway isn't always a viable option.
IMG_7739.JPG
IMG_7740.JPG

I did make some tie-down brackets that I was able to weld on the chassis before the rain hit. My next step was either to finish the new body hinges or to tweak the headers.

Initially I thought the headers were passable but then I noticed that they aren't parallel with the body. I had taken all of my measurements off of the frame. It might not bother everybody but they just don't look right to me.

The rain held me up again for the first part of the day but after it cleared I finally got some stuff done. I finished the body hinges and got most of the floor structure done. No pics yet. It was dark before I gave up.

It may not sound like much progress but it took a lot of time pulling the engine/transmission in and out a few times. I also was able to finish notching the rear motor plate so that it would clear the floor.

I love the work John and am enjoying the thread. I know it takes a lot of time for those of us that don't do this for the money but for the hobby and fun of it.
I pray for some more clear sky's so you continue.

I love the work John and am enjoying the thread. I know it takes a lot of time for those of us that don't do this for the money but for the hobby and fun of it.
I pray for some more clear sky's so you continue.

Thanks ariffle. I always wonder if I'm boring the heck out of the few that have been following my progress.

After the car was vandalized I really felt like giving up on ever putting this thing back together. The chassis was incomplete and built strangely (a 2-seater?). The body was pretty much destroyed. I didn't have a drivetrain except for the old Hemi that had been sitting out at the farm for about 30 years and needed rebuilding. My slicks had been slashed. The front tires had dry rot. It was almost as if I was starting from scratch.

In the back of my head I still had the dream of building a funnycar. It seemed more & more impractical the older I got. There isn't a day that goes by when I don't question why I'm continuing to invest my time in this thing. Maybe I'm just trying to hold onto my youth or maybe I truly am insane. Whatever the reason I keep plugging along.

Last edited:
I love it, I don't post much at all because I can't do what you guys do....but love watching so you've got my attention oh look there's a bunny....Great build keep plugging away.

Brad

I love it, I don't post much at all because I can't do what you guys do....but love watching so you've got my attention oh look there's a bunny....Great build keep plugging away.

Thanks Brad. You guys are often the only contact I have with the outside world. Sometimes the furthest I get away from the house is when I check the mailbox. I don't mind being a homebody (garagebody?) but I rarely hear any feedback (or get suggestions) from anyplace but here. Sometimes I wonder if I'd keep at it without the social interaction on this site.

Don't tell yourself that you can't do what others are doing with their projects. For years I stalled out on stuff I wanted to do because I didn't think I was capable. Your Swinger is already a sweet ride. I know there are guys out there that don't feel they could ever have anything close to that nice.

I'm just one guy working out in his driveway because I don't have a decent shop. I'm lucky that Teresa puts up with the mess.

Last edited:
HOLY CH-MOLY!!! I about crapped my pants! In order to work on the car I've been having to pull the engine/transmission fairly often. It always involves dismantling the headers, blower, and mounting bolts. I guess I've become complacent checking everything and I had a near disaster today.

IMG_7742.JPG

IMG_7746.JPG

As I was yanking the drivetrain for the umpteenth time the arm on the lift fell off! I didn't have the pin locked and the bracket twisted. Luckily I wasn't above the chassis and only about a foot off the ground.

IMG_7743.JPG

IMG_7745.JPG

Only minor damage. I can straighten out the lift bracket and re-weld it after I change my shorts.

Hey John, did I miss it. What ever happened to the house you were re-modeling??? Did you finish it? Just curious. Larry

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I WISH it was done! I didn't get a lot farther on it this year. - Mainly maintenance, accumulation of supplies, and some painting. I avoided posting about it here because there wasn't major progress.

Last edited:
After taking a closer look at the oil pan, I can't say the engine came out unscathed. :BangHead:

I was considering replacing or modifying it anyway so it's not a big loss.

Today was time to pay property taxes and take care of a bunch of other non-car related business. I did have enough time to finish welding up the floor supports and fixed the lift.
IMG_7747.JPG
IMG_7748.JPG
IMG_7749.JPG
IMG_7750.JPG

I know the configuration is a little odd but it's made to clear the torqueflite.

Hey John,

I'd say that body latch catch isn't falling off any time soon ... Great progress! Pity you dropped your power plant but it sure was a good thing you didn't have your foot under it!

And I wouldn't be so sure there's only a few of us watching ...

Hey John,

I'd say that body latch catch isn't falling off any time soon ... Great progress! Pity you dropped your power plant but it sure was a good thing you didn't have your foot under it!

And I wouldn't be so sure there's only a few of us watching ...

Hey Anders. I get really spooked whenever I watch old footage of funnycars that have the bodies fly off at mid-track. Most of the time it's due to a blower explosion but sometimes they go airborne on their own. I doubt I'd ever rebuild if I lost the body. I was tempted to make multiple latches but decided it wouldn't be smart if I ever needed to get out of the car quick.

I was just inches away from the motor when it dropped. I had one hand on it trying to twist the direction it would sit on the ground and the other hand on the cylinder valve. It was an idiot move on my part not to have secured the top.

Last edited:
It's the kind of mistake that happens all the time. A car enthusiast here in our town died last year when his jack gave in. He was squeezed between the open door of his car and the wall of his garage. He was a music teacher at our kids' school.

Just goes to show how important it is to ALWAYS stay clear of anything that's hanging.

Hey John, hoping it wasn't my old engine jack that caused the problem on the stand! Man, you are busier than ever, keep up the posts - always interesting.

It's the kind of mistake that happens all the time. A car enthusiast here in our town died last year when his jack gave in. He was squeezed between the open door of his car and the wall of his garage. He was a music teacher at our kids' school.

Just goes to show how important it is to ALWAYS stay clear of anything that's hanging.

Sorry to hear about that teacher. I'll probably meet my demise in some elaborate scheme for more speed.
Wylie_Trap.jpg
wile-e-coyote-acme-products.jpg
1601026_567819453295378_301862836_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey John, hoping it wasn't my old engine jack that caused the problem on the stand! Man, you are busier than ever, keep up the posts - always interesting.

LOL! Nope, the jack was there but it didn't have anything to do with the failure. Purely operator error. I figure I narrowly escape death at least once a week. It usually has something to do with my answers to Teresa when she asks if an outfit she tries on make her look fat.

Last edited:
There are a few chassis builders here in town that I've been trying to contact. I need to get a few cage hoops formed. They tend to go racing a lot so it's hard to coordinate with them. Meanwhile I scuffed down the surface rust that had formed on the frame and sprayed the bare metal black. Eventually I'll strip it back down and paint it again.
IMG_7759.JPG

The drivetrain is back in. - I didn't drop anything this time. I spent some time polishing out the radiator and it's brackets. It's probably wasted time because it'll need re-detailing later. I also started the polish on the fuel cell to see if I'd like it. Originally I had thought about painting it.
IMG_7753.JPG

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7755.JPG

IMG_7756.JPG

IMG_7757.JPG

IMG_7758.JPG

After seeing the aluminum parts polished I think I like it. I don't like the need to maintain it though.

I have no idea! It can't be too bad, as I see a lot of aluminum automotive parts that have been done. The process converts a very thin layer of the metal surface into a protective coating, which can be dyed at the same time. I used to work in a shop that made a lot of aluminum aircraft parts, and everything was anodized in one way or another. It is so widely used, I doubt if it is too expensive. Unfortunately I have totally lost contact with that place due to a relocation.

Never seen a radiator done, I think there may be issues with the very thin metal the fins/tubes are made from. There has to be a reason they are never done.

Anyone else's Mom have a set of anodized aluminum tumblers like these? I love these!

We had some that were similar back in the 60s. I'm liking the red anodizing on that one. I still need to research local businesses that can anodize parts. I'd love to get everything either anodized or powder coated that I can. Cost is definitely a major deciding factor on how I'll coat things. I may just spray my polished parts with a translucent paint if I can't swing the anodizing.

I heard back from the second chassis builder a few minutes ago. It looks like both of them are going to be gone for about a week of racing in Iowa & Wisconsin. Looks like I'll have to redirect my attention elsewhere while I wait.

We normally set up our Halloween decor at the start of October. That means I have less than one month to get everything ready. I think I need to get one more projector for our display this year. We'll have a total of five. If everything goes right we'll be displaying movies on our garage door so I'll have to get the vehicles off the driveway before then.

Last edited:
We had some that were similar back in the 60s. I'm liking the red anodizing on that one. I still need to research local businesses that can anodize parts. I'd love to get everything either anodized or powder coated that I can. Cost is definitely a major deciding factor on how I'll coat things. I may just spray my polished parts with a translucent paint if I can't swing the anodizing.

I heard back from the second chassis builder a few minutes ago. It looks like both of them are going to be gone for about a week of racing in Iowa & Wisconsin. Looks like I'll have to redirect my attention elsewhere while I wait.

We normally set up our Halloween decor at the start of October. That means I have less than one month to get everything ready. I think I need to get one more projector for our display this year. We'll have a total of five. If everything goes right we'll be displaying movies on our garage door so I'll have to get the vehicles off the driveway before then.
have you thot about borrowing an electrical tubing bender "a big one" from some one ? I bent my 1 3/4 tubing on a bender when I worked for the city. Don`t feel bad, I`ve droped two engines. the first was the hemi I used to race. we had a borrowed hoist at the time, my partner stepped off of it , the engine weighed more than the hoist could handle . bent the alum oil pan, no pickup damage. the second was a 383 sbc , the hoist I traded for came apart, needless to say, it got welded together ! bent the crank and balancer on the sbc. was I pissed !

-
Back