Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Now it's time for something completely different!

For the past year or so some kid has been calling me in an attempt to buy one of my Honda Odesseys. I had responded to a Facebook ad where someone was looking for one. As it turned out, he didn't have any money.

Every month or so he calls me back trying to get me to trade him for non-working 4-wheelers and stuff.

Originally I had 3 of them but one of the FL-350s (that was pristine) was stolen. I still have an FL-250 and this last FL-350. He's never seen it yet. I never bothered to send him pictures because I didn't want to waste much effort if he didn't have cash. I was sort of hoping that he'd just stop calling on it.

I hadn't driven any of them for almost a decade. So they sat and weathered outside.

He called again a few days ago insisting on coming out to look at the FL-350. With all of the thefts we've had at the farm I decided to haul it into town rather than have strangers traipsing around eyeballing the rest of the parts I have out there.

It was looking pretty sad from neglect. I trailered it to the car wash and hosed it down. Then I touched up the paint a bit so it would look presentable. At least it shouldn't look like an eyesore if it's sitting here in town now.

I had paid $2500 apiece for the FL-350s and about $1000 for the FL-250. After the one was stolen I figure I should just dump the other two rather than see some crook end up with them. I told him $1500 for the one.

img_4824-jpg.jpg

img_4823-jpg.jpg

img_4830-jpg.jpg

img_4831-jpg.jpg

Needless to say my whole day was wasted messing around with the Odessey. He's supposed to show up tomorrow. I hope he doesn't stay long, - I've got to get other work done.

View attachment IMG_4824.jpg

View attachment IMG_4823.jpg

View attachment IMG_4830.jpg

View attachment IMG_4831.jpg

Last edited:
Now it's time for something completely different!

For the past year or so some kid has been calling me in an attempt to buy one of my Honda Odesseys. I had responded to a Facebook ad where someone was looking for one. As it turned out, he didn't have any money.

Every month or so he calls me back trying to get me to trade him for non-working 4-wheelers and stuff.

Originally I had 3 of them but one of the FL-350s (that was pristine) was stolen. I still have an FL-250 and this last FL-350.
He's never seen it yet. I never bothered to send him pictures because I didn't want to waste much effort if he didn't have cash. I was sort of hoping that he'd just stop calling on it.

I hadn't driven any of them for almost a decade. So they sat and weathered outside.

He called again a few days ago insisting on coming out to look at the FL-350. With all of the thefts we've had at the farm I decided to haul it into town rather than have strangers traipsing around eyeballing the rest of the parts I have out there.

It was looking pretty sad from neglect. I trailered it to the car wash and hosed it down. Then I touched up the paint a bit so it would look presentable. At least it shouldn't look like an eyesore if it's sitting here in town now.

I had paid $2500 apiece for the FL-350s and about $1000 for the FL-250. After the one was stolen I figure I should just dump the other two rather than see some crook end up with them. I told him $1500 for the one.

View attachment 1714802000

View attachment 1714802001

View attachment 1714802002

View attachment 1714802003

Needless to say my whole day was wasted messing around with the Odessey. He's supposed to show up tomorrow. I hope he doesn't stay long, - I've got to get other work done.

no suspension, *** hammers for sure, sell them! my bad!

no suspension, *** hammers for sure, sell them! my bad!

Unlike the early Honda Odysseys, in 1985 they became fully suspended with the larger engine. They even added a transmission that had reverse. They were more like a mini dune buggy rather than like a go cart.

Last edited:
The Odyssey sale turned out to be a bust. I waited around all day Saturday for him to call as he promised. No call. Sunday I waited until the early afternoon and called him to see what was going on. He hem-hawed around, made some excuses and said he might stop by later.

Six hours later he showed up. At first he said it was exactly what he was looking for. Then he proceeded to try to talk me down to half the price. - And on top of that he wanted me to take payments. I'm not a bank and I know these sell for much more than what I was asking. I hate it when people waste my time.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I finished putting the instrument cluster back in the truck. As I was testing the accessories I found issues that needed fixing. When my high beams didn't work, I found the problem in the firewall bulkhead connector. Some minor corrosion, -no big thing to fix. I'm not sure what's going on with my windshield wipers yet. They're not working. It may be the switch but it could be the motor too. The fuses are good. I'll have to trace it out. The heater fan motor isn't blowing yet either...

img_4837-jpg.jpg

Some of the wiring was in poor shape next to the pigtail connectors for the tail lights. I ran to the parts store today and purchased new watertight connectors.

img_4841-jpg.jpg

I installed the back up camera system but needed longer screws to mount my license plate after assembling it.

img_4842-jpg.jpg

img_4833-jpg.jpg

I had these bicentennial prestige plates on the truck when I drove it years ago. I'm not certain if I'll be able to use them again. They are the correct style plates for what Nebraska would have issued when the truck was new.

img_4834-jpg.jpg
]

I welded the bracket onto my receiver hitch for the trailer plug-in. I still have to wire it in.

img_4835-jpg.jpg

The new gas tank sending unit showed up this afternoon. It may be too cold for the next few days to get it installed. There's also a chance of rain.

img_4838-jpg.jpg

I had needed a few more items to complete the truck. Member d5667 is also on For Trucks Only. I contacted him and it sounds like he's got the parts I need. My factory jack was bad, - I needed the J-hook that supports the spare tire, and I needed a glove box latch and a pair of interior door handles.

View attachment IMG_4837.jpg

View attachment IMG_4841.jpg

View attachment IMG_4842.jpg

View attachment IMG_4833.jpg

View attachment IMG_4834.jpg

View attachment IMG_4835.jpg

View attachment IMG_4838.jpg

Last edited:
The Odyssey sale turned out to be a bust. I waited around all day Saturday for him to call as he promised. No call. Sunday I waited until the early afternoon and called him to see what was going on. He hem-hawed around, made some excuses and said he might stop by later.

Six hours later he showed up. At first he said it was exactly what he was looking for. Then he proceeded to try to talk me down to half the price. - And on top of that he wanted me to take payments. I'm not a bank and I know these sell for much more than what I was asking. I hate it when people waste my time.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I finished putting the instrument cluster back in the truck. As I was testing the accessories I found issues that needed fixing. When my high beams didn't work, I found the problem in the firewall bulkhead connector. Some minor corrosion, -no big thing to fix. I'm not sure what's going on with my windshield wipers yet. They're not working. It may be the switch but it could be the motor too. The fuses are good. I'll have to trace it out. The heater fan motor isn't blowing yet either...

View attachment 1714803072

Some of the wiring was in poor shape next to the pigtail connectors for the tail lights. I ran to the parts store today and purchased new watertight connectors.

View attachment 1714803073

I installed the back up camera system but needed longer screws to mount my license plate after assembling it.

View attachment 1714803074

View attachment 1714803075

I had these bicentennial prestige plates on the truck when I drove it years ago. I'm not certain if I'll be able to use them again. They are the correct style plates for what Nebraska would have issued when the truck was new.

View attachment 1714803076

I welded the bracket onto my receiver hitch for the trailer plug-in. I still have to wire it in.

View attachment 1714803077

The new gas tank sending unit showed up this afternoon. It may be too cold for the next few days to get it installed. There's also a chance of rain.

View attachment 1714803078

I had needed a few more items to complete the truck. Member d5667 is also on For Trucks Only. I contacted him and it sounds like he's got the parts I need. My factory jack was bad, - I needed the J-hook that supports the spare tire, and I needed a glove box latch and a pair of interior door handles.

D5667, is a good guy, didn't know he was into trucks. As a mid 80's teenager, picked up a early Oddessey. My but hurt, fun as hell.

D5667, is a good guy, didn't know he was into trucks. As a mid 80's teenager, picked up a early Oddessey. My but hurt, fun as hell.

He said he's got a BUNCH of trucks. He's restoring a 'Lil Red too.

Originally we had a pair of the FL-250s and they were a blast. The lack of reverse was a pain in the butt. The 350s were a lot faster and easier on the tail bone with their full suspension. We had them upside down a few times when we were hopping ditches. The 4-point harnesses were a life saver when we got wild with them. We clocked our fastest one at 65.

Last edited:
*The temperature has remained low here the past few days. Tuesday it didn't get out of the 30s. Wednesday was slightly better. Most of my time has been occupied with cleaning. The new right tail light did arrive in the mail so I did get it on.

I talked to my son over the phone and he's planning on coming from Iowa this weekend. I should have the garage clean enough to get the Roadrunner back inside. He's determined that we spend the time to troubleshoot the problems with the ignition control.

Spring is here (whether or not it feels like it) and my time working on the cars is going to be pretty limited. If we can get the Roadrunner running well it'll be one less thing that I'd set out to accomplish over Winter. 99% of the work I wanted to get done on the Duster is finished. Who knows? Maybe if we have success with the Roadrunner we can still have time left to do the converter swap on the Barracuda. I'm hoping he sticks around long enough to help stuff the 360 into the truck too. That dang cylinder on my cherry picker bleeds down so fast that it takes one person pumping the jack just to keep an engine in the air.

The temperature is still too cold here for me to want to spend much time outside. It snowed most of yesterday but most of it melted as it hit the ground. It's mid-day today and the temp finally rose above freezing.

As I've been cleaning the garage I found my missing center caps for the 'Lil Red. What a relief. At $60 a pop I wasn't willing to order another set. I put them on the truck right away so I wouldn't lose them again.

img_4871-jpg.jpg

img_4872-jpg.jpg

img_4873-jpg.jpg

I had purchased those funky red anodized lug nuts a while back thinking that they might look good with the red paint on the truck. Now I'm not so sure.

I wish that all of my missing parts would show back up but I'm certain that most of them really were stolen.

It's nice to get the mess sorted out but this garage is still going to be awfully crowded with parts and equipment. I still remain afraid to store any of it at our farm until I hear the police are starting to catch some of those thieves. It'd even be a relief to see signs that they're attempting to do so.

View attachment IMG_4871.jpg

View attachment IMG_4872.jpg

View attachment IMG_4873.jpg

Last edited:
I finished cleaning the garage. HEY! It's got a concrete floor!

It's a two stall garage but I was only able to clear room for 1&1/2 vehicles. Way too much stored in here yet. But it seems roomy compared to what it's been for the last several months.

I moved the truck back in and tried to get some work done on it. Tomorrow my son's coming from Des Moines and we're most likely going to have to clear the garage for the tuneup on the Roadrunner.

I discovered that the new paint is preventing my tail light brackets from providing a good ground. I wasn't surprised, - no big deal. I had to replace a few of the bulbs. - Again, I had expected as much. The new right hand tail light works great. The old one on the left side - not as well. There is enough corrosion in the light bulb sockets that (despite cleaning them and using dielectric grease) they tend to be unreliable. There are 3 sockets in each lamp assembly. One for tail/brake. One for back up. - And one for the built in side marker. One of the prongs that holds the side marker bulb in place was rusted off. I went online and ordered a left tail light assembly.

I finished up the tail gate chains.

When it came time to remove the gas tank sending unit I ran into a problem. There's a series of phillips head screws that hold it in place. They're rusty. The crosshairs X head began to strip as I tried loosening it. I gave up right away before I twisted it off or mangled it to the point where I won't be able to use a screwdriver on it. I'm out of rust penetrant. I'll try to get some and hope that it will help me to break these loose.

Cleaning out my old tin shed (getting a new tuff shed) I came across a hydraulic jack from an engine hoist. I forgot I even had it, it goes to show you that you should clean your shed up every 15 years whether it needs it or not! My next door neighbor actually gave it to me a long time ago as he was moving. Anyway, I think it works, I can take a picture of it if you are interested. I have no need for it and its yours if you can use it.

Scott

*The temperature has remained low here the past few days. Tuesday it didn't get out of the 30s. Wednesday was slightly better. Most of my time has been occupied with cleaning. The new right tail light did arrive in the mail so I did get it on.

I talked to my son over the phone and he's planning on coming from Iowa this weekend. I should have the garage clean enough to get the Roadrunner back inside. He's determined that we spend the time to troubleshoot the problems with the ignition control.

Spring is here (whether or not it feels like it) and my time working on the cars is going to be pretty limited. If we can get the Roadrunner running well it'll be one less thing that I'd set out to accomplish over Winter. 99% of the work I wanted to get done on the Duster is finished. Who knows? Maybe if we have success with the Roadrunner we can still have time left to do the converter swap on the Barracuda. I'm hoping he sticks around long enough to help stuff the 360 into the truck too. That dang cylinder on my cherry picker bleeds down so fast that it takes one person pumping the jack just to keep an engine in the air.

I like who ever took this picture, looks cool.

When my son sent me the link to the picture it surprised me. It's one thing to see pictures of your own car that you post online but you don't expect to see pictures that someone else took. I'm not familiar enough with special effects to have made it but I am really glad that someone took the time to do it.

Last edited:
Cleaning out my old tin shed (getting a new tuff shed) I came across a hydraulic jack from an engine hoist. I forgot I even had it, it goes to show you that you should clean your shed up every 15 years whether it needs it or not! My next door neighbor actually gave it to me a long time ago as he was moving. Anyway, I think it works, I can take a picture of it if you are interested. I have no need for it and its yours if you can use it.

HECK YAAAA!! I either need to get a replacement jack or have mine rebuilt. I'll pm you info. Thanksabunch Scott!

Last edited:
I had absolutely no luck with the rust penetrant on the gas tank sending unit screws. The problem is that they were so rusty that they wanted to crumble whenever I exerted any force on them. I decided to drop the tank to get a better handle on removing them.

img_4896-jpg.jpg

Holy crap that's a big gas tank. It's 5&1/2 foot long. The dirt and remnants of undercoating on it make it look pretty shabby. It wasn't too difficult to get out except for the one hanger bolt that was right behind the cab and had to be accessed from above. I'm glad I hadn't bolted the box onto the frame yet. A buddy stopped over and helped me to slide the box back about 6". Then he loaned me all of his 1/2" drive extensions so that I could reach the bolt from above the box.

img_4882-jpg.jpg

img_4883-jpg.jpg

img_4884-jpg.jpg

img_4885-jpg.jpg

img_4886-jpg.jpg

img_4887-jpg.jpg

img_4888-jpg.jpg

img_4894-jpg.jpg

img_4895-jpg.jpg

I knew I didn't have time to finish up the tank yet. I'd promised Spencer that we'd work on his Roadrunner when he got here. So, after removing the tank we slid the box back forward and towed the 'Lil Red to the backyard.

View attachment IMG_4896.jpg

View attachment IMG_4882.jpg

View attachment IMG_4883.jpg

View attachment IMG_4884.jpg

View attachment IMG_4885.jpg

View attachment IMG_4886.jpg

View attachment IMG_4887.jpg

View attachment IMG_4888.jpg

View attachment IMG_4894.jpg

View attachment IMG_4895.jpg

Last edited:
My son took the Roadrunner out for a short test drive when he went to fill the tank up. It gave him a chance to get a feel for how the car was behaving prior to tearing into it. I felt guilty for not having spent more time troubleshooting before he got here but at least we've got room in the garage to work on it now.

img_4889-jpg.jpg

img_4890-jpg.jpg

Rather than try to figure out what was going on with the FAST timing control my son decided to pull the FAST distributor back out and replace it with the MSD that we'd run before and let the MSD equipment take over the duties.

img_4891-jpg.jpg

img_4892-jpg.jpg

img_4893-jpg.jpg

Things get confusing when you're dealing with 3 sets of schematics. Of course there was the original wiring from the Roadrunner and it had been converted over to an electronic ignition instead of the points setup. Then there was the modifications made to wire in the MSD control box and distributor. Then we had further modified the wiring when we added the FAST fuel injection. And it got even more confusing when we switched to the FAST distributor and computer controlled timing. I need to document the way we've got the car wired now.

Pulling the FAST distributor out is a no-brainer. Wiring the MSD into a stock wired car is fairly simple too. But trying to reverse engineer this car away from the computer controls back to MSD had us scratching our heads. It's times like these that make me believe that a computer in the garage is essential.

We ran into problems when we removed the ignition signal from the MSD box that went to the FAST computer. Our first thought was that it was unnecessary if the FAST controller wasn't going to control ignition timing anymore. When we couldn't get the fuel pump to stay running or the injectors to fire we reread the manual and studied the schematics again. Without an ignition signal the FAST controller will not operate the pump or injectors. OK. We hooked a signal wire back to the ECU again. We were back in business.

After resetting the built in setup Wizard program for the fuel injection it was time to test drive again. Before dropping the billet distributor back in we had set it with what we'd hoped would be the correct springs and bushing to allow our advance to come in fully by 3200 RPM and give us an additional 28' from idle. We crossed our fingers and backed out of the garage.

Power sucked big time. - And it got worse the more we drove. Eventually it started popping and backfiring. After a few miles we limped it back home.

I was fairly confident that we had everything wired correctly. We decided to run a compression check. We did it dry and all of the cylinders read almost identical. 7 at 130ish and 1 at 125ish. Confident that our valve train was unlikely to have been the cause of our backfire and low power I re-installed the plugs and wires. That's when I noticed a badly burnt wire to #4 cylinder. My son had been working the passenger side and had not been careful enough when he routed the wiring when we made the distributor swap. I suspect that there may have been an issue with the order on that bank also.

After buttoning it back up we fired it up and I set the initial timing at 19' advanced. It purred like a kitten and there was no longer any sign of missing or backfiring. Throttle response seemed good in the garage but we didn't have a load on it yet. As much as I'd have liked to have taken it out for another test run it was getting late and we decided not to piss of the neighbors. (That's why I want to get moved back out to the farm. - The cattle never complain.)

Tomorrow's another day. We'll take it out then and find out if we were successful.

Our Lady of Speed, Pray for Us!

View attachment IMG_4889.jpg

View attachment IMG_4890.jpg

View attachment IMG_4891.jpg

View attachment IMG_4892.jpg

View attachment IMG_4893.jpg

Last edited:
Oh joy, on the sending unit screws...

I could have tried finishing up the tank before we started on the Roadrunner but sometimes these jobs that seem small turn into a struggle that takes a full day or more. I hope it goes easy when I get to them. I really need to flush the tank too. While it's out there's no sense in skipping that step.

Last edited:
Gas tanks generally suck. I always plan on all day job with them.....:protest:

Good luck with it.:D

interesting on the fast 2.0, had throttle cable trouble w/ mine, due to the closeness of the raised port heads to the firewall. getting ready to fire it again today, got to playing around last time w/ the tuning, going to start all over now.

As soon as I got finished posting the update on this thread last night I went out to move Teresa's Sebring from the street to the backyard. It was after 1:00 am and local law enforcement must have been excited to have found an excuse to write me a citation. The paperwork was on the windshield. I'm glad that they've got better things to concentrate on than trying to catch the thieves that have been plaguing our farm. When I wanted them to keep an eye on my property this is not what I had in mind.

Tuesday morning we were grinning ear to ear during the test drive. Everything seemed to be running so much better. There's still a slight lag during initial acceleration but the system is having to 'learn' again after it was reset. The interface does allow us to adjust for an increase in fuel when the throttle is hit but for now we'll wait and see how much improvement we'll get as the system modifies itself during the next few weeks.

img_4897-jpg.jpg

As soon as we arrived back home we moved the Charger into the garage. No sense in dragging our feet. I had thought we'd be welding the subframe connectors on with the car in the driveway but the shop space is clear enough that we had plenty of room to work in.

img_4898-jpg.jpg

img_4899-jpg.jpg

img_4901-jpg.jpg

img_4902-jpg.jpg

We used the cherry picker to lift the front end as we slid that ATV lift that I'd bought to use for transmission service underneath the K-frame. We found that when you over-centered it, - it cannot collapse and will stay locked in at full height. We used a pair of floor jacks to lift the back end and placed jack stands beneath the rear subframe. The setup may have been a far cry from as nice as using a lift but it provided adequate room for welding.

img_4903-jpg.jpg

img_4904-jpg.jpg

img_4905-jpg.jpg

img_4906-jpg.jpg

img_4907-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4897.jpg

View attachment IMG_4898.jpg

View attachment IMG_4899.jpg

View attachment IMG_4901.jpg

View attachment IMG_4902.jpg

View attachment IMG_4903.jpg

View attachment IMG_4904.jpg

View attachment IMG_4905.jpg

View attachment IMG_4906.jpg

View attachment IMG_4907.jpg

Last edited:
With the bottom of the floor coated with POR-15 we knew we were going to have to do some prep work prior to welding. We used a pair of floor jacks to hold the subframe connectors in place while I crawled underneath and scribed an outline of them with a silver pencil. Then I took a 4" angle grinder with a flapper disc and removed the paint from the areas we would be welding.

img_4908-jpg.jpg

img_4909-jpg.jpg

We had fit these connectors to the floor before and had to do a bit of grinding in a few areas to match the floor's contour. The fit was really good. There were a few areas with gaps but we knew we could knock the floor down to close them after we had the majority of the welding done.

img_4910-jpg.jpg

img_4911-jpg.jpg

img_4912-jpg.jpg

Our plan had been to weld a 4-4 pattern. 4" of weld/4" gap across the length. With all of the strange contours and seat brackets, etc we decided to divvy up our welds to wherever they would seem to do the most good instead. I really like this Miller welder. Despite welding overhead to two different metal thicknesses and across remnants of some POR-15 it worked great. Cross one more thing off my 'To Do' list.

We were out of POR-15 so we'll have to get more so we can re-coat the floor. We'll try some of Eastwood's zinc coating on the inside of the subframe connectors. It comes with a long nozzle that should reach everywhere from the drain holes.

img_4913-jpg.jpg

img_4917-jpg.jpg

img_4918-jpg.jpg

img_4920-jpg.jpg

I tried calling Hemidenny to get an update on the new K-member but didn't get an answer. He thought he'd have it done around the end of March. I'm still hoping we can get it while my son is here.

View attachment IMG_4908.jpg

View attachment IMG_4909.jpg

View attachment IMG_4910.jpg

View attachment IMG_4911.jpg

View attachment IMG_4912.jpg

View attachment IMG_4913.jpg

View attachment IMG_4917.jpg

View attachment IMG_4918.jpg

View attachment IMG_4920.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back