Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Did you ever get that MRL stroker running right?

After I changed out the spark plugs that had come with it the problem I was having went away. I had noticed the soot on my spark plug boots and it didn't look as though it was coming from the exhaust gaskets. When I examined the heads I noticed that the spark plug holes were tapered but Mike had non-tapered seat plugs in it. When I changed to tapered seat plugs the soot issue went away and the engine ran great.

I called and talked to Mike and he said that those heads should have been capable of using either style of plugs. Maybe I wasn't torquing them down tight enough to make them seal but I was cautious because the heads are aluminum and I didn't want to damage the threads.

I have kept so busy that I've only been driving the Barracuda a few times per week through winter and just around town. The last few times out it developed a backfire when cold that disappears after a minute or so. I may have to re-check the plugs again. - Been too busy with other things to pull it back into the garage. It still runs great once it's warmed up. I ran it through the gears hard a few times yesterday when my son was here. He hadn't ridden in the car since I had the 318 in it. It definitely shoves you back in the seat.

Last edited:
The parts arrived from member d5667 a few days ago. I hadn't had a chance to look at them because we had our hands full with the work on the Charger and Roadrunner. Don came through with flying colors! Everything looked every bit as good as he said. I can't express enough how grateful I am to him for spending the time to dig through his stockpile for the things I needed. I hope to someday be able to repay him with some of my excess inventory.

The jack was painted blue but it has an aluminum body. As I stripped the paint off of it I thought maybe I should polish it instead of painting it black. I don't ever plan on actually using it but I needed to replace my original one that had the body shattered.

img_4924-jpg.jpg

The glove box latch was pristine but I hit it with the buffer just to give it a bit more shine.

img_4922-jpg.jpg

The door handles are not pitted. I'm really surprised because most of them that old that I've seen are.

img_4921-jpg.jpg

The J-bolt and retaining nut had a light coat of corrosion but the wire wheel cleaned them right up. I don't think they were originally supposed to be painted. - But whatever anti-rust coating was on them had long since worn away. A little black paint and they look as good as new.

img_4925-jpg.jpg

These may not seem like major components but finding the missing small parts is sometimes the most difficult. Thanks Don!!!

View attachment IMG_4924.jpg

View attachment IMG_4922.jpg

View attachment IMG_4921.jpg

View attachment IMG_4925.jpg

Last edited:
My son did bring the new Charger cluster with him that he'd bought from Dakota Digital. We placed our faceplate over it and compared it to the original cluster. It looks really nice but I think I might prefer the look of the original with the tic-toc-tach.
img_4928-jpg.jpg

It will be nice to be working with brand new parts. The accuracy should be better too. It does appear as though all of the necessary sensors may be included for the gauges. There is very little wiring that connects directly to the back of this new cluster. That is one thing that will be a blessing.

img_4929-jpg.jpg

After the struggles that we had with the FAST EFI controller I get skittish about more electronics. I haven't read through the instructions yet. We probably won't be installing this for another year or so.

img_4930-jpg.jpg

I know that we'll most likely buy new headlight, dimmer, and wiper switches. Right now it's just a matter of accumulating the parts that we'll need later.

View attachment IMG_4928.jpg

View attachment IMG_4929.jpg

View attachment IMG_4930.jpg

Last edited:
I'm used to having my vehicles outside. It'd be great to be able to house them all. There are severe thunderstorm warnings out for us today. Possible high winds and hail. Time to get as many under the trees as I can.

img_4935-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4935.jpg

Last edited:
I'm used to having my vehicles outside. It'd be great to be able to house them all. There are severe thunderstorm warnings out for us today. Possible high winds and hail. Time to get as many under the trees as I can.

View attachment 1714805655

In central California, as long as the car is painted & maintained, I prefer outside.(Where I am.) Trick is, getting the damn thing painted.)#-o

Excuuuuse my language, but .... HOLY F'IN GUACAMOLE!!!

We survived last night's storm with little more than a really big lightning show. That was a relief. Today I rolled the Charger back out of the garage and went to work on the fuel tank.

The screws still wouldn't budge so I started drilling them out. The tank is plastic so I didn't drill all the way through. When I got to the point where the screw heads popped off I removed the sending unit. - Or I should say that I removed what was left of the sending unit. I know I'm repeating myself but, HOLY F'IN GUACAMOLE!!!

img_4939-jpg.jpg

img_4940-jpg.jpg

img_4941-jpg.jpg

It was gone! Well, not really. The majority of it was rattling around inside the tank. I've never seen anything that bad before. I had expected the inside to be pristine because it's a plastic tank.

The opening was too small to reach my hand inside. - So, I tried to fish the pieces out with a magnet but all I was catching was rust flakes.

Then I turned the tank upside down and tried to grab as many more pieces as I could.

When I finally had gotten most of the big junk out I took the tank to the back lot and flushed it with water. As I sloshed it back and forth I got most of the rest out.

img_4943-jpg.jpg

img_4945-jpg.jpg

Then I added a grease detergent and flushed it several more times.

After that I brought it back to the garage and blew it out until most of the moisture was gone.

I could still hear a few more small chunks rolling around inside so I ran a vacuum cleaner hose inside and sucked them out.

I've still got issues with the tank. I had tried to center my drill bit as well as I could when I drilled out the screws but 5 0f the 6 are off center. I can't catch them with an easy out. I've decided to rotate the sending unit about 8 degrees and drill new holes. The old screws did not protrude all the way into the tank. Instead, the tank has a thick boss around the top and the screws bottom inside of it. I'll see if it's possible to find stainless steel fasteners. I don't expect to ever have to drop the tank again but it'll be nice to know they won't rust anyway.

img_4942-jpg.jpg

img_4946-jpg.jpg

img_4948-jpg.jpg

img_4947-jpg.jpg

Just once, I'd like to have something go as easy as what I thought.

View attachment IMG_4939.jpg

View attachment IMG_4940.jpg

View attachment IMG_4941.jpg

View attachment IMG_4943.jpg

View attachment IMG_4945.jpg

View attachment IMG_4942.jpg

View attachment IMG_4946.jpg

View attachment IMG_4948.jpg

View attachment IMG_4947.jpg

Last edited:
John you know it's never easy with OLD cars. It's the same with OLD men.....

Ya Vince, but they always make it sound so easy in movies, instruction videos, and owner manuals. I should know by now. Heck, just getting out of bed can be a chore some days.

By the way, pardon my French in the previous post. Bet you didn't know I was bilingual.

Last edited:
Roadrunner update:

We are getting really frustrated. My son (Spencer) took his Roadrunner to Columbus, Nebraska Wednesday morning. His plan was to spend a few days there while I worked on other things.

I talked with him on the phone today and he said he wanted me to drive the Barracuda to Columbus to the opening day of FAST & FURIOUS 7. I suppose I could. He'd like us to have the Roadrunner and Barracuda parked side by side outside the theater.

I asked him how the car was running and he said it's back to it's old tricks.

Despite the fact it shows adequate fuel pressure it behaves as though it isn't increasing supply when you try to accelerate. That means that you have to depress the throttle very slowly to prevent it from stumbling badly. When he reset the ECU it ran great again but gradually the problem came back. He reset again and it worked great for awhile but again, the symptoms returned.

We had believed that our problem was due to the computer control of ignition timing. Now that it's being controlled by the MSD equipment we suspect it may have been failure of the injectors to sync with the throttle. I'm not certain that we can rule out our MSD control box yet. Even when the FAST ECU was controlling ignition timing, we were supplying the signal from the MSD box.

I guess we'll be trying to isolate the problem when we get a chance. The problems only seem to show up when we're under load and driving down the road. Maybe we can try to duplicate the condition inside the garage.

One reason why I hesitate to rule out the MSD box is we had difficulty getting the timing light to pick up a signal at times. I thought we had a faulty wire on the timing light but maybe it was actually indicating an issue with spark.

Gas tanks are an all day adventure. Even a simple in tank fuel pump change never goes easy. Crap is always rusted because the gas washes any kind of rust preventative away. The older the vehicle, the worse it is. I hate it. :protest::protest::protest:

I'll give ya two-fiddy cash for the runner.:D

Sometimes things don't go according to plans. When I'm sitting in the garage next to my Duster I reminisce about much of my misspent youth.

10374975_415528675261784_6291501856201412659_n-jpg.jpg

I remember some of the girls I used to date.

capture-jpg.jpg

- And I recall most of the hell I used to raise driving my Mopars when I was young.

10404513_10152885566223464_3278095516707320676_n-jpg.jpg

I've tried to never do anything to harm others but I know how much the legal system can frown upon automotive hi-jinx.

21-public-execution-jpg.jpg

When they come knocking on the door it's impossible to keep them out.

spot_news_-1-jpg.jpg

I haven't always made the best modifications to my vehicles but I've always tried to keep expenses down. It would be easier to give up on the old iron and drive something new.

Some days I think it'd be nice to have a car with air conditioning,

20a3990af2a97b35eb4ba1e8f540c5c8411f286e-jpg.jpg

with a lot of trunk space,

b9be1bc474deeccfd96a06817d8878bb52addcaa-jpg.jpg

some custom bucket seats,

qxffs6rtllnyg5jbelyx-jpg.jpg

and those big diameter wheels that come on new cars.

c81637bb64e1a17391807d50e5da1b95ef83c412-jpg.jpg

But then something actually goes right in the garage and I start to dream of owning a top fueler, finishing my funnycar, and throwing caution to the wind again. I guess my adult life is destined to be as misspent as my youth.

funny-car-jpg.jpg

View attachment 10374975_415528675261784_6291501856201412659_n.jpg

View attachment Capture.JPG

View attachment 10404513_10152885566223464_3278095516707320676_n.jpg

View attachment 21-public-execution.jpg

View attachment spot_news_-1.jpg

View attachment 20a3990af2a97b35eb4ba1e8f540c5c8411f286e.jpg

View attachment b9be1bc474deeccfd96a06817d8878bb52addcaa.jpg

View attachment qxffs6rtllnyg5jbelyx.jpg

View attachment c81637bb64e1a17391807d50e5da1b95ef83c412.jpg

View attachment funny-car.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Abodybomber. It's nights like this when you know I've been listening to that song link that 66340SEDAN sent to me.

Last edited:
Rain again tonight. I guess we can use it because we haven't had a lot of precipitation lately. I won't be driving the Barracuda to the movies tomorrow if the roads are still wet. I like my cheater slicks but sure don't want to fight hydroplaning 30-some miles each way.

Rain again tonight. I guess we can use it because we haven't had a lot of precipitation lately. I won't be driving the Barracuda to the movies tomorrow if the roads are still wet. I like my cheater slicks but sure don't want to fight hydroplaning 30-some miles each way.

Have done a few late night street racing gigs,with M/T Sportsman Pro wrinkle walls aired down(misty weather). Always makes, for an interesting ride home.

John, you gave me a good laugh this morning. I love the guy with the window unit a/c and the generator on the back of the Lincoln. Well back to the real World.

The streets were dry so I drove the Barracuda to Columbus to the movies. The 4.10s still make me feel squeamish on the highway. I don't remember why I had disconnected the tach but I kept wanting to see how much RPM I was running.

The parking lot was packed full of rice grinders so we parked at a nearby Wendys. They may not have chili dogs but their chili is pretty good when combined with a bacon cheeseburger. The Roadrunner may have it's flaws but it still garnishes a fair amount of attention. The two cars side by side stuck out like an oasis in the sea of late models.

My son had wished we could have parked in front of the theater. - Knowing that the FAST & FURIOUS movies usually feature a number of Mopars he had wanted to see people's reactions.

The movie was so-so at best. It didn't fail to deliver on Chrysler products though. There were a few '70 Roadrunners, a '70 Charger, two '68 Chargers, a newer Challenger, and a '73 or '74 'Cuda. They pretty much managed to destroy them all. In my list of favorite 'car' movies the FAST & FURIOUS franchise ranks pretty low. They seem to be more about performing ridiculous stunts that defy the laws of physics and outrageous crash scenes than giving real car guys something to enjoy. But seeing a movie with my son is always enjoyable no matter what.

Driving through Columbus we had a few late model Camaros, Mustangs, and some of those rice grinders pulling alongside revving their motors. At my age I should know enough to ignore them but I couldn't help but get into the throttle enough to show them their world moved at a slower pace than ours.

I'm not real happy with the temperature the engine was running at. The Evans waterless coolant won't boil over but the gauge stayed on the high side when cruising around. It was in the 40s outside so I had the heater on and it was blowing cold. Something is out of whack.

-
Back