Another Mopar Off My Bucket List - Barracuda Fastback

-
Sorry about the pics. They aren't that great.LOL
You can run everything in the engine bay.A friend of mine runs his off the windshield washer bottle and just refills that when he needs.With water/meth you can program how much sprays and the size of nozzle.

I had heard of guys using those washer reservoirs for water or water/methanol injection systems years ago. A system such as you've set up seems more adapted to regular street driving rather than a few bursts down a drag strip. The Charger would probably benefit most from a system like yours.

Last edited:
The night before I left for Iowa I told myself that I had to get something sent to Cuda68Scott. He had sent me that replacement jack for our cherry picker for free and even refused to let us pay for shipping. That goes beyond nice, - I think he may be nuts.

Realizing that he may be insane, I found the perfect gift to send him. - If nothing else maybe I'm showing him that I'm just as insane.

I called him today to confirm that it arrived. When he didn't answer his phone I figured that he might have figured I was so demented as to be potentially dangerous. But, he did give me a call back and we had a bit of a chuckle over the package. I only consider myself dangerous after a plate of baked beans.

Last edited:
From 1974 through 1984 Charles Bronson starred in a series of movies called DEATH WISH.

death-wish-1-2-3-4-5-i-ii-iii-iv-v-poster-posters-charles-bronson-jpg.jpg

I think that if he ever does another film entitled DEATH WISH 6, it could be about him and I hauling another vehicle across state lines.

gif-driving-frightened-jaw-drop-omg-scared-the-simpsons-gif-jpg.jpg

Thursday started out foggy and rainy. It was strange because the wind was blowing too. Normally I would have expected the wind to have cleared the fog. The temperature was hovering around 40' when we left. The p.o.s. Ford is underpowered. It's suspension is way to light. - It has no heater or defroster.

foggy-road-road-to-nowhere-reduced-w-sig-jpg.jpg

The right rear trailer tire has a slow leak. I don't know why but it seems to eat valve stems. I aired it up before we left and hoped for the best. It usually stays up for a day or two.

10440685_10152750718188464_5554809198597664316_n-jpg.jpg

That Challenger is very heavy. It's the heaviest vehicle I've hauled so far. The back of the truck sagged pretty low to the ground and I felt as though I was going to need a whip to get it to pull the load.

Without a working defroster the windshield fogged over and kept fogging over. We had taken along some towels that we used to wipe it off but it was a constant battle. Luckily I had purchased a small 12 volt electric heater this winter. It didn't do a lot of good on top of the dash but it did provide a tiny unobstructed view of the road ahead. It definitely did NOT heat the inside of the truck.

The road was rain slick and having so much weight on the truck's rear bumper meant that there was quite a bit less on the front. With a crosswind blowing the truck felt squirrelly above 55 mph. I need to extend the trailer tongue at least 3 foot longer.

14-jpg.jpg

I had tossed a couple of blankets inside the Ford before we left. I thought I could bundle up and catch some shut eye when I switched off driving with Spencer. As it turned out we used them over our laps to try and stay warm. - We never actually felt anything close to warm but it was better than nothing. My feet suffered the most. To reduce the steaminess of the windshield we cracked our side windows open. It helped visibility but made it even colder inside.

1-3-frostbite-istock-jpg.jpg

What should have been a 3 hour trip ran us closer to 5 hours. The Ford just didn't want to maintain highway speed on the hills.

We made it without major incidents although I still say that there is something wrong with Iowa drivers. I saw a Prius try to change lanes into the side of a semi truck. Sure, he did use his turn signal but he was lucky the truck driver was willing to drive onto the road shoulder. I guess that truck driver doesn't hate Prius's as much as I do.

demotivational-poster-16266-jpg.jpg

images-jpg.jpg

When we got to Des Moines we unloaded the Challenger and got the Jeep ready to take it's place. It hadn't been started in almost a year. The battery was dead. We thought we'd try pushing it onto the trailer. Things were going pretty good until I slipped and fell while pushing. The Jeep was half way onto the trailer so I kept my arms outstretched as I went to the ground. That's when the pain hit. Apparently I tore the rotator cup in my left shoulder. I'd never done that before and I hope I never will again. I hollered at the boys that I couldn't push anymore as I lay on the rain soaked blacktop. Fortunately they had enough momentum to get the Jeep the rest of the way up. - Otherwise it probably would have come rolling back and (at the time) I couldn't move out of the way.

omg-jpg.jpg

I had to have them ratchet it down because I couldn't use my one arm. I actually thought I'd dislocated it at first but when I grabbed it - it was still where it was supposed to be.

The only other concern we had were the streets themselves. The part of Des Moines we were in is full of pot holes.

holey-smoke-car-disappears-sinkhole-jpg.jpg

View attachment death-wish-1-2-3-4-5-i-ii-iii-iv-v-poster-posters-charles-bronson.jpg

View attachment foggy-road-road-to-nowhere-reduced-w-sig.jpg

View attachment 14.jpg

View attachment 1-3-frostbite-istock.jpg

View attachment demotivational-poster-16266.jpg

View attachment images.jpg

View attachment GIF-driving-frightened-jaw-drop-OMG-scared-The-Simpsons-GIF.jpg

View attachment 10440685_10152750718188464_5554809198597664316_n.jpg

View attachment holey-smoke-car-disappears-sinkhole.jpg

View attachment omg.jpg

Last edited:
I had thought about staying an extra day in Iowa but my shoulder hurt like hell. I figured that if I was going to be miserable it might as well be on the way home.

The weather was nice Friday. Lots of sunshine and no rain or fog to worry about. It was pretty windy but I figured that all I had to do was adjust my speed to accommodate. The Cherokee towed a lot easier. I don't know how the weight compares to that Challenger other than to say that it has to be a lot lighter.

The arm bothered me quite a bit while driving in town. I had to make several turns and lane changes. Once I hit the interstate I didn't have to move it much.

With dry roads and a lighter load the Ford still struggled because it isn't very powerful but I was able to maintain 60 mph. It did take about a half a mile to get up to that speed when pulling the Jeep and it did slow going up hills. - But at least I didn't feel as though I was flogging it as I drove.

I had refueled and re-aired the trailer tire before I left. I grabbed a hot cocoa to start me out. The trip back was easy compared to the trip down. I didn't have to white knuckle the steering wheel. When I hit Omaha I made a stop at a Harbor Freight for some tools and a Walmart for some pain killers. My arm was still sore but much better than the day before. With any luck I'll be using it again in another day or so. I might be too optimistic for once.

Sounds like a trip from hell.

I'm not sure if I could cope with a road trip that didn't have me fearing for my life. LOL. I don't usually need caffeine to stay awake because I'm too afraid to close my eyes. With my luck, if I bought the perfect cushy tow rig I'd fall asleep at the wheel.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I could cope with a road trip that didn't have me fearing for my life. LOL. I don't usually need caffeine to stay awake because I'm too afraid to close my eyes. With my luck, if I bought the perfect cushy tow rig I'd fall asleep at the wheel.

I'm happy to know that you made it back.
although the shoulder issue you suffered I can relate to. It can be a very painful injury. I pray you will mend up well and quickly. After all, you do have a lot of items to get crossed off the list before summer hits.

There are a number of 'Cuda builds that I've been following on FABO. Yours is the closest to looking like a sister to my own. Because it is, yours is one of the most interesting to me.

I'd probably have to win the lottery to be able to travel to shows very far from home. Even the local shows that I attend cost money and time that I should be putting into the cars. I don't think I'd want to traverse any mountains without really sound transportation. I really wish that you were closer. Who knows, maybe I'll hit the jackpot some day.

When I got home from Iowa there were several boxes that had arrived. The heat exchangers, alternator, power steering pump, brackets and pulleys are here. I've started test fitting components already. If my arm is up to it I should have things put together tomorrow. It already appears as though I'll have to do some grinding on one of the Edelbrock heads for the steering bracket.

HemiDenny says he's close to finished with the new K-member so it shouldn't be too long before I'm checking clearances inside the car.

Last edited:
There are a number of 'Cuda builds that I've been following on FABO. Yours is the closest to looking like a sister to my own. Because it is, yours is one of the most interesting to me.

I'd probably have to win the lottery to be able to travel to shows very far from home. Even the local shows that I attend cost money and time that I should be putting into the cars. I don't think I'd want to traverse any mountains without really sound transportation. I really wish that you were closer. Who knows, maybe I'll hit the jackpot some day.

I'd love the visit.
Your welcome anytime my friend.
I do plan on driving extended distances with my car eventually. My wife and I have talked about doing just that sooner than later.
I agree with you about our two cars. They need to meet some day.
:burnout:

I'd love the visit.
Your welcome anytime my friend.
I do plan on driving extended distances with my car eventually. My wife and I have talked about doing just that sooner than later.
I agree with you about our two cars. They need to meet some day.
:burnout:

I don't know why, but I think yours looks prettier. Maybe it's that fresh paint or the gloss charcoal on the hood.
:prayer:

Last edited:
I went back to working on the brackets this morning. The instructions were explicit but still a bit hard to follow. Maybe it's just me.

I had a few of the spacers swapped around and once I corrected that things lined up better. I still had to notch that Edelbrock head though.

I marked the area where I needed the clearance with a colored marking pen.

img_4986-jpg.jpg

img_4985-jpg.jpg

Yesterday when I stopped at Harbor Freight I purchased some toothed wheels for my Dremel tool. Abrasive discs tend to gall up and are slow. These blades made it a lot easier for cutting aluminum.

img_4996-jpg.jpg

img_4997-jpg.jpg

img_4998-jpg.jpg

I felt the casting thickness to make sure that I wasn't going to grind a hole in the head. They're not cast as thick as I would have liked in that area so I had to stay conservative with my cut. As long as I had room to put a nut on the bolt and clearance for a wrench I was satisfied. Normally you'd be able to remove the head without first taking out the power steering pivot bolt but you can't with the way I've notched it. It's a minor concern and most likely we'd never pull the head off without removing the pump first anyway.

The notch took about 10 minutes to cut. It could have been done faster but that toothed blade likes to grab and I was being cautious so that it didn't jump and gouge the face of the head.

img_4991-jpg.jpg

After making the notch I test fit the head to make sure I'd gained the clearance that I needed.

img_4988-jpg.jpg

img_4989-jpg.jpg

img_4990-jpg.jpg

View attachment IMG_4986.jpg

View attachment IMG_4985.jpg

View attachment IMG_4996.jpg

View attachment IMG_4997.jpg

View attachment IMG_4998.jpg

View attachment IMG_4991.jpg

View attachment IMG_4988.jpg

View attachment IMG_4989.jpg

View attachment IMG_4990.jpg

Last edited:
nice job..
As far as my car being prettier, I think you need your eyes checked. Yours is a driver and mine is a static trophy in the garage. L.O.L!!!
They are always prettier when they are used.
I do like your custom fish stripe on the back, mine is still a little plain.
Not sure if you noticed, but the hood inserts on mine isn't from a 67. I got those from a 68 because mine were badly pitted and I like the smooth look of the 68's better.
Purist's are not happy i'll bet

nice job..
As far as my car being prettier, I think you need your eyes checked. Yours is a driver and mine is a static trophy in the garage. L.O.L!!!
They are always prettier when they are used.
I do like your custom fish stripe on the back, mine is still a little plain.
Not sure if you noticed, but the hood inserts on mine isn't from a 67. I got those from a 68 because mine were badly pitted and I like the smooth look of the 68's better.
Purist's are not happy i'll bet

I didn't notice the hood inserts but I did notice that you chose to leave off the P L Y M O U T H lettering from your front header panel. - I switched to a '68 grill in mine.

Last edited:
I didn't notice the hood inserts but I did notice that you chose to leave off the P L Y M O U T H lettering from your front header panel. - I switched to a '68 grill in mine.

I did in deed. I like the smoothes out clean look. I filled in most of the badging with exception of the fish on the trunk and hood and also kept the Barracuda badge on the drivers side fender.
Are you still using the re-covered bench seat?
I seem to remember you saying that you kept it.
I picked up 66 Barracuda buckets that use the same frames as each other. the 66 seats have the chrome trimmed seat shells on the sides and the vinyl covered metal seat backs. I'll be recovering them in black leather. Thats the plan anyways.
Also, I tried to look up Metromopar and had no luck with him.

Good choice on the grill change. They repoped those but not for the 67's. I had to rebuild mine but I almose made the switch just as you did.

I did in deed. I like the smoothes out clean look. I filled in most of the badging with exception of the fish on the trunk and hood and also kept the Barracuda badge on the drivers side fender.
I picked up 66 Barracuda buckets that use the same frames as each other. the 66 seats have the chrome trimmed seat shells on the sides and the vinyl covered metal seat backs. I'll be recovering them in black leather. Thats the plan anyways.
Also, I tried to look up Metromopar and had no luck with him.

Ya. I agree that the front looks a lot cleaner without the lettering. Did you send a message to Metromopar or just check to see what he had for sale? I would think that whoever made the trim that I bought must have made more. Classic Industries does sell them but they're around $145 each without shipping.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mn1406.html

Last edited:
Good choice on the grill change. They repoped those but not for the 67's. I had to rebuild mine but I almose made the switch just as you did.

I intentionally made the switch to the '68 style. It was one of the things on my wish list. I've always liked the '67 tail lights better than 68 or 69 but I liked the '68 grills over the 67 or 69s. I'm glad to see that you added the window trim also. I never thought they looked complete without it.

Last edited:

I did keep the original bench in mine. It had already been re-upholstered with a custom pattern and extra padding which made it very comfortable. I did have to have an upholstery shop repair part of it though.

Last edited:
I just checked his site out. I plan to send him a message in the next couple of days.
pictures of
I also like the 68 grill better and it looks like it would be easier to clean as well.
I temperarily installed all my interior trim for fitment today. now that I know it will all fit as it should, I;ll take it all off and finish wiring my interior lights and run my back up light wiring. Then it can go back in perminantly. I think. It seems that as soon as I say such a thing it jinks's it and I get to do it all over again.
By the way, my son thinks that your Duster is really cool. He remembers seeing pictures of my Duster from when I was in the Navy and now he wants to find one and tackle another build. Sheesh! He must think I have money just laying around. To be honest I do miss having it. I was stolen from storage when I was in Iraq. Never to enjoy it again. Bumer memorie.

The night before I left for Iowa I told myself that I had to get something sent to Cuda68Scott. He had sent me that replacement jack for our cherry picker for free and even refused to let us pay for shipping. That goes beyond nice, - I think he may be nuts.

Realizing that he may be insane, I found the perfect gift to send him. - If nothing else maybe I'm showing him that I'm just as insane.

https://youtu.be/3BQtJPdLqZo

I called him today to confirm that it arrived. When he didn't answer his phone I figured that he might have figured I was so demented as to be potentially dangerous. But, he did give me a call back and we had a bit of a chuckle over the package. I only consider myself dangerous after a plate of baked beans.

Thanks John, that thing is hilarious! Right after i opened it I went into our bedroom to get some batteries and then I went through the gears. My wife was wondering what all that noise was emanating from the bedroom, and yes I must also register my sphincter as a deadly weapon after a bowl of chili. But I did show the device to her and she was pretty impressed, but I think maybe it started to wear on her after about the 50th time that I ran through the gears. Just can never figure out women. Anyway thanks again, and I got the better deal out of this exchange - you must not have looked very closely at that rusted relic I sent! As slow as I am getting started on my 68, this toy will be the closest thing I have to hearing a engine run around here for a long time.

I just checked his site out. I plan to send him a message in the next couple of days.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the ones I bought but I think it was around $60-80 each.

By the way, my son thinks that your Duster is really cool. He remembers seeing pictures of my Duster from when I was in the Navy and now he wants to find one and tackle another build. Sheesh! He must think I have money just laying around. To be honest I do miss having it. I was stolen from storage when I was in Iraq. Never to enjoy it again. Bumer memorie.

Tell your son I said thanks. I always figure that a Chrysler household is never complete unless the Mopars outnumber the occupants.

Last edited:
Thanks John, that thing is hilarious! Right after i opened it I went into our bedroom to get some batteries and then I went through the gears. My wife was wondering what all that noise was emanating from the bedroom, and yes I must also register my sphincter as a deadly weapon after a bowl of chili. But I did show the device to her and she was pretty impressed, but I think maybe it started to wear on her after about the 50th time that I ran through the gears. Just can never figure out women. Anyway thanks again, and I got the better deal out of this exchange - you must not have looked very closely at that rusted relic I sent! As slow as I am getting started on my 68, this toy will be the closest thing I have to hearing a engine run around here for a long time.

When I was debating what to send my son assured me that thing was too stupid for anyone to want. I kept thinking that it was the type of thing that I'd actually tell Teresa to get me for Christmas. I love stupid novelty items.

Last edited:
-
Back