Another Newb Question!

-

FartDart94

Reaction score
Ok well i was driving the good ole 66 dart today, it has a 273 in it 4bbl. I came to a stop sign. When i went to go i kind of jumped on it and heard a loud clicking sound i panicked not knowing what happened even though i was still able to keep going. Decided to turn onto a little side street and have a look. Everything seemed to be ok. So i just went on. :/ Its my daily driver and i only notice the clicking noise when i jump on it a little now. Don't know what it is. Any input would help! Thanks

Clicking noise like "pinging" from the engine?

Does it only do it upon excelleration?

Might try backing off the timing a little, and/or higher octane gas if it is pinging.

you didnt say where noise came from, but if under hood, could your fan be hitting the shroud or maybe a tranny line when engine lifts? if under car could be a driveshaft issue , hitting ebrake line or even a ujoint issue.

trans mount loose or broken causing drive line to contact something,
worn out or bad u-joint, both can make a clicking noise under hard accel.

Exhaust leak ?
I haven't seen anything posted yet that it couldn't be.
Define " clicking ".
Pretty tough to diagnose without more info.
It could easily be one problem creating another i.e. bad motor or trans mount causing something to shift and create this " clicking " you hear.

Exhaust leak ?
I haven't seen anything posted yet that it couldn't be.
Define " clicking ".
Pretty tough to diagnose without more info.
It could easily be one problem creating another i.e. bad motor or trans mount causing something to shift and create this " clicking " you hear.

Well It is coming from under the hood. I have a feeling its just the fan. But when i am parked and idling i rev the engine seeing if anything happens and its perfectly fine. I really dont know what/where it could be. It really on happens when im in 1st sitting at a light or stop sigh and jump on it. Its more of a ping sound then a click.

Even if the cause of the clicking is something else, check your motor and trans mounts anyway, often they are broken due to age and spirited driving habits.

My '65 Formula S, 273 Commando, does something like that too. I know everything that was suggested to check is tight on my car. I can't really tell if the sound comes from under the hood, or the dash, but sounds more like it could be from something electrical. It does not sound like it's from a mechanical source. And it doesn't affect the way the car runs.

I dont think there supposed to look like that? Every single one is like it.

IMAG1244.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, you definitely found the source of your noise. What's it hitting? Look top and bottom and you'll find it ... but be careful around those sharp edges for sure.

P.S. Edit

After a second peek it looks like you're missing a lot of metal. Yikes. Good thing you investigated now instead of a week, a couple months or until it cut a hole through your hood. :-D

I also looked at the motor mounts. Left one looks perfect but the right looks weird. I saw that the rubber underneath the metal mount is cracked? Does that have anything to do with it? It is still on there and wont budge. Just kind of worried you know?

Im assuming you bought the car with the fan that way, looks like someone tried to put a fan that was to big on it and had to trim those edges down like that for clearance. If that is the case they amy not have trimmed enough and when you jump on it it torques the motor and cause it to hit. Just a theory

Motors "torque" from one side so it's not surprising that one motor mount looks different than the other. In fact, lots of people chain down the driver's side to keep the movement to a minimum.

If you have any way to lift that side of the motor and check that mount (especially the biscuit), it would probably be a good idea.

-
Back