Another set back. Yay!!!

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
Well, I decided to pull the trans off of my engine so that I can get ready for a stall. Well, this engine that has been covered and in a shed for the past four years is sized up. So now I don't even have an engine for my Duster. I guess I'll pull the heads off and see how bad the walls are. There is no water in the oil or anything. I pulled the plugs, look fine. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I feel like getting rid of it.

Probably not stuck too tight. I'd pull the plugs, spray a generous amount of PB Blaster in the cylinders, replace the plugs and let it sit a few days. Then pull the plugs again, give the cylinders another blast, and try to turn it over with the plugs out.
Dallas

Deep Creep works excellent on rust. I use it now exclusively instead of PB. Still, if it's a performance engine you really should pull the head and check it out. Hopefully the cylinder walls didn't pit too badly and check and see if the cam has any rust on it.

Back in my textile mill days when we had a bearing siezed to a shaft we would spray a solvent on it and apply pressure with a jack and walk away. Next morning the shaft was moved, sometimes dropped in the floor.
Pull the heads and load the cylinders with some type of solvent. Apply pressure to a couple of pistons heading down.

Some great ideas from the members here. These old cars are alot of work to keep up with, but worth all the time & energy when you finally get to enjoy them. Keep the faith.....:happy10:

pull the heads and fill the top end of the cylinders with diesel fuel, always worked great for me. are you re-using the pistons? if not i'd just lube up the walls a bit and smoke them outa there with a hammer.

Okay, tonight Me, my bro, and Dustin pulled the heads off. Some how number two and number three got water in them. They have rust and stuff built up. After some work pounding, wrenching, and breaking one of my Snap-on ratchets. We got it to turn. Looks like it will have to be bored out. So.... I think I am going to find a good little 318 with 904 and throw in it for now. I am going to sell the J heads as rebuilders and save to buy a set of aluminum heads. I think I will also go with a stroker kit since it has to be bored. Any suggestions on what kit? I do want the car to be semi streetable as it will get driven.

If anyone wants the J heads, please let me know. If not. I'll throw them on the 318.

If your not looking for alot of Hp numbers just go with a basic eagle cast stroker kit. Will be more than enough for street use. They are probably the cheapest kit out there.

-
Back