..........anti virus.........

-
Re-new the Norton ...i use Norton and i never have problems

i dont give them too much money i keep it simple with the "internet Security" only ...all the other packages they have are not really necassary IMO

I almost hesitate to say this, but I remove computer halting virus's from a lot of Norton protected machines.
I use Comodo free AV with firewall, and highly recommend it.

Windows Defender stock in Win7 and up. It was the stand alone GIANT AV until Microsoft bought it in 2004. Works great when the PC is allowed to update itself. I have used it since Win7 with no hits, and I used AVG prior to that with 1 issue that was taken care of the next day with an AVG patch. NOD32 is awesome if you can use it. Not really an antivirus but more of a bulletproof firewall that has (supposedly) never been breached.

............Thanks guys......do i have to remove the norton 1st..........kim..........
This right here is my general rollout for no-dough machines. Occasionally I'll throw Spybot on there too, just to have an extra tool for finding/eliminating spyware.

Oh...Give ccleaner a look, too. Very useful tool for cleaning up otherwise-problematic machines...The registry-cleaning feature is immensely useful.

go to www.download.com and download AVG free edition antivirus. Works great. I also run CCleaner and Super Antispyware free edition, both also available at download.com. The combination seems to keep my pc's trouble free.

I get them all for free even Norton and I still use avg free and malwarebytes I've tested them all even used some really nasty worms I made and those two worked the best avast is also a good one and yes remove Norton it is a lag on slower PC’s

Free good Antivirus programs,
AVG
Comodo
Kapersky
Nod32
And a few others.

Free good malware programs,
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
Spybot S&D
And a few others

Windows defender is a malware and antivirus program that works ok.
Microsoft security essentials is both, and also works ok.

Ccleaner is only a temp file remover and registry scan/repair program but the bad stuff that gets into Windows sometimes goes to a temp file first before getting installed.
We highly recommend Ccleaner be run EVERY TIME one leaves the computer, so that any possible junk that may be waiting for a reboot to install get's removed before it can.
There are a ton of oppinions on this and one thing is guaranteed.
You WILL get infected at some point with any program you use (It's just a matter of time)
Malware and virus designers are constantly working to infect Windows, and as some of you already know, they occasionally succeed no matter what AV you use.

It a battle of good vs evil in the infection world, and sometimes good looses, sometimes evil looses. (But they both have thier day)

Hardware firewalls (routers) work pretty well along with a good antivirus and antimalware combination.
The computer I am on right now is my main system and it has Comodo Internet Security with firewall, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner and I am also behind two routers (We have a pretty extensive network here) due to all the game and internet devices.

I also sometimes use this computer to disinfect customer systems so this computer is often in direct contact with virus and malware infections. (I use Comodo with firewall)
In 2002 when Malware first reared it's ugly head we were considered the top authority in our area for solutions to these infections. (still are)
Back then nobody even knew what Malware was, but it was wreaking havoc with service pack installations in Windows ME and XP.
Most failed service pack installations were due to Malware infections corrupting the service pack files, but hardly anyone knew why. (not even the large chain stores)

So,,,If you are looking for an oppinion from someone who knows and deals with this stuff on a daily basis, you found one.

In our professional oppinion, there is zero advantage to a "paid for" antivirus program because they will ALL fail to do thier job eventually so why spend money on one.
Paying for one does not make the program any better at staying ahead of the curve.

The actual progams that one uses is WAY more important than how popular they are, or how much they advertize.

The best protection you can have is ONE good antivirus program, two or three good malware blockers/removers, and a decent malware killer program so you can recover from an infection when it happens, and a hardware firewall (Router)

There is usually one common problem when I see infected systems though.
(The user didn't keep up with the maint of the programs, or use them regularly)

So my recommendation would be Comodo Internet Security. Free version
Malwarebytes Antimalware. Free version
Superantispyware. Free version
Ccleaner. Free
A decent router between your modem and computer.

And most important would be YOU keeping up with the updates and scans on a regular basis.

This is of course above and beyond Windows security updates and program updates like Oracle's Java. (Oracle's virus gate as I call it)

I went with Trailbeast on this and went with the Comodo but when I got it they offered a year of the Pro version for 5 bucks so why not eh ? I've use there online Geekbuddy real time tech support for help with non security stuff associated with Toshibas proprietary BIOS a couple of times and all in all it's been a great deal , I also keep SpybotSD and Malewarebytes going for free for a little backup . I used to be an AVG guy for 3 years I had a cracked version of their Commercial Pro software running but they finally caught up and sent me a notice about needing to register my Illegal copy which is what prompted my switch to Comodo eh LOL I always thought it a little ironic that I was able to constantly update my pirate copy on their server when they are in the security business but I get a kick out quirky things like that eh !

LOL I don't know why you guys beat your heads into the wall.

Shrink your Winhozed partition.

Download some free version of Linux, IE Linux Mint

Install on the unused part of the hard drive, dual boot. Pretty much sets right up

No product key, no activation, it's free, no virus protection needed.
It comes with Firefox. You might have to add "AdBlock" to Firefox (Mozilla)

You can transfer files from Linux to your Winhozed partition. This means that if you are surfin' around and find some file you want for Winhozed, you can download it in Linux, and transfer or save it to the Windows drive.

So for those programs that you MUST have Whinedows, you'll have dual boot

I now have an older Thinkpad with Xtra Putrid and Linux Mint. The XP is used ONLY for my Holley EFI programming, and the shop manual for my Ford Ranger, and never "sees" the internet. If I want to look something up, I reboot to Linux, and can surf without fear of "crap" getting in.

Linux IS NOT perfect. Sometimes there are hardware issues. BUT Winehoard is not perfect either, or else we would not be talking here!!! AND you paid a lot of money for Winshi#

I go for months at a time without booting up Windows. I edit my photos (GIMP) use either "Open Office" or "Libre Office" either of which can open Microshaft office and other docs, I can print, do everything you can do except for some proprietary programs, like maybe some bookeeping/ tax programs or other proprietary software.

Install on the unused part of the hard drive, dual boot. Pretty much sets right up

You can transfer files from Linux to your Winhozed partition. This means that if you are surfin' around and find some file you want for Winhozed, you can download it in Linux, and transfer or save it to the Windows drive.

I now have an older Thinkpad with Xtra Putrid and Linux Mint. The XP is used ONLY for my Holley EFI programming, and the shop manual for my Ford Ranger, and never "sees" the internet. If I want to look something up, I reboot to Linux, and can surf without fear of "crap" getting in.

Linux IS NOT perfect. Sometimes there are hardware issues. BUT Winehoard is not perfect either, or else we would not be talking here!!! AND you paid a lot of money for Winshi#

I go for months at a time without booting up Windows. I edit my photos (GIMP) use either "Open Office" or "Libre Office" either of which can open Microshaft office and other docs, I can print, do everything you can do except for some proprietary programs, like maybe some bookeeping/ tax programs or other proprietary software.

Del,
Most people don't have a clue what you are talking about, let alone be able to do it.
1 out of 25 might be able to download it and burn the image. (Maybe)

WOW! Were you really offering advice or just demonstrating how many word parodies for Windows, Microsoft, XP etc you could use in a post? :?

-
Back