Any 10 second "All Throttle" 318's in door cars ?

-
I know justmoparjoe, he's a friend. That video you posted has some controversy about it.... I think it has a 4" arm in it. Don't remember the details or the whole story, but I remember something about it.
It is a 318 wink wink nudge nudge

This car was out of Spokane .It ran in the 70s and 80s.
Dennis Radford out of Baker City bought it in the mid 80s and ran it for many years here in the Northwest. Then he went big with Pro Mod Vipers and Dakotas etc….

Ahhh, that name sounds familiar. Didn’t he had a Daytona or maybe a Mitsubishi with a W5 engine in it? And maybe he ended up with an Ex Pro Stock Truck too.

I’d do both except I’m not of the deep pocket sort….

:rofl:

Ahhh, that name sounds familiar. Didn’t he had a Daytona or maybe a Mitsubishi with a W5 engine in it? And maybe he ended up with an Ex Pro Stock Truck too.
He may have had a Daytona but the Mitsubishi doesnt ring a bell.
The Dakota Pro Stock was driven by his wife Judy.
Dennis went on to work as a crew chief for a well known midwest Pro Mod racer for a few years . He told me that the guy paid him in Hemicars when he retired and asked me if I was interested in 1 of 2 Hemi Roadrunners or a 70 Hemi Cuda … I said probably not then rethought it but by that time he had already sold them . Shoulda moved on the survivor 4sp runner for $35k.

Here were 2 of his cars.
C4C70568-B3D2-4D01-A811-F9AFF23AD6C8.png

It wasn’t a 318.
Pretty sure it was a 318. There's probably posts in the old Moparchat forum from about 20 years ago with him describing the build. He went by cuda66273 in that forum. That was one of the popular Mopar forums back in the day. He has a few videos of the car on his website FBO Ignition - Home of the HRR688. In the video linked below, it looks to me like an 11.21 dial in. While not 10's, pretty darn close.

I don't know the specifics of the car, email them and find out. Maybe its in the tuning book he sells. Light racecar, hot engine build, big stall converter and transbrake; i don't see why it couldn't be done. Most would likely put the money to build a hot engine into a larger cube block. But if you want to prove something with a 318, why couldn't it be done?

At some point you should figure out which parts that you have laying around are going to play well together. Personally I don't like to see an extreme mismatched combination.
I know you don't have any ET goals but choosing the best combination from the parts you have or are willing to acquire could be a good goal to set. I suspect this is what you are already going to do. If you are considering a re-ground hydraulic roller cam this will probably be the rpm limiting component in your build. Once you know the rpm limit you can choose the rest of your combination to compliment that rpm range.
I have seen motors on my dyno that never get to peak horsepower because they float out (hydraulic rollers) or don't have the bottom end to support the rpms needed to get there. Personally I sometimes feel disappointed when I see that but my customers most of the time are not. They are usually stoked just to see it run.

Last edited:
At some point you should figure out which parts that you have laying around are going to play well together. Personally I hate to see an extreme mismatched combinatio.
I know you don't have any ET goals but choosing the best combination from the parts you have or are willing to aquire could be a good goal to set. I suspect this is what you are already trying to do. If you are considering a reground hydraulic roller cam this will probably be the rpm limiting component in your build. Once you know that you can choose the rest of your combination to compliment that rpm range.
I have seen motors on my dyno that never get to peak horsepower because they float out (hydraulic rollers) or don't have the bottom end to support the rpms needed to get there. Personally i sometimes feel disappointed when I see that but my customers most of the time are not. They are usually stoked just to see it run.
Generally speaking, I would get a cam to match the heads and intake, the C.I., and compression. All of it will have focus around the heads as that is the major component I have laying around.

A 318 is just a de-bored 340, very easy to make 500 hp using stock internals with 340 cast heads .550 lift 250 @ .050.
I would challenge the "very easy" part because if it was very easy only needing a set of 340 heads and cam, you'd see a ton of 500 hp 318's out there. There was thread out there a while back about 500 hp 318's and I don't think any came forward on all throttle.

Generally speaking, I would get a cam to match the heads and intake, the C.I., and compression. All of it will have focus around the heads as that is the major component I have laying around.
@318willrun are your SM heads ported?
He needs to get them to pittsburghracer before he's all booked up. lol :D
he has a few extra pair, maybe just an exchange.

Pretty sure it was a 318. There's probably posts in the old Moparchat forum from about 20 years ago with him describing the build. He went by cuda66273 in that forum. That was one of the popular Mopar forums back in the day. He has a few videos of the car on his website FBO Ignition - Home of the HRR688. In the video linked below, it looks to me like an 11.21 dial in. While not 10's, pretty darn close.

I don't know the specifics of the car, email them and find out. Maybe its in the tuning book he sells. Light racecar, hot engine build, big stall converter and transbrake; i don't see why it couldn't be done. Most would likely put the money to build a hot engine into a larger cube block. But if you want to prove something with a 318, why couldn't it be done?

It was a 318, block that is lol, he had a 4" crank and edelbrock heads etc. He went 12s when it was all 318 but still had the edelbrock heads. He is/was local to me and @Rat Bastid -he actually worked with him for a while.

I don't like the intakes I have on hand for the "per say" build. I will only use a single plane. Most likely be cheaper to buy local because of shipping. Still looking ..... i have time :)

I don't like the intakes I have on hand for the "per say" build. I will only use a single plane. Most likely be cheaper to buy local because of shipping. Still looking ..... i have time :)
Excellerator would be a great choice, can usually find them pretty cheap. Last one I bought was 125

Id like a single plane and 750 Holley for my 340 just to be able to swap back and forth from 750 Eddy and dual plane setup....

-
Back