Any advice for pulling the steering wheel

-

grassy

Reaction score
Folks,

I need to take the steering wheel of my '75 Duster.

My puller tongs are too large to fit between the steering wheel and the collar. Not sure if I should put some penetrating oil on the shaft.

The manual says not to pry or band the wheel off.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
ian.

Hey Dartman,

Wife/son are out fundraising and I figured I will change the collar on the steering wheel and have it done before they came home.. Dead in the water at the moment.

Can you rent those or do I have to buy ? ..and where ? Remember, I live in the sticks :)

Thanks
Ian.

I got one at princess auto for cheap. CTC will also have them for until $20.00

Will check to see if I have the stuff to make one ..if not,off to Cantire to buy one for under 20 bucks.
Thanks all.
Ian :)

Years ago before I had a puller,I would put some penetrating oil down the splined area.Back the not off til flush with the shaft,while pulling up on the steering wheel with my left hand I would smack the nut with a big hammer.Rotate the steering wheel and hit again while pulling.This is not the best way to do this,but has worked for me before.If you try this,Do Not Damage the Shaft,make sure nut is flush with shaft.Good Luck

Years ago before I had a puller,I would put some penetrating oil down the splined area.Back the not off til flush with the shaft,while pulling up on the steering wheel with my left hand I would smack the nut with a big hammer.Rotate the steering wheel and hit again while pulling.This is not the best way to do this,but has worked for me before.If you try this,Do Not Damage the Shaft,make sure nut is flush with shaft.Good Luck
this works- or, if you come down to trying the brute force 'wiggle and pull' method, be sure to leave the nut on the same way- saves catching a steering wheel across the forehead when it comes off:D

Steering assembly is out of car..off to Cantire tomorrow..

Thanks
ian.

Having done the brute force /smack the nut thing I would recommend never doing this , the column in my 77 gp daily flops around from doing this , it took the outer bearing out of the column and I have spent the last few years wonderimng nif the whole thing is going to come out in my lap while I'm driving definitely get or make a puller

make or buy the puller I had my 65 barracuda wheel sold for 75$ and tried the gentle brut force and it exploded in my hand felt gr8 took 2 minutes to get the rest off with the hammer and screw driver uhg

Loosen the nut to just above the end of the shaft. Put your knees behind the wheel, push up, and smack the nut with a hammer.

this works- or, if you come down to trying the brute force 'wiggle and pull' method, be sure to leave the nut on the same way- saves catching a steering wheel across the forehead when it comes off:D

LOL X2 I did this on a 75 duster when I was 17. I took the nut off....grabbed the wheel, pushed on the floor with my legs.... Broke my nose and knocked me clean out. ah the good ol' days :banghead:

We should have something on this site to keep track of funny stores. Player1up, you almost had me in tears because I could see that happening to me.

Went to find the heavy duty puller at Cantire ..they just redid the store and no one (even the staff) knows where anything is :) So I stop and ask buddy at the parts counter for it ...he dissapears and returned with a box that he hands me ...I loom at it and I know it costs more than the catalog price of 14.95 ...I tells hi that this looks great for under 15 bucks when he tells me that it is a free 3 day loaner. Huh ? Go figure. Took me almost 2 minutes to attach and pull that sucker.

So Can tire is a source of free use tools. Learned something today.

The wheel is off..parts being painted and now just modding the automatic tube..hope to have it back together tonight.

It is great working on the car again...and being part of this forum.

Ian.

At about 12 years old I needed a flywheel puller for a Briggs and Straton 3hp push mower. A short bike ride to a small engine repair shop where we bought used mowers.
Mr. Beako (spelt) put a small steel block in my hand that had 2 holes drilled through and a pair of bolts. " You'll have this back here before sundown , right? "
A few years later when I saw the same draw holes in the steering wheel hub I knew what I needed to make. Today I have 4 total. 3 small that have fixed hole spacing, 1 is about 5 inches long with slotted holes.

00674_PHESseries.jpg

This is nice......^.....nothing beats the right tool for the job..

The correct tool would be nice. For me every the correct method is to grab both sides of the wheel, plant your feet in the floor, wiggle side to side with the steering wheel nut partially off. And yank hard while screaming. It will pop off. If you leave the nut all the way off your hands will experience knocking your own lights out.

The correct tool would be nice. For me every the correct method is to grab both sides of the wheel, plant your feet in the floor, wiggle side to side with the steering wheel nut partially off. And yank hard while screaming. It will pop off. If you leave the nut all the way off your hands will experience knocking your own lights out.

I have seen people crack perfect steering wheels that way. Back when I was young I used to do it that way but no longer.

-
Back