Any alfaOBD wizzards on here?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got the app the other day and I'm playing with it on the wife's car

It is an 2015 pursuit charger
I was trying to remove "police lighting" because that is what messes with the door locks and such

Now, the ONLY change I made was switching that police lights function off and it gave me an airbag warning

I can clear it, but it comes right back on...my guess is it's somewhere I need to change a line item but I have no idea where

(If I turn the police light back on, the airbag light disappears)

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20240222-202544_AlfaOBD.jpg

Screenshot_20240222-202553_AlfaOBD.jpg

Check your "vehicle line". It is noted in the last picture.
I use AlfaOBD for my Gen 4 2500 Cummins. I also have an issue with the ABS or AirBag system depending on which "vehicle line" I have set.
Make sure you make a back-up file first!!!

Check your "vehicle line". It is noted in the last picture.
I use AlfaOBD for my Gen 4 2500 Cummins. I also have an issue with the ABS or AirBag system depending on which "vehicle line" I have set.
Make sure you make a back-up file first!!!
Thanks, I'll see tomorrow if I can figure that out

I made a back up (that was the first thing I did) but when I uploaded it to Google drive it didn't look like I think it should

I'm no expert but I did help with getting Launch Control working on the later Challengers and such.

Can't tell you why your backup looks like code instead of text lines, but my guess is that a backup isn't the same as a read. The other thing is, the AlfaOBD developer does a pretty good job of updating the app so it could have changed since the last time I messed with it.

In regards to fixing your issue, my first suggestion is to find a car similar to yours but with the option you want on (or off). So a 2015 Charger R/T or something similar. Get a read (not a backup) of the BCM and associated files from both that car and yours. Then use Notepad++ to compare the two so you can see what settings are different.

Sometimes it isn't completely obvious, we had to mess with stuff for awhile before STP and Launch Control would work. But it wasn't all that difficult.

You might also spend some time in thread like this one. People have posted their read text files, you might find the file you need for the compare already online.

Also, look for user gapi on there and several other forums. He has a 2014 Pursuit and has done a ton of stuff on his.

Also, it isn't unusual for modules like the ABS to have to be put through a reconfig process when changes to the BCM are made. Mopar seems to have set things up so they gather settings from other modules and add them to their own. As an example, swapping the cluster will result in the old VIN in the cluster being replaced with the current VIN. But things like the ABS and other modules have to be forced.

OH and FYI, I found that different versions of AlfaOBD can do different things. I had to source other version than the 2.4.0.0 I was using....

I've got a a couple BCM reads from Challengers, and a 2016 Charger if you want to compare those. There is a lot more overlap than you would think, I see stuff in there that has to be a truck setting. As the years get later, seems like more stuff was added which can make it harder to compare. Plus a read from an earlier version of AlfaOBD can read different than later ones because things like headers changed even though it is just a label difference.

Don't see a way to attach a file. I could past the entire text in if you want, but a PM with an email address is probably the better option. Or a file server.

Actually, I have 2 Charger BCM reads, one 2016 and another 2018. Plus 5 or 6 Challenger reads.

Plug the drivers side seat belt back in. That is what was needed on mine. This will activate the air bag system that they reconfigure to drive without the belt in use.

I've got a a couple BCM reads from Challengers, and a 2016 Charger if you want to compare those. There is a lot more overlap than you would think, I see stuff in there that has to be a truck setting. As the years get later, seems like more stuff was added which can make it harder to compare. Plus a read from an earlier version of AlfaOBD can read different than later ones because things like headers changed even though it is just a label difference.

Don't see a way to attach a file. I could past the entire text in if you want, but a PM with an email address is probably the better option. Or a file server.

Actually, I have 2 Charger BCM reads, one 2016 and another 2018. Plus 5 or 6 Challenger reads.
thanks, but untill i figure out how to read the back up in words, instead of numbers, i wouldnt know what to look for
if i figure it out, il shoot you a PM so we can compare notes

Plug the drivers side seat belt back in. That is what was needed on mine. This will activate the air bag system that they reconfigure to drive without the belt in use.
would this need to happen during a certain programming procedure?

ive ran the car since, and ive worn my seatbelt (in fact i had my boy with me and he wore his) so both have been buckled in but that didnt clear the code

Here's another thread on it, wrong year but maybe some clues?

[/URL]
i read through most of those posts allready
it seems there is a "police fleet back to civilian" option (which only deals with the keys)
and a "police lights" option (which deals with interior options, such as a dimmer switch that will completely black out the dash lights for stake outs

it is the second option that im messing with and is giving me the ABS code

im starting to wonder if there arent a few airbags that they left unplugged in the pursuit version and i just need to fell the BCM to ignore those

not sure what i did with it...but something isnt right

(leaving the police lights and rear door unlocks for what it is) here is a more pressing issue

i tried to install a remote start, and this requires a new set of keys
no problem, right?

simply pull the PIN and reprogram them
well, it wont even let me pull the PIN, nor reset the RF hub

any ideas what went wrong?

1709388809420.png

I never did anything with the keys so I’m no help. Sorry.

What module are using to connect to the OBD2 port? I heard there are some not great ones, and that a direct connection is better that BT. Just tossing it out there in case some of your problems are related to the module you are using.

Almost certain it is an OBDlink MX

The crazy thing is, i can plug it into my truck and pull the pin, or reset the RF hub, no problem

The charger, no dice

Almost certain it is an OBDlink MX

The crazy thing is, i can plug it into my truck and pull the pin, or reset the RF hub, no problem

The charger, no dice

That’s supposed to be the good one. So probably not the issue.

I wonder if they locked the hub or something. As I recall, one of tricks to steal HC and such was to code a new key and drive it away. Not up on all the ways Mopar tried to protect from stuff like that, but maybe locking the hub was one way. Also seems like there was a limited number of keys that can be made for a car? Maybe the limit has been reached for yours and that why you can’t pull the pin? Might have to replace the RF hub. But all just guesses on my part.

Seems like I hear of people going into the network through the headlight to steal cars? Maybe they started doing that because it bypasses a lock on the hub or something.

I will see if I can find the YT video where they talked about the headlight trick.

Sorry I’m no real help.

This is the video I was think of:

Funny thing is, after watching it I realized I never actually watched it the first time. Either way, the really interesting thing is the article linked in the description. Fascinating stuff, and not even a year old.

In the end, I don’t think it is your issue. But the more I think about it, I still wonder if the RF hub wasn’t locked down somehow. If you think about it, all it takes is a blank key, a $100 ODB2 dongle and a $50 phone app and you can steal any car you want if you can get into it. So it makes some sense that Mopar would come up with a way to lock things down so someone couldn’t pull a PIN.

Add that after I sold my Challenger, I seem to remember Mopar offering something to make vehicles harder to steal, and it sticks in my head it came with a disclaimer that after the fix keys could not be programmed anymore without replacing the RF hub. I might be mixing things up but that kind of seems to fit.

thanks for looking all that up for me

im thinking i must have done something with alpha myself which inadvertently set off a safety protocol or something, because i could have sworn it worked on the charger before

of course, with it being an ex police car, who knows what all secrets it holds

id really like to figure this one out thought, because i am one programmed key and a RF hub restart away from having remote start working on it

-
Back