Any ANG guys

-

shredxcam

Reaction score
Anybody on here Air national Guard?

im fixing to send in my application for palace chase, been active 4 years usaf.

trying to get in at scott aft working tankers

I'm not in the Guard but I am I'm the Reserves don't know if this will help

ANG for many years, best part time job in the world. Currently a C-130 Flight Engineer, previously C-130 Crew Chief, previously POL guy in the Army (82d Airborne). So I've jumped out of them, worked on them and flown on them.

I'd be happy to (unofficially) answer any questions you might have, and offer a crusty old TSgt's perspective.

Why Palace Chase? Are you being Force Shaped? The economy is getting better, but I'm not sure I'd give up an active duty gig,without a pretty solid plan. Seen too many do so and wish they hadn't.

i got my union job at ups still and some other possibilities open.

palace chase.. cause i don't want to extend or reenlist and i want to leave my squadron and nellie asap among a million other things

on thing to is the change in promotions are making it a real good ol boys club to make rank

If you think active duty is a good ole boy system don't join the reserves or guard

lol yea, it doesn't bother be as the system has worked for me but for making Tsgt or Msgt it'll be hard especially if you don't have a BA or masters degree

So in the ANG or AFRC your ability to be promoted is strictly dependent on the UMD (Unit Manning Document). No testing, just your PME (most likely a CDC and not in residence). I've been E-6 promotable for about 6 years now, and 2 more must retire/die before I can make E-7. I'm an E-6 in an E-6 slot. I will probably ask for the "Master Stripe of Death" next summer meaning I'll be overgrade so I'll have to retire after 2 years unless an E-7 slot opens up. The politics of an ANG/AFRC unit are different than active duty, but still very much there. If you didn't start out there, you'll be the new guy for the first 28 years or so. If your father, grandfather or both were in the unit, or still are, it will certainly help.

Don't let me scare you away,the ANG is a pretty good gig. And, if you MUST work tankers, well, it's still better than fighters (unless you never want to go anywhere). Would you entertain a commute to Peoria for a decent job? (or longevity?)

What's your DAFSC? Do you plan to retrain?

Nellie (Nellis?) I fly out of Reno. If you want to stay out west, we're a pretty good outfit.

And WTF is a "union job"?

Promotions in all active and reserve units are "good ol' boy" to a certain extent, and they always have been, but UMD slots are what shoot you to the top, or lock you in place.
After four years active duty, I went from E4 to MSGT in six years, and retired with twelve years in grade. However, the choice was mine. I could have gotten my degree, which would have allowed promotion to one grade over the slot, or I could have cross trained.

I loved my AF job, and while more pay is always welcome it wasn't worth retraining, and at my age I simply had no desire to go back to school as both my military and civilian jobs required too much of my time.

I hate living out west.

If I could be sra for life I would be

My AFSC 2a2x1. Part of the heavies avionics destruction a couple years ago. I was a 2a5x3a.
I work on hh-60s out here

And I don't plan on retiring from ang at this point.

-
Back