Any garage like this in your area

-
Hobby shop on base? Seriously, the liability insurance here in CA would kill it instantly. We do have many "maker" shops here with metal/woodworking tools and such but no car lifts! Wonder how long those hand tools will last. Good luck, $45 is cheap, the maker shops are $150/mo here. $10K gets you a lifetime membership.

I can't imagine what kind of liability insurance is req'd or what it would cost.

Funny thing is, I had a similar idea just a few weeks ago. There is a defunct auto dealership nearby, and my brainstorm was to lease the place for a club like this. The service garage could be partitioned off for members to sub-lease; chain link fencing to provide some security for your tools/parts/belongings, but common compressed air, water, facilities, etc. Lot and show room could be used by members to sell their cars or others for consignment sales. A lot of details (and, I'm sure headaches) to pull this off. I'm way past the age to want to take on something like this, but it sure sounds like fun.

We had one here in Salt Lake that lasted a few years but closed down recently. Not a hang out and shoot pool place but a legitimate place to work on cars. I thought the concept was good. It was right across from the Napa retail/warehouse and parts were discounted. You could rent a bay by the hour, day or month, price varied on the type of lift you needed. Tools were available for an addition cost depending on if you needed all the tools or just specialty tools. Mitchell online was available and they had ASE tech's to help if needed or it was also a working shop and you could just drop your car off and have them fix it. As I recall, prices were fair but for whatever reason it never seemed to catch on.

Sounds great, but... If only one lift, how many bays? Always nice if looking for a hangout, but at $45 a month I need to actually use it for a garage. Will there be a space available when I need to work on my car?

Why is that.. Maybe a little over energetic, but think it's a great idea.. I'd like access to a lift, and a place to work on my cars in the winter.
One of the pictures has some wrenches and it is not a complete set.
00V0V_e18HLWWSnoh_600x450.jpg

First place set up like this was called Loves Garage IIRC and in Northern Calif (yea. imagine that). Mike Ritz (Team Starfish tribute race car) used it a few times.

We used to have a place called "Rent-A-Bay". It had stalls for rent, some with hoists, welders etc.
A guy rented a bay for a few days to work on his motor home. He decided to fry a turkey while he worked and burned the place down!

Last edited:
Like @pishta said, most military bases have Auto Hobby Shops. Last time I used one I think it was $3 /hr. I've spend many many hours there. Lifts, tire changers, specialty tools, just about everything you need...and experienced ASE certified techs to give advice.

I was working on my Jeep in an auto hobby shop one day when one of the workers yelled "Hey Trace, Colonel is on the phone" I ran and grabbed the phone...it was my wife!!! :D

I have considered this over and over again. Just not feasable in a small town. Theres a place for sale,could have 10 bays easy.
A couple hoists, all the shop equipment .
Hand tools are owners choice.
Rent or supply own.
Hourly daily weekly monthly.

To heat and light the place would be expensive,guys would be there all hours of the day/night and i could see booze involved and resulting injuries.
If humans could be trusted to make good choices it could be a fun enterprise...

We used to have one near here in the 80s, but it didn’t survive for more than a year or so. All of the issues described above doomed it.

I think it’s a Verizon store now.

We had a place called "You Lube".

Didn't last a year.

I'll have to ask my cousins about that place, they have a tire store in Knoxville, bet they might have the skinny on it!

We used to have one near here in the 80s, but it didn’t survive for more than a year or so. All of the issues described above doomed it.

I think it’s a Verizon store now.

Same here in the Sacramento, Ca. area when i discharged out of the Air Force.
Some business people tried those type of "self serv" auto repair buildings with hoists, but they didn't last long, out here, either.

!!!!LIABILITY!!!!!

I used to have a part time job in the 70's (Navy) when I was stationed and NAS Miramar (Top gun/ Fightertown USA if ya forgot) It would take HOURS to remember all the stupid crap guys did, some dangerous, some expensive.

If one of you "gets into" this business, you better have M-O-N-E-Y for lawyers and liability insurance because you will need IT!!

This is multiplied by today's EPA laws, just imagine a shop floor full of ATF/ anti freeze/ 90W and good old engine oil.

And don't forget, one of these gomers could just burn your shop to the ground, and if it's in a shared building,........................................................................

-
Back