Any good way to make the brake lights brighter?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Hey All:

I'm wondering if there's any way to brighten up the taillights and brakelights.

Also curios about making the turn signals flash a little faster.

Mine seem kind of dim, but it may just be because I'm used to newer cars.

I don't drive at night a lot, but I don't want to get run into because someone didn't notice my brake lights.

Thanks for any help

Steve

Good questions. Same on my 72. Tail lights are small and need some help.

I'll be interested in any answers you get.

Clean the lens really well. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight. Check to see what voltage you have at the socket.

Just off the top of my head.

fastmopar
71 Dart Swinger

They make actual LED kits that can fit into your taillight housing and make them substantially brighter vs the original filament bulbs. As far as flashing faster you might be able to change the little flasher canister under the dash but I am not sure if that would work I have never heard of faster and slower ones but as far as it goes that is the only thing I know that controls the flashing.

Jeff

The best way to make them brighter is to actually get 12v to them. If you measure your voltage at the head or tail lights it is less than 12v. To do this you would have to use relays that would have a direct feed from the battery. The existing wires would be used to actuate the relays. There is some really good information on just how much your light output is afected here http://danielsternlighting.com/

You can paint the inside of your tail light housing with a chrome paint or lay aluminum foil in the back to get a better reflection, I have dun this before and it helps allot !!! It really brightened them up allot.
Change out your flashing unit like some one here has said, I had to do this to my 63 Valiant when I hooked my little John boat up and it speeded my flashers up

Personally, I installed a pair of LED replacement bulbs for my stock 1157's. I replaced the front parking/turn signal bulbs w/ LED's too. I also wired in an electronic flasher relay (from a Maxima IIRC...) and they flash bright and fast. The electronic falsher just requires you add a single ground wire to the 2 exsisting wires. As for the LED bulbs, I bought the ones with LED's wrapped around the edge so they throw light all around. On a `68 Barracuda it's all I need since the damn tail lights are the size of a book of matches.

They work great, all for less than $30.

Thanks for all the tips fellas.

I'm going to go through and clean the connections tonight, as well as look into other options. I think I'll change out the flasher if I can find one someplace.

Jeff, is there a source for the LEDs you mentioned?

Thanks

Steve

Swapping the 1157 bulbs for some 2057 bulbs will get you a few extra lumens. The 2057 was used in various cars with smoked taillight lenses when the 1157 wouldn't quite do the job.

edit to add: upon some actual digging, the 2357 is the one to use. My brain is comprised largely of holes this week.

if you clean all the connections so they get really good contack and eliminate any connections that are questionable or that are not needed that will help. solder as many connections as you can. just eliminate any resistance you can that will for sure help. i like the idea or getting the housing brighter to with chrome paint

There are halogen tail light bulbs available that are a direct replacement. They are part # H1157 made by Eiko. I have them in the tailights on my bikes and they are twice as bright as a standard 1157 bulb. Plus they only cost around $5.00 a pop! I looked into the LED replacement bulb and like Mad/Mat said they are great when you look at them straight on but to the sides they are dull.
If I ever finish my Demon they will be in the tailights on it too!
Ted

I had a similar problem years ago with our first 67 notch. The lenses had darkened with age. It occured to me that this was a very large fixure for just 1 little bulb so.. out came the hole saw and 2 more bulb sockets were added to each fixture. and there was light! I dont know if this would apply to your vehicle annd different fixtures. Good luck

Well, I guess the first problem to solve would be to make sure its got 12V. If it doesn't,halogens definitely aren't going to help since they need more juice than the stockers. The LEDs might since they'll get closer to their potential with less than 12V.

I'll be doing the chrome paint also.

Steve

The best way to make them brighter is to actually get 12v to them. If you measure your voltage at the head or tail lights it is less than 12v. To do this you would have to use relays that would have a direct feed from the battery. The existing wires would be used to actuate the relays. There is some really good information on just how much your light output is afected here http://danielsternlighting.com/

Thanks for posting this site. Was thinking of this today and wondering about which mag it was in and having to find it. I apologize for the interruption, now back to the thread.

If you switch to LED lamps you may need to upgrade your flasher unit as well. The LED units don't draw nearly as much power as the 1157's, so there may not be enough current draw in the circuit to make a thermal flasher unit work properly.

Sylvania sells a Silverstar 1157 bulb that is supposed to be brighter, newer, whiter, hipper, whatever. I haven't played with them. As I recall they were about 10 bucks a pair?

wouldn't a lower voltage at the lights compared to battery be a grounding issue? I just went through this. I added a grounding strap from the block to firewall, then went through all the grounds. I now get full voltage and the lights are plenty bright.

Clean the lens really well.

all good thoughts here, let me add one often overlooked area.

clean the INSIDE of the lenses. "stumbled" on this after a
body shop did repairs on my 67. rear 1/4 wrk, harness out.

r&r'd the housings , dish soap & a bottle brush through the
lamp mount opening. scrub & flush, air dry.

all lenses have a refractory design on the inside. a little
dirt/dust causes a very significant drop in "luminosity"

-
Back