Any Interest in Hemi Strokers?

-
Ok some quick background. I have been an ASE certified tech for the last 15 years and for 8 of those years I have worked for several performance shops specializing in engine building, head swaps, cam design, and forced induction. I got involved with the hemi crowd in 2006 when the engine was still an infant. I was involved in the first Pro-charged hemi then I got into the Strokers. My main reason for getting into the big motors was I wanted to see how much these engines could handle with large amounts of boost after seeing a few stock engines fail under low boost levels. I personally built over 20 3rd Gen Hemi strikers with various combo's from N/A to big boost. I built a 2006 Magnum for SEMA using an Inertia Stroker and an F1 Pro-Charger that made over 800 hp to the tires through the Nag1 Trans.

I got out of the business a few years ago because of the economy and disagreement with my former employer.

Thanks for that John. Are you doing this on your own as a side thing or looking to get back in the business?

Prices is great so if you're holding out because you're not sure, check it out and get on board.

Thanks for that John. Are you doing this on your own as a side thing or looking to get back in the business?

Prices is great so if you're holding out because you're not sure, check it out and get on board.
Will to be honest it's a little bit of both.

My main motivation is to save people some money and I enjoy doing it so it's a bit of a hobby. If I do well maybe eventually I will turn it into a full time gig. I'm not going at this alone I have a few folks that are close friends that will be helping me. Both of them are modern Hemi owners that have been inside these engines themselves several times. I honestly didn't think I would get the response I've gotten so far. I have always had a passion for going fast and I have kind of an OCD when it comes to engines.

This thread was really meant as a feeler, so to get the response like I did makes me feel confident that I'm going in the right direction.

That's great to hear John. Any idea what kind of power gains can be anticipated (roughly) going from 5.7 to 410, N/A, EFI, with matching cam? At this point would the limiting factor be heads and if so, what would you recommend? Thanks again.

That's great to hear John. Any idea what kind of power gains can be anticipated (roughly) going from 5.7 to 410, N/A, EFI, with matching cam? At this point would the limiting factor be heads and if so, what would you recommend? Thanks again.
Well if you want to do an apples to apples comparison a stock 5.7 in a new charger will lay down around 285-300 at the tires upgrading to just a nice set of ported heads and a well designed cam can turn that to close to 400 hp N/A through a Nag1 5 speed with a tcm and torque management fighting you the whole time. USCG Jason had a head and cam Charger that ran deep into the 12's on heads and cam alone in a 4400 lb car. Now the gains with a Stroker on stock heads will be minimal at best. Expect a bump in hp about 35-40 hp to the wheels but expect almost 80-90 ftlbs of Torque Now you pair that up with a High flowing head and a good cam some dyno tuning or a wide band with street tuning and say a 90mm throttle body through a 5/6 speed manual trans you are looking 500-525 hp and probably in the neighborhood of 550-575 ftlbs of Torque.

Here is what I'm building for myself when I get some time to do it. 5.7 based 392 Stroker with 09 eagle heads ported with good springs and retainers. A custom ground comp cam probably around 8.5:1 compression with either a D1sc Pro-charger or 2 65A/R turbos running about 8-10 psi should get me around 750-800 rwhp and get about 19-20 mpg's and be completely street drivable and very well mannered

So I'm looking for 450-500 to the tires, I do the stroker, matching cam you mentioned, can I get away with just some head work or is a head swap needed? All this assuming stock car intake. Thanks again John, looking forward to this...

So I'm looking for 450-500 to the tires, I do the stroker, matching cam you mentioned, can I get away with just some head work or is a head swap needed? All this assuming stock car intake. Thanks again John, looking forward to this...
Will there is a great myth out there on head swaps. All the heads you can buy today are ported stock castings. No one has stepped up to make an aftermarket core to use yet and that hasn't slowed down anyone. These heads are very good flowing heads compared to old school chevy heads and what not. I really like the new Dodge 09 and up heads and they are refered to eagle heads in the LX world because they call the 09-up hemi the eagle engine they are a more affordable version of the 6.1 head and out flow a mildly ported 6.1 head out of the box. You have to be very careful who does the port work on the heads though because you can actually lose power if they change certain areas of the heads. You kill port velocity you kill the power on these things. I would really to get deeper into this but right now I'm talking to a buddy of mine about getting a bit more serious about this little adventure so I don't want to say anything I might regret later. I will say this if you decide to do what we talked about I will be able to do everything you need and more.

Swiss,

Remember Dyno numbers are just numbers that have huge variables depending on the actual dyno (mustang, dynojet, etc.). Also the weather plays a huge part in the numbers as well.. hot humid day vs cold crisp day. The bottom line is what gains are you trying to net? Not doubt in my Military mind that we can get you very close to your goals with just ported eagle heads, ported 6.1 intake, and custom cam. That way if you decide to go bigger later you can set up to a forged short block that stroked to perfection. :-D

Just to clarify my 2006 charger 4400lb car ran 11.46 NA...:toothy10:

Thanks Jason, and John. For intake I am going to go with the Precision Metalcraft intake. It's pricey but it's a great looking piece and I understand it puts up good numbers, though I don't know what they are for certain. Rob may know better than I. Are saying to get to 450-500 at the wheels a head, custom cam, and intake can get to that range?

Thanks Jason, and John. For intake I am going to go with the Precision Metalcraft intake. It's pricey but it's a great looking piece and I understand it puts up good numbers, though I don't know what they are for certain. Rob may know better than I. Are saying to get to 450-500 at the wheels a head, custom cam, and intake can get to that range?

Swiss,

One thing to be cautious on with that intake is your loss of lower end torque. I have a friend that has one and he did back to back dyno testing on it. it gained 15-18 hp up top, but loss 10-13 torque down low. If your car is going to be mostly street driven then I'd say keep your $3500 and spend it else where. Just My opinion. As far as HP number from heads, cam, and intake. I say they would be closer to the 450 RWHP. I base this number on what is being made on the LX platform which has transmission computer module (TCM) restrictions that hold it back, which we don't have. So do I actually think in our cars we can make more RWHP? Absolutely! How much more? Not sure but we will soon find out. 8)

Jason

Jason

Thanks for the input Jason. I know it's only estimates at this point, but what do you think a 410 storker, cam, heads, intake would be in the range of, 500+? Just looking to get an idea. I had planned originally to do the stroker at some point so I will still go that direction but after that flow will need to be addressed and I'm just curious the payoff at that point. Thanks again to both of you.

Will

Thanks for the input Jason. I know it's only estimates at this point, but what do you think a 410 storker, cam, heads, intake would be in the range of, 500+? Just looking to get an idea. I had planned originally to do the stroker at some point so I will still go that direction but after that flow will need to be addressed and I'm just curious the payoff at that point. Thanks again to both of you.

Will

I'd say 500RWHP is a very reasonable number.

Yup spend the $1000 on the ported 6.1 intake and use the remainder to buy you new tires b/c your gonna need them. :snakeman:

Precision's intake is about $2700 it includes fuel rails and coil mounts (I believe). Jeff modeled it after a stock intake, so the runner length is about the same. The TB is mounted a little lower and back, and Will is going to need all the clearance help he can get.

But I agree the intake is definately more of an appearance thing when you consider the "bang for your buck"

Johnsparts, post some build pics of a GenIII you built when you can.

-
Back