Anybody else raising their grandkids?

-

ChazRam

1964 Valiant V200
Reaction score
I have custody of two of my grandkids from my oldest son and his wife. They both have really turned into 'pant loads' and it really put me in a bad way having to go through all the legal and personal stuff to get this done. That is part of the reason I was offline for awhile and has lots to do with me spending little time on the web now. Just want to hear some stories about others in the same sutuation as me. If you want the LONG story about my situation just ask. I just did not want to bore everyone to death with my story, thanks!!
Chas.

Not all by myself, my daughter and granddaughter lived with me till she was 6, so not really the same thing. I miss them though, it sure is quite at home now!!!

How old are the grandkids? So are their parents letting you raise them without innerfearence?

Going through it also Chas. Spent a pile of money to get custody from the crack addict father and crazy, (as in mentally disturbed), daughter of ours. The grandkids are now damaged goods because of their upbringing. It's not their fault but they are not willing to change and they are a handful. We will get through it all and they will have a better life in the longrun, (hopefully), but it is taking it's toll on us as well. My wife is 12 years older than me and is retired, she has yet to be able to enjoy the retirement she had envisioned.

Jack

We're not raising the grand-daughter, but I daycare for her until mom & dad get home. She's in preschool now so I get 3 mornings off a week. It has been a joy to spend time with her. I retired early to be able to do this and it was worth the price. I don't get much time with shop or cars during week, but little girl is learning her way around tools and shop.

Not I, personally, but my oldest sister and bro-in-law have legally adopted both of the grands after the state awarded them custody a few years back.

One of the supervisors here at work has custody of his two grandkids. His daughter never grew up, always some drama, no idea who the oldest's father is, the youngest's father is in jail. Sad situation.

My kids go to a nice, small Christian private school (about 100 students K-5) and it seems like about 20% of the kids are being raised by Grands. I may be off on the figures, but it is a lot. It seems like this is getting to be more and more normal.

I am in the same boat. We are raising two of our Grandchildren. One from my Stepson (7 yr old boy)and one of my Stepdaughters kids(5 yr old girl). We have had custody of them since they were born. Both step kids don't have the sense to come in out of the rain. They were brought up right but choose to not do the right thing or make the smart decisions. We get absolutely No help from either of these kids in supporting the upbringing of these kids. It is very expensive and not fair to have to be doing "Round Two" so to speak, but what can you do? It is not the kids fault... they never asked to be born and we decided it would be better for us to raise them instead of them going to State custody.

WHEW! God bless the lot of yea for doing what your doing!

I am in the same boat. We are raising two of our Grandchildren. One from my Stepson (7 yr old boy)and one of my Stepdaughters kids(5 yr old girl). We have had custody of them since they were born. Both step kids don't have the sense to come in out of the rain. They were brought up right but choose to not do the right thing or make the smart decisions. We get absolutely No help from either of these kids in supporting the upbringing of these kids. It is very expensive and not fair to have to be doing "Round Two" so to speak, but what can you do? It is not the kids fault... they never asked to be born and we decided it would be better for us to raise them instead of them going to State custody.

Got you beat maniac, we are on round 3. We had ours,(3 girls and a boy), then the wife's sisters kids, (1 boy, 1 girl), now the grand kids, (1 girl, 1 boy). There will not be a round 4, we are getting to old.

Jack

Not raising grand kids, but we raise our neices. Same basic deal though. Former brother in law / former best friend skipped town after getting fired from job and burning eveery bridge in town leaving sister in law with nothing but a worsening drug habbit depression etc. Had to go get the kids off of the floor of a ****** dealers house. It got crazy to say the least. Been through all kinds of DRAMA. We went to court to get custody and won easily.

Not having any kids of my own and still trying to grow up myself (32 y.o.). It has been nothing short of the most trying timeof my life. They see thier dad every couple of months and thier mother every day after school. It is hard to teach them because the rules of my house are not shared at other places. We have had them for 3 years now. They are 13 and 11. We did have the oldest one too for a while but she decided that she could do what she wanted when she wanted if she moved in with her mother & grand mother. She missed 12 times more school in the first 3 months afterwards than she missed in the 2 years she lived with me..... She is a senior now and if she misses many more days, she will not graduate with her class..... Sad really. But she is an "adult" now so she owns her decisions.

The other 2 are difficult at times as one could understand after all they have been through. But my wife and I do the best we can. They now do well in school and are growing up so fast...

I wish all of you who are these kids in need the best of luck. In the end, all the hard work and sacrifice will be worth it.

Here is my Family: Front: Angel & Ally Rear: Myself and My wife, Rachel.

Attachments

• DSCF6118.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 160
This is a picture of them. We took them to a Farm around Halloween and had some fun. Brandon is the little guy, he will be two next month. Brianna will be four in July. Its a full time job taking care of them. I am not complaining though. I am pretty much on cloud nine with these little ones in my life. My day starts at 2:30am. Off to work to drive the semi. I put from 10 to 12 hours a day in. Average 55+ hours a week (5 days). Pick up my teenage daughter from school at 4pm. Pick up the grandkids at 5pm. Have dinner (which my wife makes while I taxi kids around). Bathtime for the kiddies at 7pm. They go off to bed at 7:30. I pay a bill or two, check e mails, drop in a load of clothes or garbage duty or have to fix something etc. and get to bed about 8:30/9pm. I still have not figured out how I get to work on the Dart yet. My life is full but I am in a very good place and I am getting the most enjoyment that I can. Life is short and kids grow up so fast. I am just glad to be a part of their lives and share the time we have. As for my son and his wife they are pieces of work. I wont air out much dirty laundry here but the conditions they had these kids living in and the selfish way they put their needs ahead of their kids needs left much to be desired. These grandkids came out of a terrible living situation I would not wish on anybody and they are doing well despite it all. There is some issues here and there but we are working on them. It just has been an emotional roller coaster and this whole custody change has been taxing in many ways. We are just taking it one day at a time and looking on the bright side of things.
Chas

Attachments

• 001 (640x480).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 154
By the way, you can see I am no young guy myself and even having a Monday through Friday schedule that has me running 18 hours straight I still find time to do stuff. It may seem strange to some but for me its great. I am happy and my life is full. Cant say I am bored!!!
Chas

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 135
God bless you all for what you are doing. I think now a days kids need to be fixed or sterilized until they pass a psychological test to see if they are fit or not to be parents!!

I have custody of two of my grandkids from my oldest son and his wife. They both have really turned into 'pant loads' and it really put me in a bad way having to go through all the legal and personal stuff to get this done. That is part of the reason I was offline for awhile and has lots to do with me spending little time on the web now. Just want to hear some stories about others in the same sutuation as me. If you want the LONG story about my situation just ask. I just did not want to bore everyone to death with my story, thanks!!
Chas.

i wasn't rasing them but had them living with me for 11mos and boy do i miss them not being here a 3yo girl and a 1yo girl lol big pain in the butt but i really do miss it now that there are gone i drive 90mins to see the twice a week will be leaving here thrudays to see them and staying untill sunday

God bless you all for what you are doing. I think now a days kids need to be fixed or sterilized until they pass a psychological test to see if they are fit or not to be parents!!

This!

These stories are really heart warming and great to read. We are all better for it, thanks for what you are doing! You are making a positive impact on their lives that money can not buy. Good on all of you!

By the way, you can see I am no young guy myself and even having a Monday through Friday schedule that has me running 18 hours straight I still find time to do stuff. It may seem strange to some but for me its great. I am happy and my life is full. Cant say I am bored!!!
Chas

Who can complain about having Santa for a Grandpa?:cheers:

Yeah, guess I had that one coming 'spaz'. Why does everyone think I look like Santa??? I am MUCH younger!!!! ROFL.
Chas

Ikes you folks are my heros. I have a 3 year old daughter and a 5 year old son who
are my world. I know if I where in the same boat my parents would do the same as you. I do not plan on it happening but you never know what the next day will hold.

Wife and I have had total custody of our 10 year old granddaughter since she was 2. We had her at home most of the time before it came to the state awarding us full custody. I promised her when she was about a week old I would take care of her because I knew then that my daughter and the POS Dad wouldn't. She tells everyone now that she has Papaw wrapped around her finger...and she does. I now have 2 granddaughters and love them both more than I could ever tell. Here's a pic of them together a couple months ago.

Attachments

• GEDC0676.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 88
-
Back